I checked with Shaw via CHAT why new equipment wasn't ava...

herbertlee
Grasshopper

I checked with Shaw via CHAT why new equipment wasn't available and was told I should "upgrade" my account. I was transferred to accounting and my account was upgraded. I was sent a new WiFi modem and PVR within 1 1/2 days. My monthly charge was reduced by $17 and the PVR rental was free. The PVR records 2 channels while you watch a third channel. My old modem was 100 Mb/sec and the new one is 1000 Mb/sec plus has WiFi. Both were supposed to be plug-and-play but I had to contact a Shaw agent to get them activated.

-- Shaw doesn't have any PVRs except for Blue Curve Is th...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@wynford -- Shaw doesn't have any PVRs except for Blue Curve

Is this your current PVR: https://support.shaw.ca/t5/tv-articles/equipment-info-shaw-motorola-tv-box-dcx3510-m/ta-p/5837

It has two tuners, which allow you to record two channels, while watching a previously-recorded program.

Recently, Shaw shipped (via Canada Post) a "refurbished" DCX3510 PVR to my friend. I helped her connect it. It works fine.

So, Shaw should be able to ship one to you.

>  I think I'm going to get a non recording cable box

Caution: Shaw may not allow any "foreign" cable-box to be connected to their network. There is a discussion thread on this forum where somebody moved from the Prairies, and then connected their cable-box to Shaw, and it interrupted the whole neighbourhood's service.  Ouch!

0 Kudos

--  I had to contact a Shaw agent to get them activated Y...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@herbertlee --  I had to contact a Shaw agent to get them activated

Your Shaw account needed to be "upgraded". The Arris Gateway PVR, and all older PVRs, communicate on one channel, while the BlueCurve communicates on a different channel. Somebody ("Accounting" ?) needed to reconfigure your account, to switch channels. If the did the reconfiguration while you were talking to them, your existing PVR would have stopped working, until Canada Post delivered the replacement hardware, and you connected the equipment. Ouch. 

If you had upgraded to the Arris Gateway PVR, I am guessing that it would have been a "plug-and-play" update. But, since you upgraded to the BlueCurve, those "technical" changes needed to be done, after the new equipment was connected.

0 Kudos

I did a small upgrade and renewed my contract a couple of...

wynford
Grasshopper

I did a small upgrade and renewed my contract a couple of months ago, new wifi router, but they never mentioned anything about updating my 7 year old pvr. They probably won’t let me change it for another 22 months

0 Kudos

-- [Shaw] probably won’t let me change it for another 22...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@wynford -- [Shaw] probably won’t let me change it for another 22 months

I think that they will cancel your current contract, without penalty, if you sign-up for another 24 months.

The only way to be sure is to contact Shaw, and ask them.

Just remember that any content that you have stored on your current PVR cannot be "transferred" to a new PVR.  So, watch everything, before contacting Shaw.

Shaw did contact me in February, although my Two-Year Value Plan did not expire until June 2, to encourage me to immediately start a new contract.  There was no penalty for cancelling the remaining 3 months (Mar/Apr/May), since they, not me, initiated the cancellation.

I find there is a lot of angst about cancelling tradition...

rickatk
Master

I find there is a lot of angst about cancelling traditional old accounts, sporting old hardware pvr’s etc. The new gear is so much better and capable.  I have been happy every time I have upgraded my account, plan and hardware. I am amazed some of these PVR’s are lasting 7 years. That is pretty good for modern tech. However, it is time to upgrade, enjoy everything IPTV protocols, cloud based PVR, BlueCurve on the go and on demand to name a few features.

I find that by staying current my TV viewing experience has always been very good with Shaw!

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help