Jump to solution

Access to where cable enters condo

taylor192
Grasshopper

Anyone know how to access this panel in a condo? The Shaw cable enters and splits behind it. 

Does Shaw have a key? Or my building has the key? I do not

Need to install a MoCA filter. 

PXL_20221201_162128131.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Shaw has the key. You could see if Shaw will send out a t...

rstra
Grand Master

Shaw has the key. You could see if Shaw will send out a technician to open the box for you. 

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Jump to solution

Shaw has the key. You could see if Shaw will send out a t...

rstra
Grand Master

Shaw has the key. You could see if Shaw will send out a technician to open the box for you. 

Jump to solution

-- Need to install a MoCA filter.  Why? What issue are yo...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@taylor192 -- Need to install a MoCA filter. 

Why? What issue are you trying to resolve?

Installing that filter will prevent MoCA traffic from leaving your MURB (Multiple Unit Residential Building), but it will not prevent MoCA traffic from one unit in your MURB from reaching other units inside your MURB.   Instead, add the filter where the Shaw cable enters your unit, and splits to multiple outlets in your unit.

Is there a "wiring closet" somewhere on your floor of the MURB?  If so, then there probably is one coaxial-cable "rising" from behind that locked box up to your floor. Shaw could put a filter where that cable, in the wiring closet, splits to reach all the units on your floor.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

“add the filter where the Shaw cable enters your unit” Th...

rstra
Grand Master

@mdk  “add the filter where the Shaw cable enters your unit” That is what they are trying to do, the vault pictured is the entry point to the unit. Moca filters are bi-directional, as moca becomes more widely used, all Shaw customers should have filters at points of entry.

Jump to solution

-- the author seems to be asking about how to access wher...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rstra -- the author seems to be asking about how to access where the Shaw infrastructure enters the condominium building, which is not the same as where the Shaw cable enters their personal unit. 

To repeat, adding one filter behind that panel will block MoCA from other residences/MURBs from entering the building, but it will not block unwanted MoCA traffic between units within the condominium.

As I suggested, all Shaw customers should have a filter at their personal point of entry.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

No, they are just wanting to know how to open that box in...

rstra
Grand Master

@mdk  No, they are just wanting to know how to open that box in their unit. 

@taylor192  Forgot to mention that the key code is on the lock, you might be able to find a replacement online. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

/   -- Need to install a MoCA filter.  The only issues ar...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rstra / @taylor192  -- Need to install a MoCA filter. 

The only issues are where to install the filter(s),  and how many are needed.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Not sure what Shaw’s policy is now, but I think that they...

rstra
Grand Master

@mdk  Not sure what Shaw’s policy is now, but I think that they would require every home to have a filter on new installs. They don’t want noise out in the plant. As far as how many, just one per household, unless some needs to further isolate their network. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- Not sure what Shaw’s policy is now That's too bad.  Do...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rstra -- Not sure what Shaw’s policy is now

That's too bad.  Do you know any Shaw employee who can give a definitive answer?

Yes, one per household, even when the household is one unit inside a MURB, not just one per building.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Looks like they are only installed when there is a Gatewa...

rstra
Grand Master

@mdk   Looks like they are only installed when there is a Gateway or wired BlueCurve present. I guess with most new installs being wireless BlueCurve TV, Shaw is not really using moca much anymore. 

TALK TO US
We're here to help