Jump to solution

Remote TV/Cable ON/OFF stops working, when pairing external audio

LarryMo
Grasshopper

My issue first became apparent after receiving a new 4K box, and trying to install/pair with tv/external audio, Tried multiple times (now hours of troubleshooting later, confident my issue has nothing to do with the new cable box):
My issue: On my remote, either sound/channel controls work, but the Power (TV&Cable) will not OR Power buttons/Channel controls work, but not the sound control. Called Shaw yesterday, two hours of resetting (reset cable box, tried and reset multiple remote controls (981/991), paired system more than 30 times), no luck, had to go out so ended the call unresolved. Called back today, another two-hour session, this time trying both the new box and re-settling up old box. Same issue, now my old box had the same problem. A few days ago, before trying to install new box, my remote worked fine, controlled tv, external receiver, and power buttons worked.
Was escalated to a supervisor who suggested it was my external audio that was the problem. Together we found if I disconnected the audio cables from my tv, and then paired the remote with sound from the tv and SKIP audio receiver option, the remote worked fine (eg. channels changed, volume control work with sound coming from the tv, on/off buttons functioned)so we ended the call.
However, not satisfied that my surround sound was not connected and the external receiver could not be controlled by the Shaw remote, I spent 2-3 more hours on my own trying different setups and pairing methods. From this I learned the issue per the Subject line:
When setting up the SHAW remote, after a couple "OK's, the system asks to pair the TV. After this step, it asks if you wish to pair an external receiver. If I answer YES (rather than SKIP), and select my external device, the remote volume control pairs with the receiver, but the power buttons stop working (so Volume/Channel controls work but not the Power buttons).
I tried on two different TVs in my house, they are Tv's (with no external receivers). When I pair the TV/SKIP external receiver option, the remote functions perfectly. However, when I choose to pair an external receiver (randomly chose one on the list since these two tvs did not have external audio), channels changed but the remote volume control stopped working (makes sense) but so did the Cable/TV On/OFF buttons, Why would the cable/TV power buttons stop functioning??? This I believe is the root cause of my troubles with my tv with the external receiver.
Getting back to the TV with external sound......I'd like to highlight three different pairing scenarios
1) Pair TV & External Receiver (with external optical audio cable connected to tv/receiver): Remote Channel/Volume controls work (controls volume on the external receiver) BUT remote Cable/TV On/Off stops functioning
2) Pair TV & SKIP external receiver setup (but have the optical cable connected from tv to receiver) Channels work, Volume controls don't function, On/Off works.
3) Pair TV & SKIP external receiver (BUT no audio cables connected from TV to receiver): Remote will fully work (eg. Channels change, sound control works but only for actual tv and ON/Off functional), but obviously no surround sound system.
Once again, prior to a few days ago, and for the past 5 years, the Shaw remote nicely controlled my TV, external receiver and on/off TV/Cable buttons worked fine) so I know it works. What has changed? Can't put my finger on it, waiting for Shaw to assist, but believe at least part to the problem is that there is a disconnect pairing the remote with an external receiver resulting in ON/OFF buttons not functioning. Clearly, the Shaw system supports external receivers, yet it will not pair appropriately.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Solution Found!!!! I needed to go through the regular rem...

LarryMo
Grasshopper

Solution Found!!!!

I needed to go through the regular remote set up functions but enter "skip" for the Receiver/sound bar.   Immediately after, I pressed the set up button again, waited to turn greet and then entered Receiver Code which I got from Shaw website.    Remote paired perfectly.

View solution in original post

33 Replies
Jump to solution

-- first, the "channel up/down" buttons on the remote-con...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@LarryMo -- first, the "channel up/down" buttons on the remote-control are paired with the Shaw PVR, not the TV.

The remote-control, when paired with the TV, sends the volume up/down/mute signals to the TV, and the on/off power to the TV, and to the TV's  "input" control (sources such as: HDMI #1, HDMI #2, CATV, S-Video, VGA, DVI, composite, component).

The PVR never turns off. It just "sleeps", waiting for updates to the Guide, and/or waiting for the next scheduled program to start to be recorded

So, are you connecting your surround-sounds inputs to the audio-outputs on your Shaw PVR, and configuring the PVR to send the "audio" output to the surround-sound box, rather than sending the audio-output through the HDMI cable to your TV?

After you "pair" the remote-control to your surround-sound box, do the volume up/down/mute buttons on the remote activate on the S.S. box?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Fully understand your reply......answering your questions...

LarryMo
Grasshopper

Fully understand your reply......answering your questions:

The connection to my receiver (SS) is via optical cable to my TV.

Yes - once I pair the SS, the remote controls the channels on my tv, and the sound on my receiver (SS), but the power buttons stop function properly.......the TV on/off turns my audio on/off and the master/ cable box power does not function at all.    However if I do not pair a SS system, rather SKIP the process, the remote works fine.

You can test yourself, try to pair a TV ONLY,.    However when you do that, fictiously pair an external receiver too.   You will see, once you try to pair the external receiver, the power buttons stop working.    BUT WHY, the pairing of an external receiver has nothing to do with the TV on/off which was properly paired.  Also, why is the Cable Box/Master power button not functioning?  It will help you understand my issue with the SS pairing issue.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

If your TV and sound bar support HDMI-ARC, you could try...

rstra
Grand Master

@LarryMo If your TV and sound bar support HDMI-ARC, you could try connecting the cable box HDMI cable to the port 3 on the TV and the the sound bar HDMI-ARC to the TVs HDMI-ARC. The TV will control the audio to the sound bar and might solver the power control issues.

Jump to solution

Thanks for your suggestion......regretfully it did not wo...

LarryMo
Grasshopper

Thanks for your suggestion......regretfully it did not work.....the cable box was previously connected to HDMI 2, tried HDMI 3.   My receiver does not have hdmi input, so I must keep the optical cable.  After changing to HDMI 3, I re-paired the remote, same issue. 

A few other points to note, 5 days ago, everything worked well, until a new cable box arrived, and I installed/re-paired.  Since then my problem has persisted.   I have gone back to my old cable box, same setup, and the problem is occurring with that too now.....very strange!

May I ask you to do the following.........I also made a previous suggestion, I do not know if you tried.   In fact, I spoke to a Shaw supervisor who tried my suggestion, and he too experienced the same problem.  Can you try?   Try to pair a remote to just a TV, but when it asks you if you wish to pair to an external receiver push "OK" and select any audio receiver.   Accept it.   Once you do that, logically the remote should work fine, except the volume which was paired with a receiver that doesn't exist (so your volume control should not work) but everything else should work.   Since you paired the TV, the channel should change (and it will), but you will see the TV power button no longer operates.  Then check master power, it will not function.  This will help you understand.........and happens when I tried on all my 3 other tv's which has no SS.  It also proves the problem is with the programming of the remote, since there is no actual receiver, then it can't be the external receiver causing the issue (which was suggested more than once to me)......PLEASE TRY my steps - I think it will shed light to help you better understand.

In the case of my tv with SS, after I pair the TV and SS, the tv channel changes, the sound changes on the receiver/broadcasted via speakers, but the TV on/off now turns the receiver on/off rather than the TV and the master control does not work.  

So my confusion is two-fold:

1)  Its has been working correctly for years....so it does work.  what has changed?

2)  Why does pairing external audio affect the TV on/off and master power controls.   The tv is correctly paired so why is tv on/off now paired with the receiver???   Why is master power not working at all.     Again as  a reminder, if I SKIP the external receiver option, the remote fully works as it should with the TV providing the sound (but I want to use my SS system and use one remote).

Appreciate your continued assistance.  I am happy to receive your call if you can do this.  Hope you will try my above suggestion and happy to further our conversation in the hope to find a solution.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

That really is strange, a new box should have just needed...

rstra
Grand Master

@LarryMo That really is strange, a new box should have just needed to be reprogrammed to the remote and away you go. I am away from home for a while, but will try and repeat the problem when I get back.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Yes - so strange that I have spent in excess of 10 hours...

LarryMo
Grasshopper

Yes - so strange that I have spent in excess of 10 hours trying to figure it out.   FIrst 8 hours learning exactly the issue and the next 2 hours trying to have someone help me once I isolated the problem.   Kind of you to try to assist.  CS tried to assist but kept saying sorry, it will not pair but could not explain why.   I don't work that way, if it won't pair, then explain why not....especially since it did work.   I am actually trying to help Shaw resolve an issue which they don't appear they know they have.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

The 981 reset usually fixes a lot of problems. Just to co...

rstra
Grand Master

@LarryMo The 981 reset usually fixes a lot of problems. Just to confirm, was your previous box also BlueCurve?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Yes.....done both 981 and 991 resets many times.....not t...

LarryMo
Grasshopper

Yes.....done both 981 and 991 resets many times.....not the issue or helping

Please try what I suggested.....I expect it will shed alot of information to you.....would be a surprise if the issue did not replicate for you, it did for the Shaw supervisor.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

yes....old box is bluecurve, must be the first generation...

LarryMo
Grasshopper

yes....old box is bluecurve, must be the first generation, I was one of the first customers to get it.....and new one is 4K......same issue, both boxes.   I am confident it's not the cable box, same issue with both boxes,  rather a glitch in the remote programming......but open to learning otherwise. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help