Jump to solution

Were you able to try the above suggestion to replicate my...

LarryMo
Grasshopper

Were you able to try the above suggestion to replicate my issue?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

No, I am out of town.

rstra
Grand Master

No, I am out of town.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Sorry - my misunderstanding.   I hope you can try when yo...

LarryMo
Grasshopper

Sorry - my misunderstanding.   I hope you can try when you return.   I think it will help you relate to what I am saying well.   Again, thanks for your assistance.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I have the same basic problem. I have a Panasonic HD only...

Fernand2
Grasshopper

I have the same basic problem. I have a Panasonic HD onlyTV fed by a Sony AV receiver. ( The Sony switches over HDMI cables, a Blue ray player, Android box, or Shaw box to the Panasonic TV). When I go to pair it thinks the TV is a Sony so I force it to Panasonic. Select yes it works and go on to Audio receiver. I have to force it to Sony and after it tries 6 or 7 codes, I finally get one that controls the volume. If I hit the TV or Power button, both the TV and AV receiver shut off. Thats OK, but When I hit the power button again to turn everything on, the Sony AV receiver does not turn on but the TV does. It always worked OK before, except then the TV button only turned the TV off and on. The Sony /Panasonic set up is fed from an old XiD blue curve box. The new 4K box feeds a 4K Visio elsewhere.

So it seems the problem is with the new 4K Shaw player.

Talking to Shaw tech support was infuriating. The guy tried to gaslight me by saying that's the way its supposed to work, even though I repeatedly told him the power button always worked fine before.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Mostly  correct, IF you have ARC capable TV and sound sys...

Fernand2
Grasshopper

Mostly  correct, IF you have ARC capable TV and sound system. but I had to enable TV control only on the remote in my case.The TV directly controls sound bar  and associated rear speakers (all are Visio). If I tried to enable surround system as well I couldn't control the TV anymore

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I am currently using my old system which did work, eg. th...

LarryMo
Grasshopper

I am currently using my old system which did work, eg. the remote controlled tv channels, volume controlled my receiver, TV on/off did that, and master power turner everything on/off.   Now it doesn't work, as soon I pair the receiver, the power buttons fail.   The Shaw remote is intended to control a tv and SS......the biggest battle is getting them to recognize the issue, rather than say its your audio system.  

Was able to speak to a supervisor and asked him to follow my steps on his office tv,   When he did, he had the same problem as me, with remote power no longer working....hoping hes speaking to his remote techs to get it figured out.  Waiting for his call back.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Solution Found!!!! I needed to go through the regular rem...

LarryMo
Grasshopper

Solution Found!!!!

I needed to go through the regular remote set up functions but enter "skip" for the Receiver/sound bar.   Immediately after, I pressed the set up button again, waited to turn greet and then entered Receiver Code which I got from Shaw website.    Remote paired perfectly.

Jump to solution

I have the identical problem, but I am having difficulty...

itrigger
Grasshopper

I have the identical problem, but I am having difficulty reproducing your solution. If I "skip" for the receiver, the setup completes. If I then press setup again until the LED turns green, there is no prompt for the receiver code. If I try to enter a receiver code anyway at that point, the channel search interface pops up (until I enter enough digits that it is clearly not a channel, then it complains that the channel is not found).

So either I do not skip, set up the receiver, and can control channel and volume from the Shaw remote, but not TV on-off or HDMI input selection, or I skip, and then I cannot control the sound from the receiver, but everything on the TV works fine from the Shaw remote. Not so good... It was all working fine until I got the new 4k set-top box and set up the new (but seemingly identical) remote.

Did I misinterpret what you did? Can you please post the link to the list of Shaw receiver codes? Many thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- note that the Shaw remote-control does not need any "p...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@itrigger -- note that the Shaw remote-control does not need any "pairing" if you only want to use the channel-up/down buttons, because it is the Shaw TV box that responds to your button-pushes to change the channel. That Shaw box sends your selected channel (both audio & video), usually via HDMI, to your TV.  In that case, use the TV's remote-control to do volume-up/down/mute and to turn the TV on/off.  You can go one step further, and "pair" the Shaw remote-control with your TV, to allow you to use the volume-up/down/mute and power buttons on the Shaw remote-control to affect the TV. If you do this, you will have no need to use the TV's remote for normal "day-by-day" interactions.

If your TV has "optical-output" (to a 3-channel or 5-channel surround-sound receiver), I expect that you have to configure the TV to bypass the TV's internal speakers, and thus to route the incoming audio to the TV's optical-output port.  Similarly, if you use a sound-bar, and the sound-bar is connected to the TV, you need to configure the TV to send the audio-output to the sound-bar. It would be more complicated if the sound-bar was directly wired to the audio-output on the Shaw TV box -- you would have to configure the Shaw TV box to route the audio to the sound-bar, not to the TV's audio-input.

But, you need to pair the Shaw remote-control to your TV, to do "volume-up/down/mute" and "TV-on/off", and "input/source" functions on your TV.  But, if your TV is configured to route the audio-output to the optical-output port, then you have to pair those "volume" buttons on the Shaw remote-control with those functions on your "optical-input" device.

Yes, it can get complicated, when you have a sound-bar, or a surround-sound receiver, that you want as your audio-processing device, instead of using the TV's internal speakers.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Noted your reply and would like to offer my experience....

LarryMo
Grasshopper

Noted your reply and would like to offer my experience.  Clearly you have technical experience, I do not, but I have user experience, and know what worked / should have worked and what didn't.....and the solution.   The Shaw remote is set to pair the channel and volume with an outside receiver.  I make this comment based on the fact that the set up function first searches and sets up the tv box and then immediately asks if the user is using an external receiver, and assists with the audio pairing.  To note:  external audio is very commonly and the fact that it part of the standard setup up (via Setup/Shaw button), asking the user if they are using/wish to set up an external receiver made me  assume the remote should pair both TV and Audio easily.   For years the remote worked fine controlling my tv and external receiver, until I got a new update 4K box and it did not work...even more frustrating, once I re-installed my old box, it too would not pair correctly. 

What I experienced, as well as others I see from other posters, is that when the second step of the standard setup, the audio portion was used, the functionality of the remote stopped working properly.   If only the tv is paired, channel up/down and power buttons work fine, but once I paired the audio in the second step of the process, the power/channel functionality stopped working.  Eg.  The power button no longer turned off the tv, rather turned off the receiver.  The second part of the setup process was suppose to just pair the remote for  Vol  up./ down.- but in fact, caused other problems...eg. the power buttons stopped controlling the tv, the master power turned off the receiver. 

After working with Shaw Supervisors, I was able to learn the work around I earlier wrote about.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help