TV blacks out

Dave54
Grasshopper

My TV blacks out every so often when I am watching a cable channel. It doesn't do it when I am watching Netflix or other internet applications. I replaced the HDMI cable between my Shaw cable box and the TV but it is still happening. When it happens I change the channel and then returned to the blacked out channel. That seems to correct it. How do I stop this from happening?

Labels (1)
22 Replies

Do you receive any error messages when this happens? Does...

shaw-valerie

@Dave54 Do you receive any error messages when this happens? Does audio continue to play with just no picture? 

0 Kudos

No, I don't get any error messages and the audio does not...

Dave54
Grasshopper

No, I don't get any error messages and the audio does not continue to play. The screen just goes black and it stays black. 

sorry for the delay in response. What troubleshooting ste...

shaw-tony

@Dave54 sorry for the delay in response. What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far? It may be a signal related issue.

0 Kudos

Which Shaw cable box do you have? How old is it? Does tha...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Which Shaw cable box do you have? How old is it?

Does that box have the capability to pause/rewind/scroll-backwards? (If it does, it has an internal disk-drive, which might be having problems that trigger the black-outs.)

Do you have an external "Shaw Expander" (external disk-drive to add capacity to store more programs)? Again, any problems with that disk-drive can cause your symptoms.

0 Kudos

Happens to me all the time. I have only ever been able to...

Alwm
Grasshopper

Happens to me all the time. I have only ever been able to fix it doing exactly what you describe. 

0 Kudos

I have this problem too. New blue curve system. Everythin...

debbiewalline
Grasshopper

I have this problem too. New blue curve system. Everything is hooked up correctly. Recently had a Shaw tech out to the house. Would appreciate a reply on why the tv goes black periodically and then comes back on. Same problem exactly as described. 

-- Would appreciate a reply on why the tv goes black peri...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@debbiewalline -- Would appreciate a reply on why the tv goes black periodically and then comes back on

When the "feed" to your TV temporarily stops, your TV goes "dark".

This probably is a "signal strength" issue. Contact Shaw (www.shaw.ca/chat) or 1-888-472-2222 and ask them to remotely logon to the Shaw TV box, and to view the "signal strength" reaching the box.

0 Kudos

no error message. audio contnues

dj16
Grasshopper

no error message. audio contnues

0 Kudos

-- no error message. audio continues What manufacturer an...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@dj16 -- no error message. audio continues

What manufacturer and model-number is your TV?

Does it have an OSD (On Screen Display) where you can set the time before it goes "dark" ("power-saving mode") ?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help