What is the Wireless 4K TV Player

dc2006ster
Grasshopper

Telus is installing its fibre network in my neighbourhood and perhaps that is why I keep getting emails from Shaw offering "exclusive" deals. One of these deals, the Fibre +GIG + Total TV includes 2 wireless 4K TV players. What are these? Is this plan compatible with my current Gateway system? IS Crave/HBO included?

Thanks

Labels (1)
6 Replies

The Shaw 4K Wireless TV Player are just like the wired ve...

rickatk
Master

The Shaw 4K Wireless TV Player are just like the wired versions but they are well wireless. The boxes communicate with the XB6 or XB7 Gateways rather than a cable headset or tuner.

They are very convenient and easy to hook up. You get full functionality with these boxes. 
Be aware you will need a robust network and good reception around the house. I have an XB7 Fibre Gig setup with four players. I wanted wireless as I didn’t want to drill holes in the kitchen backsplash to get Shaw programming to the kitchen.

The 4K is limited but the 1080p picture is excellent.

I really like the idea of running an IPTV system in my house. Even my land line phone runs off the XB modems.

Thanks. Presently I have a 500 GB Arris Gateway which I t...

dc2006ster
Grasshopper

Thanks. Presently I have a 500 GB Arris Gateway which I think acts as a PVR for our 2 Arris portals which are the tuners. At least, that is my understanding. Would the XB6 or XB7 replace the Arris Gateway and the Wireless TV players replace the portals? Would we still have PVR capabilities? 

0 Kudos

You still have pvr and it only 1 gigabytes of cloud stora...

cpmrich36
Grasshopper

You still have pvr and it only 1 gigabytes of cloud storage and yes it will replace all of your gateway equipment.  so you will get brand new equipment and return your old equipment.  only thing is you need to sign a new two year contract and the blue wireless boxes will be free during your two year value plan deal.  

-- Presently I have a 500 GB Arris Gateway which I think...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@dc2006ster -- Presently I have a 500 GB Arris Gateway which I think acts as a PVR for our 2 Arris Portals which are the tuners.

Correct.

If you press "record" on one of the Portals, your Gateway does the recording. Any content stored on the PVR can be viewed via the Gateway and via TVs connected to the Portals. If you switch to the BlueCurve PVR, all the stored programs on the Arris cannot be transferred -- watch them & delete them, before you switch.

> Would the XB6 or XB7 replace the Arris Gateway and the Wireless TV players replace the portals?

See: Fibre+ Gateway - Guide (shaw.ca) 

Both the XB6 and XB7 devices are combination cable-modems and WiFi routers with Ethernet ports and 2 telephone ports.

You will need: Hardware Information: BlueCurve TV 4K Wireless box (shaw.ca) for Shaw TV features.

> Would we still have PVR capabilities? 

Yes, the above BlueCurve records to the Shaw "cloud". That's nice, should your BlueCurve fail, and need to be replaced.

I never had much luck with the local PVR storage. On a fe...

rickatk
Master

I never had much luck with the local PVR storage. On a few occasions I lost the whole library of recorded shows. Usually after long weekends. Once after I added Crave, oddly enough.My wife was not happy. The Cloud PVR has worked very well and integrates with the Shaw guide. We can even access the content at our vacation spots. Shaw has done a great job including all their services under one package. Now with Chromecast we can view our bundle including cloud PVR most anywhere. 

0 Kudos

Indeed you can even hook up your landline to the modem. T...

rickatk
Master

@dc2006ster wrote:

Thanks. Presently I have a 500 GB Arris Gateway which I think acts as a PVR for our 2 Arris portals which are the tuners. At least, that is my understanding. Would the XB6 or XB7 replace the Arris Gateway and the Wireless TV players replace the portals? Would we still have PVR capabilities? 

Indeed you can even hook up your landline to the modem. The XB7 provides WiFi 6 if you have the gear. The cloud PVR in my experience has been more stable than the local hard drive based Gateway. There is something cool about having your TV boxes all wireless, cloud PVR and no head unit.

TALK TO US
We're here to help