Jump to solution

Pvr recording old shows

Habsfan1
Grasshopper

I have several shows set to record “new episodes only” but the Pvr is filling up with old shows from previous years. I have checked the recording options and they are definitely set up for new only and HD preferred. This has to be a programming issue with the Pvr that it can’t distinguish the old and repeat shows from the new.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

If a program is missing the New/Repeat designation and/or...

shaw-valerie

If a program is missing the New/Repeat designation and/or missing a description entirely, use the form on this page to report the error in the guide information. 

If you are seeing instances where a series is set to record only new episodes, and is recording episodes that are marked as repeats, and not missing the flag, then I'd also advise deleting the recording for that series and setting it up again. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Jump to solution

I have the same question.

Parkts
Grasshopper

I have the same question.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

> This has to be a programming issue with the Pvr that it...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> This has to be a programming issue with the Pvr that it can’t distinguish the old and repeat shows from the new.

What show(s) ?

Your PVR uses the information provided to the Shaw "Guide" by a provider. If the provider marks a program as "new", when it really is "old", then the PVR will record it. So, do not blame Shaw -- blame their provider.

I have seen this with the Tonight Show -- the NBC listing shows "repeat", but the Canadian channel (showing at the same time) shows "new".

Recently, this is probably more common, given that "season finale" shows, and "series finale" shows (such as Hawaii 5-0), are now being broadcast, and "rerun season" is upon us.  Probably, many TV shows are in "hiatus", due to the COVID-19 pandemic -- not recording new episodes.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Bull is an example of old shows being recorded, some of t...

Habsfan1
Grasshopper

Bull is an example of old shows being recorded, some of the shows actually showing Repeat, others don’t have a New designation, also the description is just a general description of the series not actually what the episode is about. So yes I’m blaming Shaw as this is a software issue.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

If a program is missing the New/Repeat designation and/or...

shaw-valerie

If a program is missing the New/Repeat designation and/or missing a description entirely, use the form on this page to report the error in the guide information. 

If you are seeing instances where a series is set to record only new episodes, and is recording episodes that are marked as repeats, and not missing the flag, then I'd also advise deleting the recording for that series and setting it up again. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Sorry Valerie, your solution is ridiculous.  If you belie...

tuktuk
Grasshopper

Sorry Valerie, your solution is ridiculous.  If you believe that viewers are going to send in that long form for every program/series that is recording incorrectly, you are sadly mistaken.  All the NCIS versions periodically record with just a summary of what the show is about and random episodes behind that.  No new or Bull is another example. Also, when some channels pick up a series and start running old series  and identify as "new" (to them) on their entry, it records as a new episode on our boxes when it is actually one or more series old.  Your programmers need to be assigned time to solve the issues with this or many of your subscribers will not renew when their current contracts are up.

Jump to solution

The generic series descriptions on the guide, instead of...

jillek
Grasshopper

The generic series descriptions on the guide, instead of the description of each episode is really messing up recording.   For example, I have set my PVR to record only new episodes of Big Sky and it is set to record four times on April 27 (twice at 7:00 and twice at 10:00) and two more times on April 28.  The description in the guide is the generic series info.  Also I used to be able to select the channel and time of a recording and now Shaw often selects a different time and station which are not always good for me. This is an example of how things are getting worse with Shaw, rather than improving....and the price keeps going up. Please...please...please, fix this

Jump to solution

-- Shaw gets the programming information from a supplier....

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@jillek -- Shaw gets the programming information from a supplier. Shaw does not have the staff to designate each program as "new" or "repeat". So, complaining to Shaw is an indirect complaint to that supplier.

> the price keeps going up

For gasoline, lumber, Vancouver houses, webcams, and toilet-paper, too.  Your point?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Maybe, if Shaw gets enough complaints they may take up th...

jillek
Grasshopper

Maybe, if Shaw gets enough complaints they may take up the issue with their ‘supplier’

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Hey jillek,   From my understanding, it is as designed. B...

shaw-don

Hey jillek,

From my understanding, it is as designed. Basically with the generic description for an episode, the system is not able to tell if it is a new or repeat episode, so by default it records those just in case it is a new episode and people won't miss the recording. We have received feedback regarding this, as some shows do end up resulting in many many repeat recordings. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help