Video freezes, sounds stays on for a moment then HD PVR box reboots on its own

automan
Grasshopper

Every once in a while when I am watching live TV or a recording on my PVR and I access the TV guide or access the information on the show I am watching, the picture freezes but the sound is okay for about 30 seconds, then the HD PVR box reboots by itself. During the time that the box freezes, it will not respond to any input from my remote as well as the on off button on the HD PVR also will not respond. Once the unit has completed its reboot sequence. Everything seems to be working fine until the next occurrence. The frequency is at least once a day that it happens. I have tried unplugging the box for various amounts of time (30 seconds, 1 minute, 1 hour) and this has not resolved the problem. I had Shaw come to my house and they replaced the HD PVR, checked all connections and even checked the source from the box down the street. All seems well to the service tech.

We have 2 HD PVR boxes in our house. Both units will do this at times. I am assuming that since my 2 HD PVR boxes as well as the one that was just replaced all do this glitch that it probably is not a fault of the HD PVR's.

To the best of my recollection, this started about a month ago.

Does anyone have this same or similar problem? Has anyone fixed this problem?

Labels (1)
4 Replies

Yes, my 3510 reboots 2 or 3 times a day now and started a...

Jay22
Grasshopper

Yes, my 3510 reboots 2 or 3 times a day now and started about 1 month ago. No, have not found a fix

0 Kudos

-- is your device connected to a power-bar that has "surg...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Jay22 -- is your device connected to a power-bar that has "surge-protection", or to a UPS ("uninterruptible power suppply") to block any electrical surges that may be affecting the device?

0 Kudos

Hi Grasshopper, I had same problem on my HD PVR. It would...

automan
Grasshopper

Hi Grasshopper,

I had same problem on my HD PVR. It would lock up or freeze video but still hear sound for about a minute then PVR box would reboot.I had Shaw do a service call and the tech could not find a problem. He replaced the box and said to call if it happens again. It happened again a few hours after he left. I decided to do some research and discovered that a poor signal could be the fault. I called shaw back and explained. They sent out a tech who tested our signal and said it was very weak. He installed a signal booster and have not had the problem for over a weak now. I have noticed that since the signal booster has been installed, the remote control for the PVR box is much smoother, the picture seems sharper and my internet is much better now. Perhaps you should inquire about a signal booster.

0 Kudos

My 3510 PVR stoped rebooting about a week ago, I think Sh...

Jay22
Grasshopper

My 3510 PVR stoped rebooting about a week ago, I think Shaw did a firmware update that fixed the problem

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help