Jump to solution

Happy to assist you...yes exact same as me   .......I spe...

LarryMo
Grasshopper
Happy to assist you...yes exact same as me   .......I spent SOOOO many hours with Shaw to hear there is something wrong with YOUR system......anyway through perseverance, I got it resolved ....here is your fix.....
For the most part, it sounds like you followed my suggestion, I think you may be looking for additional prompt that does not exist.....

Set up your remote as you advised.....Press setup until green, the SHAW button.....put in 3 digit code and set up your tv.
***When program asks to program audio receiver choose  "NO".....set up function goes away****
HOWEVER THEN immediately press and hold SETUP to green again, there will be no prompt or question.......when green, Just enter your code for your audio.......thats its....check your audio, should work, as well as channel change. 

For your audio code, need Shaw remote set up page  hopefully this will get you there https://www.urcsupport.com/urc_product/shaw-bluecurve-tv-xr11-remote/?product-provider=76.    If not, you will have to find the Shaw remote webpage for your style of remote on your own.  Once there, On right side, click Set-up tab, from there click ADD NEW audio tab.....here is where you will find the audio code finder.  You will need to know the name/model of your receiver to get the right code.  Once you enter this code in the final step above, tv and receiver should pair with your remote.

Advise if it worked .....if not, advise each step so I can see what you may be doing differently.

Jump to solution

Hi  - right, I have no trouble pairing the remote to the...

itrigger
Grasshopper

Hi @mdk - right, I have no trouble pairing the remote to the Shaw box. I also have no trouble pairing it to the TV. But I don't want to use the TV's volume, because it has rather poor sound compared with the audio receiver. So I go on to the third step, and pair the audio receiver. At that point, volume control on the remote controls the audio receiver, channel is controlling the Shaw box, so that's all great, but unfortunately the "TV" button no longer turns the TV on and off (it now turns the audio receiver on and off and leaves the TV on, which is the opposite of what I want), and the source input button no longer works with the TV. This seemed to be the exact case described by @LarryMo , and he described a workaround. I can't get his workaround to work for me, because the audio pairing never asks me to enter a pairing code. So I wondered if there was an extra step in his workaround that I was missing.

I had a previous setup with an identical Shaw remote that worked fine with the same equipment (and the previous v3 generation set-top box). I suspect there are multiple pairing codes for my audio receiver, and the first one identified is not the best one. So in the absence of other suggestions, later today I will do some tests saying "no it doesn't work" to the first audio receiver pairing suggestion (even though volume control works fine with that) and see if I can get one of the later ones to work. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

@mdk.....if your Shaw set up works via SHAW BUTTON, where...

LarryMo
Grasshopper

@mdk.....if your Shaw set up works via SHAW BUTTON, where you get TV setup, then set up audio and remote controls channels, audio and power, then I can understand you not understanding my situation.  For me, my old system worked,  so I could not understand when I changed cable box, why it would not?  

Rather in my situation, as noted, when I set up the audio after setting up tv, then the remote no longer worked properly.  The power buttons went from turning box/tv off to turning off audio receiver so the only way to turn tv off was to use second remote.   I want my shaw remote to control channels, volume and turn off system (tv/audio) with power button.

The problem was not the REceiver Code, in the normal set up method, I tried several different codes for my receiver.  When I did my workaround (per prior emails) I used the suggested code from Shaw, on the first try it worked perfectly. 

For me the normal setup would not work, but the workaround did.  This workaround came from a Shaw Supervisor who I was able to recreate my situation on his tv, and eventually, it was he who advised what to do after consulting his team of programmers.....I just want the community to know what this workaround is, to avoid hours on the phone with SHaw agents who did not know what to do......but they may now know due to my experience as the supervisor was planning to send info to all CS agents.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Thanks  , understood. I'll play with this outside my work...

itrigger
Grasshopper

Thanks @LarryMo , understood. I'll play with this outside my working hours as I guess it is a question of finding the correct code for the (rather old) receiver. Will come back after testing. Many thanks for your speedy clarifications!

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

/  --  I want my Shaw remote to control channels, volume...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@itrigger / @LarryMo --  I want my Shaw remote to control channels, volume and turn off system (tv/audio) with power button.

> I have no trouble pairing the remote to the Shaw box. 

The Shaw remote-control never requires any "setup" to change channels on the Shaw PVR. It just works, fresh out of the box (with batteries installed, of course).

The Shaw remote-control is the only way to change channels -- other than pressing the buttons on the front of some older PVRs.

In normal configurations, the "power" button on the Shaw remote-control must be sending codes to both the Shaw PVR and, when paired to your TV, to your TV.  So, when paired, one button-press turns off the TV, and also puts the PVR to "sleep". (You have to disconnect AC power from the Shaw box to truly power it off.)

I don't know how to program the Shaw remote-control's "power" button to send signals to more than two devices (PVR, TV, and audio-box) with just one button-press.

Is there a "switched" AC socket on the back of the TV? If you connect the audio-box's power to that socket, will powering-off the TV also power-off the audio-box? In this configuration, you probably need the audio-box's remote-control to do volume-up/down/mute, in the rare occasions that you need to adjust the volume.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I have no issues with changing channels. Changing channel...

itrigger
Grasshopper

@mdk I have no issues with changing channels. Changing channels works fine.

In the setup I had until last week (same TV, same audio receiver, identical-looking remote, v3 Shaw box instead of v4) the Power button on the remote turned on/off both the TV and the receiver, while the TV button on the remote only turned off the TV. The volume button changed the audio receiver volume. The mute button muted the audio receiver. The Input button changed the HDMI input on the TV. It was very good that way.

Now, with the new remote and v4 box, there are two situations:

If I pair my TV but don't pair my audio receiver, everything "works", but I don't actually get any control over the volume or mute because the TV sound is turned off in the TV settings, because I want to use the receiver, which has much better sound. But I can see from the on-screen display that TV volume is going up and down and the TV sound is muted or unmuted (just can't hear it because no sound comes from the TV sound, which is expected). And the TV button turns the TV on and off, and the Input button switches between HDMI inputs on the TV. I could stop using the audio receiver and live with the TV's rather feeble sound, but I don't want to...

If I then also pair my audio receiver, channel-changing is still fine on the Shaw box, volume and muting are fine on the audio receiver so I have great sound, but I can no longer turn the TV on or off, and I can no longer change the HDMI input. The audio receiver has "taken over" those functions that should have remained with the TV. This was not the case with the old Shaw box and remote (the remote was identical, the X11 style). I probably need a different device code for the receiver, as I guess the first one the system guesses is not quite right, and assigns the wrong functionality to the receiver, overwriting some of the TV functionality (TV on/off, input switching). 

Hope that is clear now. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

It really is strange that it no longer works for the v4 w...

rstra
Grand Master

@itrigger It really is strange that it no longer works for the v4 when it worked with the v3. Just to be clear, did you complete the RF pairing on the new remote with the BlueCurve box?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

--  I don't actually get any control over the volume or m...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@itrigger --  I don't actually get any control over the volume or mute because the TV sound is turned off in the TV settings, because I want to use the receiver, which has much better sound. But I can see from the on-screen display that TV volume is going up and down and the TV sound is muted or unmuted (just can't hear it because no sound comes from the TV sound, which is expected). 

This seems incorrect. Especially when the TV's display is showing the on-screen "volume level" slider that you can move when using the "volume up/down/mute" buttons on the Shaw remote-control. 

If the TV is connected, via its optical-output, to the receiver, is the TV configured to send the audio-input it receives to audio-out via that optical socket to the receiver?   Or, is the receiver connected to the audio-output ports on the BlueCurve?

> If I then also pair my audio receiver, channel-changing is still fine on the Shaw box,

Correct. The Shaw remote-control always controls the channel-changing on the Shaw PVR.

volume and muting are fine on the audio receiver so I have great sound,

Good. Is the receiver connected to the PVR's audio-output ports, or to the audio-output ports on the TV?

> but I can no longer turn the TV on or off,

The Shaw remote-control is no longer "paired" to your TV. So, the on/off button(s) on the remote-control no longer send the correct "burst" to the TV.

> and I can no longer change the HDMI input. 

Ditto. The remote-control is not paired to the TV, and so the "source" (or "input") button(s) on the remote-control no longer is sending the correct "burst" to the TV. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Yes, new remote paired to new BlueCurve box and all pairi...

itrigger
Grasshopper

@rstra Yes, new remote paired to new BlueCurve box and all pairing done with the new remote. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- Interesting: A: the Power button on the remote turned...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@itrigger -- Interesting:

A: the Power button on the remote turned on/off both the TV and the receiver, while

B:       the TV button on the remote only turned off the TV. 

to see such a slight difference.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help