Blue Curve - Cannot add network switch

rcoplick
Grasshopper

I've just upgraded to the new plan and modem, but I'm having a lot of issues getting my wired network running.

There are only two ethernet ports on the modem, and I need more than that. If I attach one of my network switches to the modem, the flashing status light on the cable output changes from green to amber.

I've even tried plugging individual devices into the modem, and get the same error. My Philips Hue Hub doesn't work connected to the modem, and it needs a hard line.

I'm fine using my own switch if I can get it to work. I've searched for "switch" here, but all the answers were regarding the Hitron modem, and using passthrough or bridge mode to fix it.

Thanks.

95 Replies

Re: Blue Curve - Cannot add network switch

shaw-tony

Hey rcoplick,

It is certainly odd for the modem to go from green -> amber status when you try to plug the switch or device in. The normal functioning modem light should be solid white. Do you have any special settings configured on the BlueCurve modem? 

To ensure the switch works properly, you will need to bridge the modem. Then you will need a secondary IP to plug a router in for the maximum number of ports. IP passthrough is not available on the BlueCurve modem.

Hope that helps,

Tony | Community Mod.

rcoplick
Grasshopper

Sorry Tony,

I meant the "activity" light at the ethernet port changes colour, not the status light on the modem itself.

If I bridge the modem do I lose the wifi functionality of the Bluecurve?

Thanks for your response.

shaw-tony

ah, the ethernet port changing colours is normal. It should work when the light is active.

If you bridge the modem, you will lose WiFi functionality. 

If you have WiFi Pods, they do provide one extra ethernet port behind them that works.

0 Kudos

I am looking at getting BlueCurve also and I am not sure...

Ish77
Grasshopper

I am looking at getting BlueCurve also and I am not sure where this thread ended up.  Did the network switch work?  I need more than 2 ports also and I just want to know if a network switch will work before I make the move.

if you bridge the modem with 2 IPs enabled. You can plug...

shaw-tony

@Ish77 if you bridge the modem with 2 IPs enabled. You can plug one of them to a network switch and the other one into a 3rd party router (for WiFi and extra ports).

0 Kudos

That is just such a load of crap. Why on earth would you...

robi
Grasshopper

That is just such a load of crap. Why on earth would you use a modem that won't accept a switch. 

So, you have a family of four and two printers. All are using Ethernet

So, what you are saying is I have to jury rig it to make it work.

I'll have to discuss this with my wife, but I'm thinking of just going back to the Internet 300 and returning the new Gateway,

or you could find a 600 the works like it should. I'll remind you that the previous gateway works fine with a switch.

Please pass this on the the decision makers.

I have the Arris BlueCurve modem and have a switch connec...

rstra
Grand Master

I have the Arris BlueCurve modem and have a switch connected and working fine. There is no need to bridge the modem or use pass through. The lights on the modem go amber when they are connected to a device that isn’t gigabit Ethernet. My Arlo and Hue hubs both go amber when directly connected to the modem, and they go amber when connected to my gigabit switch. I tried to look up the specs for both Arlo and Hue, but couldn’t find any Ethernet specifications.

Not sure why it isn’t working for you.

a switch will work with the modem unbridged. It is not re...

shaw-tony

@robi a switch will work with the modem unbridged. It is not recommended nor supported just in case there are any IP related issues. 

Do you have any thoughts on why my switch doesn't work wi...

robi
Grasshopper

Do you have any thoughts on why my switch doesn't work with the modem? It did work with the old modem.

It's a 16 port switch I got a really good deal on.

Oh, and my bluecurve modem apparently is an Xfinity XFi.

On the good side, I'm quite happy with the speed.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help