Pixelation with Shaw HD Channels

thegouef
Grasshopper

I have an issue that popped up in the last week after Shaw made their internet upgrade from 300mbps to 600mbps.

Since the upgrade, I have both an HD box and the XB6 modem coming off of a splitter in one room. Since the upgrade from 300mbps to 600mbps, what I have noticed is ongoing pixelation with the HD box feed to my TV.

Trying to troubleshoot, I have tried the following:

-Power cycling my modem and my HD box;

-Replacing the splitter with a new splitter;

-Replacing the two coax lines from the splitter to the HD box and the XB6.

Unplugging the modem actually solves the TV pixelation problem, but once the modem reconnects to the Shaw network, the pixelation returns. My internet service no matter what is 656mbps downstream and 20mbps upstream. So, internet is unaffected.

I am either thinking this is an interference issue with the coax or the signal might not be strong enough, but I don't know enough to determine if that is the issue. Other televisions in the home are unaffected by the modem being plugged in; it is only this one that is connected to the same splitter the modem is connected to.

When I had the 300mbps plan before the upgrade, I had no pixelation.

Hoping a Shaw rep spots this question.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
14 Replies

Re: Pixelation with Shaw HD Channels

shaw-tamara

Hey thegouef 

That is super weird! I haven't heard of any known issues that would be causing this. It might just be a coincidence in terms of the timing but it does sound like there might be some kind of signal problem. I'd recommend getting in touch with technical support so they can take a look at the signal levels and if needed they can book you a service call. 

0 Kudos

I have the same issue

OsoBill
Grasshopper

Did you get a fix from shaw?

0 Kudos

Hey  what troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

shaw-tony

Hey @OsoBill what troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

0 Kudos

Re-tightened all cable connections, swapped splitter, cha...

OsoBill
Grasshopper

Re-tightened all cable connections, swapped splitter, changed cable to new 600Mbps modem.  Nothing worked.  Consistently;

- disconnect 600Mbps modem, TV works fine

- power off 600Mbps modem and leave cables in place, TV works fine

- turn on 600Mbps modem, TV pixelates, often get notice that content cannot be loaded

this tells me there is interference being generated by the modem, assuming the 600Mbps modems operate at a higher frequency to push more data, there may be an issue with the version of the TV box I have and the new 500Mbps modem

I have contacted support and they will be sending a tech out to check cables, but I have explained already that the existing cable works fine when the modem is connected.  Not sure why remote diagnostics could not determine if there was an interference issue. 

0 Kudos

Sorry, typing to fast, 500Mbps should read 600Mbps, and e...

OsoBill
Grasshopper

Sorry, typing to fast, 500Mbps should read 600Mbps, and existing cable works fine when the modem is DISconnected.

0 Kudos

definitely sounds like there is some interference or poor...

shaw-tony

@OsoBill definitely sounds like there is some interference or poor signal within the set up that is causing this. A technician should be able to review the entire set up and resolve this. Keep me posted.

0 Kudos

I have almost the same issue in Calgary.  I have TVs in 3...

kendj
Grasshopper

I have almost the same issue in Calgary.  I have TVs in 3 rooms and my newer PVR box.
Recently I have been getting intermittent signal loss and the sound on the TV drops off along with pixelization.  I have tried everything including having Shaw online tech troubleshoot.   I have traced it down to the Shaw Hitron modem/router coax connection to the splitter.  If I disconnect the modem coax the TV signal is perfect on all TVs.  Soon as I reconnect the modem coax the interference returns.  I have tested this many times. 
For some reason the modem in the last month has started this problem.  I have a Shaw tech coming shortly but Shaw will try their hardest not to send a tech, but rather waste time troubleshooting over the phone or online. 

0 Kudos

-- Since the upgrade from 300mbps to 600mbps Did the upgr...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@thegouef -- Since the upgrade from 300mbps to 600mbps

Did the upgrade change the cable-modem, e.g., from HITRON (maxes-out at 300 Mbit/second) to XB6 ?

On this forum, I have seen complaints that switching the cable-modem, even without changing speed, caused an issue, because the signal-strength reaching the modem was adequate for the HITRON, but not good-enough for the XB6.

If you contact Shaw, they can remotely logon to your cable-modem, to view the signal-strength (and other values), to see if anything is "out-of-spec".

> Replacing the two coax lines from the splitter to the HD box and the XB6.

And the coaxial-cable from the wall-port to the splitter?

Are the power-cords for the cable-modem and the TV box connected to the same power-bar, to eliminate any possible difference in "ground-voltage" ?

0 Kudos

THANK YOU!!!!! I have been dealing with this forever swit...

Jopal13
Grasshopper

THANK YOU!!!!! I have been dealing with this forever switching cables, splitters, resetting my box. Nothing worked, I could never watch my hockey (the ONLY reason I have TV package...) I unplugged my modem for tonight's game and OH MY GOD it worked and I can enjoy my game. Shaw needs to figure this out....problem is clear as day now.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help