METV in Alberta

rjb3
Grasshopper

I just got back from spending a few months on the coast where I got to enjoy METV on KVOS.  Alas, I've been told that METV is currently only available in BC.  Now surely I can't be the only person in the rest of Canada who'd enjoy their particular mix of vintage TV, or look forward to Svengoolie on a Saturday night, so if you could somehow find a way to add a METV affiliate to the channel lineup, I know it would be greatly appreciated.  I'd even be willing to pay the extra few bucks a month to add it to my cable package.

5 Replies

, your sure right METV is awesome, I couldn't imagine cab...

g-idk
Master

@rjb3 , your sure right METV is awesome, I couldn't imagine cable tv without it.  Here's wishing you can get it in Alberta one day.  

If you can't wait for Shaw to add it.  You might want to...

yycchris
Grasshopper

If you can't wait for Shaw to add it.  You might want to try CipherTv which goes through Shaw internet.  They have most of the US digital subchannels like Metv and service Alberta.

0 Kudos

MeTV wouldn’t be available there because it is not approv...

rstra
Grand Master

@yycchris  MeTV wouldn’t be available there because it is not approved by the CRTC for Alberta.

0 Kudos

-- back in the days when every house had a roof-top anten...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rjb3 -- back in the days when every house had a roof-top antenna, KVOS was available "over-the-air" in south-west BC (Duncan, Sidney, Oak Bay, Victoria, Vancouver). So, when "cable-TV" (Rogers or Shaw) was introduced, I can imagine that a selling-point for cable-TV was to continue to access KVOS to their customers.

Currently, KVOS is still available over-the-air, digitally, unscrambled. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVOS-TV for a list of the 7(!) subchannels that they broadcast.

0 Kudos

I grew up in the Lower Mainland, so I remember KVOS back...

rjb3
Grasshopper

I grew up in the Lower Mainland, so I remember KVOS back when it was still a CBS affiliate.  In fact, it catered heavily to the Canadian market back in the day.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help