-- We pay for the 300 plan, and barley get 100 mbps on ou...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Hjaniten -- We pay for the 300 plan, and barley get 100 mbps on our devices.

Take a close look at the labelling on your Ethernet cables. The ones labelled "CAT-5" are certified to 100 Mbits/second, while the ones labelled "CAT-5e" are certified to 1000 Mbits/second, and the ones labelled "CAT-6" are even faster.

What numbers do you get when running the Shaw Speed Test on a "wired" computer? On a "wireless" computer?

0 Kudos

--  an exorbitant amount of money Shaw is not a "monopol...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Hjaniten --  an exorbitant amount of money

Shaw is not a "monopoly" -- you can switch to TELUS or third-party companies that buy "bulk" Internet from TELUS or SHAW.

> it offers faster speeds/downloads

It does. The HITRON modem maxes-out at 300 Mbits/second. If you want 500 or 600 or 750 or 1000 or 1500 Mbps, a BlueCurve cable-modem is required.

> the truth is *every* Customer is experiencing the same problems. 

Fake news.

I recommend that you contact Shaw Support, and get them to trouble-shoot. A Shaw Agent can remotely logon to your BlueCurve, to check its internal status, e.g., proper "signal-strength" and/or "unrecoverable errors" for an "out-of-spec" condition.

0 Kudos

Clearly, you work for Shaw.... I am not even going to jus...

Hjaniten
Grasshopper

Clearly, you work for Shaw.... I am not even going to justify your questions with any response. 

0 Kudos

I have had this problem since I changed to blue curve cel...

Larns08
Grasshopper

I have had this problem since I changed to blue curve cellphone connection drops so often, PS4 never connected through wifi , printer and alarm system are all screwed and doesn’t connect. I literally have tge printer and PS4 beside the blucurve gateway modem and its not connecting. 

that is certainly odd. It sounds like WiFi Interference,...

shaw-tony

@Larns08 that is certainly odd. It sounds like WiFi Interference, do you notice the same drop with connections via direct ethernet?

0 Kudos

Shaw needs to return back to a two equipment system and s...

Pullen
Grasshopper

Shaw needs to return back to a two equipment system and stop buying crap from China. When Telus has equipment made in Japan and has fewer issues we all know why Shaw has gone the direction they did....PROFIT!!! Telus service for top tier is $169 which includes equipment and gig speed but Shaw their top tier without gig speed is $200 plus equipment rental. 

All the BlueCurve gear is from Comcast in the US. The old...

rickatk
Master

@Pullen 

All the BlueCurve gear is from Comcast in the US. The older terminals are either Arris or Motorola(Arris). Comcast determines where they buy their hardware. Most everything is designed in the US but the hardware is made off shore. That is true for most tech companies.

My experience has been very good with Shaw’s hardware and software. Save some problems quite a few years ago with the big old gateway unit that the Shaw techs hung in my garage. I believe that was made by Arris.

Shaw’s latest iteration of IPTV using XB6 modems and wireless tv players works very well. 

I left Telus back in 1999. Their ADSL platform was slow and unreliable. I have never looked back.

I presently have a Blue Curve Gateway, three pods and four Wireless TV players. All on the new Fibre + Gig service. The setup is stable and fast. 

I am looking forward to the rollout of the next XB7 generation of gear featuring WiFi 6. 

The reason I post my positive experiences is to put some balance to all the negative posts. I understand sometimes there can be problems but it’s not all bad and there are many people who are just enjoying their service.

Indeed this stuff is expensive, but in time the prices do go down. I look forward to that too.

0 Kudos

Simple fix: GET RID OF SHAW NOW.  I used Telus for a deca...

Woody2017
Grasshopper

Simple fix: GET RID OF SHAW NOW. 

I used Telus for a decade without problems, switched to Shaw blue curve for promotional pricing and I’ve had nothing but problems since. Promised speed is not even close. Best speed test I’ve had is 1/3 of what I’m paying for. Worst decision I made regarding internet. Will be switching to anyone but Shaw once my promotion is over. I’d suggest anyone reading this to do the same. 

0 Kudos

are you on their 24 month promotional pricing? how much you...

cpmrich36
Grasshopper

are on their 24 month promotional pricing?  how much you paying?  did you hardwired to the modem and see if you get faster speed.  how many months left?  

0 Kudos

-- Best speed test I’ve had is 1/3 of what I’m paying for...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Woody2017 -- Best speed test I’ve had is 1/3 of what I’m paying for

If you signed-up for "Fibre+ 300" and you are getting 100 Mbits/second, check the labelling on your Ethernet cable. If you see "CAT 5", replace that cable with a "CAT 5e" cable (certified up to 1000 Mbits/second) or to a "CAT-6" cable (even faster than "5E").

Also, on your computer, check that your network adapter is capable of "10/100/1000", not just "10/100".

TALK TO US
We're here to help