Looking to upgrade to wireless 4K TV Boxes

petey
Grasshopper

I'm currently running Gen 1 bluesky tv hardware and the bluecurve gateway modem, 1gbps. I'm looking to upgrade my set top TV boxes to 4K. Shaw states that the 4K will not work when the gateway modem is in bridged mode, this is the way I am currently setup. Shaw also states that they won't support modems setup in bridged mode, so is this the same statement or with the 4K boxes physically not work when the modem is bridged? I would likely hardwire the new boxes into my home network, so wouldn't be using the wifi at all. Is this something I can setup on my own, or is this something that will physically not operate? I find it hard to believe that this technology isn't advanced enough that I can assign a custom SSID and the boxes will connect over my network?

Thanks!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

You could switch to the XG1v4 if you are just looking to...

rstra
Grand Master

You could switch to the XG1v4 if you are just looking to get 4K. I have heard that the wireless boxes will work with third party routers, but not supported. Maybe someone else has some first hand experience with that, I will post the link if I can find it again. 

0 Kudos

This is the link

rstra
Grand Master

@petey 

This is the link 

0 Kudos

Grandmaster  -- this is the link No, it is not. The "page...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Grandmaster @rstra -- this is the link

No, it is not. The "page 3" of that thread that you cited answers a different question.  

0 Kudos

He seems like a smart person and will be able to figure o...

rstra
Grand Master

@mdk He seems like a smart person and will be able to figure out that clicking the green check will take him to the accepted answer. Thanks for the input.

QED

0 Kudos

-- I find it hard to believe that this technology isn't a...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@petey -- I find it hard to believe that this technology isn't advanced enough that I can assign a custom SSID and the boxes will connect over my network?

You would need to match the SSID that you create on your router to match the SSID that a non-bridged BlueCurve  pod is broadcasting (on a "hidden" SSID). The question is whether a bridged BlueCurve will still broadcast the SSID(s) that the boxes are trying to access, or whether bridging turns off _all_ WiFi broadcasts.

If you get (for free) a second IP-address from Shaw, you can unbridge the BlueCurve, and use that second (public) IP-address for the "uplink" Ethernet port on your router. Your remote TV-boxes will connect (wirelessly) to the BlueCurve, and your other devices will connect (wired/wireless) to your own router.

0 Kudos

UPDATE Got my new wireless equipment yesterday. Plugged i...

petey
Grasshopper

UPDATE

Got my new wireless equipment yesterday. Plugged it in with a cat5 cable, boom, everything sync'd up, activated, no issues. Why does shaw have to be so difficult saying this wont work, when it clearly works seamlessly. I have 3 wired and 1 wireless Xi6 boxes now, all working with no issues. Total install time, 5min? If anyone is on the fence about these boxes, go get them, they work with your bridged modem, no issues.

TALK TO US
We're here to help