Intermittent sound loss

ziggurcat
Grasshopper

I've noticed intermittent sound loss over the last week.  Nothing in my HT setup has been changed/altered, and it was all fine and good up until recently.  It's not the first time I've encountered this, but it's been a long while since this has happened.  Would be great if this can be resolved.

I'm still also dealing with a problem where going into Netflix or YouTube via Shaw's internal app causes my remote to lose the 30 second skip functionality.   

Labels (2)
26 Replies

Sorry, I should clarify that the sound drops for about 1...

ziggurcat
Grasshopper

Sorry, I should clarify that the sound drops for about 1 second at a time, there's no specific intervals, it just sort of happens occasionally. 

0 Kudos

That is happening to us as well. CC isn't affected. Begin...

kbsharpe
Grasshopper

That is happening to us as well. CC isn't affected. Beginning to tick me off!!!

-- within this peer-to-peer discussion forum, there are m...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@ziggurcat -- within this peer-to-peer discussion forum, there are many threads about "intermittent" streaming.  Please use the "search" function to find & read them.

0 Kudos

within this peer-to-peer discussion forum, there are many...

ziggurcat
Grasshopper

within this peer-to-peer discussion forum, there are many thread about the same topics, but I don't see you telling anyone else to use the search function.  If you can't offer any helpful advice, don't bother replying.

Same here.  Sound drops off for a second or two.

robocci
Grasshopper

Same here.  Sound drops off for a second or two.

This seems to be a recurring issue with Shaw, and almost...

ziggurcat
Grasshopper

This seems to be a recurring issue with Shaw, and almost always every 6-8 months.  

If I rewind live TV after I've seen the issue, it repeats in the same spot, so the problem is anywhere from the signal source to the TV, but I know my HDMI cable is perfectly fine.  I think if it were my HDMI cable, I don't believe the problem would show up in the same spot after rewinding footage. 

I've performed a system refresh, restart, power cycle by unplugging the Xi6 box and coax from the source for a few minutes.  None of it has resolved the issue.   Last time this happened, it was the hardware (probably the internal HDD), but who knows since the Xi6 doesn't have a hard drive that could potentially corrupt/get damaged.  It could even be the XB6 modem since it is the oldest piece of equipment in the chain (I've had it for at least 4 years, now).

I can try a different ethernet cable to connect to the modem, and that's about the only other logical thing I can think of as the cause.  Beyond that, I think I'm going to have to speak to tech to see if there's anything they can see on their end, and more than likely swap out the equipment. 

0 Kudos

> there are many thread about the same topics Yes, that w...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> there are many thread about the same topics

Yes, that was the point. No sense in repeating the advice that was given, by several contributors, into this thread.

I don't see you telling anyone else to use the search function

That is your failure, not mine.

If you can't offer any helpful advice, don't bother replying.

Go ahead, grasshopper, and shoot the messenger.

Did you do a search for "intermittent", and were the results helpful?

0 Kudos

Does the audio drop happen on all channels or just specif...

rstra
Grand Master

@ziggurcat Does the audio drop happen on all channels or just specific ones, and does it happen on all Xi6 boxes?

With the 30 second skip, I assume you mean when you exit YouTube and Netflix and return to cable, you lose the 30 second skip function. I just tested it here, and I don’t lose the function, but I am on XG1v4 with an Xid, maybe someone else on an Xi6 can try.

0 Kudos

The audio drop (which is followed by a small glitch in th...

ziggurcat
Grasshopper

The audio drop (which is followed by a small glitch in the video signal) appears to affect every channel that I've been on so far, so I can assume it's all channels.  I am including the Stingray music channels since I have witnessed it there, too.  Sometimes it's once in an hour, other times it's about every 5 minutes.  I'm not sure about it affecting all Xi6 boxes - I only have the one.

Yes, precisely that - it's not 100% of the time, but most times the functionality is lost, and I will have to restart the Xi6 box or hope that going back into Netflix/YouTube brings it back, which has happened.  Yeah, I had no such issue when I had the XG1v4, so it's a little strange that the Xi6 (at least my specific unit) has this issue since as far as the software is concerned, it's identical AFAIK.    

At this point I think if swapping the ethernet cable from the Xi6 box to the XB6 modem doesn't resolve anything, I'll have to speak to tech support.  I'm not 100% convinced that a faulty cable would have the glitch repeat in the same spot when rewinding footage, though - not unless the coaxial somehow decided it wasn't going to work all of a sudden (and at that point, I'd notice something with the internet signal, which is perfectly fine).  I'm guessing either Shaw has had some unreported signal issues, my Xi6 or XB6 units are biting the bullet or my building's just awful.     

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help