Jump to solution

Total TV vs Basic TV, and downgrading to internet only

ChipmunkChill
Grasshopper

I was wondering does Basic ever get CW or CW11?  It's the one I use the most of next to global.  In the Total Package I rarely watch any of the stations so it is a bit big for my usage history.  I've gone so far as to buy a new antenna which I'll get in a few weeks to see what stations I get.  It can pick up as far as 200miles and only cost $5 including shipping so quite a deal.  I only watch Global11, CW11, and occasionally MeTV or CTV.  My TV doesn't have wifi to stream, and to record later I'd need to get a atc box and buy a external usb drive.  So cranking my internet up to unlimited might also be pointless.  Because in doing that and buying streaming it would equal to the bill I currently have.  What happened to the days where we got basic and it was more than just stations we could get with a antenna?  These basic channels seem to be what is listed available in the Burnaby Area by antenna though CW is hard to reach or unreachable as it is 120mi away.  I guess I'll find out when my antenna comes as to what it fully gets.  What happens if I go from internet 5 with total TV to just internet 50 or internet 300?  What is the cost including tax for that?  I've been a user or shaw services for around 30 years.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

The CW from KTLA, and WPIX is available on the $25/m "Lim...

michaelstein
Grasshopper

The CW from KTLA, and WPIX is available on the $25/m "Limited TV" option, but it's only the standard definition versions.

Note: In the Vancouver Area - CW Seattle (KSTW) is not available on Limited TV

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Jump to solution

The CW from KTLA, and WPIX is available on the $25/m "Lim...

michaelstein
Grasshopper

The CW from KTLA, and WPIX is available on the $25/m "Limited TV" option, but it's only the standard definition versions.

Note: In the Vancouver Area - CW Seattle (KSTW) is not available on Limited TV

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Online the tv listings thing you can download with Total...

ChipmunkChill
Grasshopper

Online the tv listings thing you can download with Total TV and basic doesn't list CW at all.  Which is part of the reason I though I might have nothing to loose by using an antenna.  Though I looked up smarttv's usage and they use about 1G per hour show on HD or 4K when streaming from the internet via ethernet.  So watching tv without it included is either using an antenna or unlimited internet.  Doing it on limited internet will cause problems and using an antenna only that isn't exterior and raised will also limit options.  But it does look like you can get between 6 to 18 stations on antenna in Vancouver area.  But while some have new shows others repeat a lot of old shows or are heavily paid programs or religious.  Which is understandable in a way as it can be expensive to run a dedicated station with paid news staff, etc and still afford to get the shows in.  Netflix, Prime and YouTube look good but only if you have unlimited data and over 100Mps bandwidth(1-3 people) and a 4K/HDMI smart tv or a tv box.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

> I was wondering does Basic ever get CW or CW11?  Can yo...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I was wondering does Basic ever get CW or CW11? 

Can you use Shaw's "Pick And Pay" to add that channel, for a few $ per month?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

They only show a static image of Total TV and Basic.  It...

ChipmunkChill
Grasshopper

They only show a static image of Total TV and Basic.  It isn't scalable for people with vision issues.  Making it hard to read.  It doesn't show any estimate or option to pick and choose from a list. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I was just chatting with an agent online and they said KT...

CoffeeLover
Grasshopper

I was just chatting with an agent online and they said KTLA (& WPIX) are not included in Limited tv only in the Classic TV theme pack or as pick & pay options 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I have Limited TV and I get both KTLA and WPIX. Both stat...

ROYD785
Grasshopper

I have Limited TV and I get both KTLA and WPIX. Both stations are very poor quality.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Do you have Bluecurve tv or the regular cable ?

CoffeeLover
Grasshopper

Do you have Bluecurve tv or the regular cable ?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I just have regular.  I'm not a heavy user of it.  I simp...

ChipmunkChill
Grasshopper

I just have regular.  I'm not a heavy user of it.  I simply get videos from the library most times.  Otherwise I watch globalbc or ctv news.  Then record a few scifi (superhero things).  I also watch God Friended Me because it's cute and that is on CTV, Abishola for the same reason on CBS.   Some it looks like I could stream or Netflix later.  Streaming can take a lot of data something like 1G/h or as little as 300M per half hour.

In 1-2 weeks I'll get an antenna and figure out what is the most useful thing to do.  I would miss the shaw pvr.  But if you get an ATC tv box you can hook a USB hard drive to it to turn it into a pvr.  Also smart TV's have some built in features like the ATC box.  My current tv isn't a smart one.  Given the data usage I might not upgrade tv's for a few months given their cost and trying to find one that is 22" to 24" as I find the 26 in one I have a bit big.  It barely fits in my tv cabinet.  Smart TV's can still have an antenna.  So it's a matter of waiting to find the right TV and seeing what an antenna might do.  Because I may well switch to internet 50 or 300.  I certainly don't need internet 600.

Anyone living alone stream tv here?  That has a similar watching habit?  I'm wondering if you have any data meter to see how much that would use up?  I'm unlikely to get Blue Curve as I live in a bachelor apartment and it wouldn't be suitable.  As it is the WiFi type modem I have I shut off when not in use due to EMF.(I can't remember CISCO's rating vs BlueCurve but I think blue was safer)

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I have regular cable with both channels included with Lim...

ROYD785
Grasshopper

I have regular cable with both channels included with Limited TV.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help