False Battery Warnings -- BlueCurve Remote

kenohrn
Grasshopper

We have BlueCurve and 2 remotes (XR11, fw 1.1.3.8.).

When using fresh NiMH batteries, both will show depleted battery warnings within a few days, yet continue to function for weeks. 

If the batteries are removed on the first warning, they recharge within 20 minutes.  This indicates they are not depleted. 

Is it possible that these remotes are sensing battery voltage, and give false warnings due to NiMH batteries being 1.2 v, whereas alkaline batteries are 1.5 volts when fresh?

Labels (2)
11 Replies

Alkaline batteries act the same, I get low battery warnin...

rstra
Grand Master

Alkaline batteries act the same, I get low battery warnings, but will ignore it for a few weeks without any problem.

Battery Fun

kenohrn
Grasshopper

Hi:  I've had new, fresh NiMH batteries in a Shaw BlueCurve remote for about 2 weeks now.  I've ignored constant warnings about low battery.

Today, looking for something else, I went to BlueCurve Preferences and found that the remote thinks its batteries' level is zero.  [See attached screen photo]. False battery warningFalse battery warning

But the remote works just fine.

I continue to think that this remote creates false battery warnings.  

I ignore the warnings as well. I use the old fashioned me...

rstra
Grand Master

I ignore the warnings as well. I use the old fashioned method, replace the batteries when it stops working.

An update:  the same batteries from 2020-06-07 are still...

kenohrn
Grasshopper

An update:  the same batteries from 2020-06-07 are still in the remote and work fine.

The low battery warnings have stopped. 

Hi All:  a final post. These same batteries gave out yest...

kenohrn
Grasshopper

Hi All:  a final post.

These same batteries gave out yesterday, when the remote stopped working.  It wouldn't process voice commands.

Despite more or less continuous warnings since their June installation, the batteries lasted until December 20, 2020. 

Something is wrong with the remote's sensing of battery capacity. 

Exactly. I use the old fashioned method, the batteries ar...

rstra
Grand Master

Exactly. I use the old fashioned method, the batteries are dead when they stop working. 

Is Shaw looking at this issue?  It’s suddenly happening a...

Daffydill
Grasshopper

Is Shaw looking at this issue?  It’s suddenly happening all the time, many times an hour, and getting very annoying. 

-- at the top of this discussion thread, I see: 2020-06-0...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Daffydill -- at the top of this discussion thread, I see:

2020-06-07 01:47 PM
When using fresh NiMH batteries, both will show depleted battery warnings within a few days, yet continue to function for weeks.

Is it possible that these remotes are sensing battery voltage, and give false warnings due to NiMH batteries being 1.2 v, whereas alkaline batteries are 1.5 volts when fresh?

So, are you using rechargeable NiMH (1.2 volts) batteries, or carbon-zinc (or alkaline) 1.5V batteries?

Do you have a multimeter, that can measure the wattage of each battery? Fresh (or freshly recharged) batteries should show over 5 Amperes.

0 Kudos

I have been burning through Alkaline batteries with my ne...

Beeshu1
Grasshopper

I have been burning through Alkaline batteries with my new remote every 3 weeks. On my old remote they lasted a year. Can I have my old remote back. This is ridiculous and expensive. When the message says my remote batteries are low, it stops working. I can still run a clock for a month on the same battery. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help