are any other modems available from Shaw for users who ar...

-__-
Grasshopper

@shaw-tony are any other modems available from Shaw for users who are more tech savvy and would like proper control over their home network? For myself, with two roommates (not a family of 4-6 people) who all need individual access to the router, this system simply does not work. I'm not the only one in this situation; just check the forums here.

Alex Penner

I am able to forward ports just fine using internet.shaw....

-__-
Grasshopper

@shaw-tony I am able to forward ports just fine using internet.shaw.ca. The problem is that that is not where the settings should be located. Those should be set locally via our Gateway, whether that be 10.0.0.1 or 192.0.0.1 or whatever we set it to. It is utter insanity to have "advanced" settings located only via an online portal. Myself and my roommates all require the ability to forward ports for our web servers, SSH servers, game servers, etc.

Why should I be required to give my roommates my Shaw account and login info just so they can forward ports themselves?

Alex Penner

the Cisco DPC3848V, Hitron, and Arris modems still have a...

shaw-tony

@-__- the Cisco DPC3848V, Hitron, and Arris modems still have an active GUI for advanced settings. However, if you have wireless BlueCurve TV units in your home, you will need to change those out as the BlueCurve modem works with the BlueCurve TV system.

0 Kudos

I am having issues forwarding ports, too.  The issue that...

maximusppp
Grasshopper

I am having issues forwarding ports, too.  The issue that I have is that if I want to say forward port 80 to port 81 of one of my devices, I can't.  I can only port 80 to 80, or 81 to 81.  This is extremely frustrating, to the point that I am going to have to purchase a new router, despite having to pay to rent the current modem.

-- despite having to pay to rent the current modem Check...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@maximusppp -- despite having to pay to rent the current modem

Check your monthly invoice. Do you see both a rental fee and a "promotional credit" that completely offsets the rental fee?

And the port forwarding webapp is TRASH. I don't want to...

Bo7a
Grasshopper

And the port forwarding webapp is TRASH. I don't want to open port 22 to the world. I want to create a port forward with specific external and internal ports.

This is horrible.

I had 2 minutes to prep for a support call and needed someone to ssh into my server and for them to do so I had to open port 22. Within SECONDS my journal was flooded with attempted ssh connections from VMs in china and russia.

This is bloody ridiculous.

Blyzz
Grasshopper

0 Kudos