Jump to solution

I had the same issue, I tried different ways to configure...

William29
Grasshopper

I had the same issue, I tried different ways to configure the port forwarding with Shaw technician together on the phone, could not make it working. I had to send the new BlueCurve router back to Shaw and keep using the old Shaw Cable modem router to accommodate the port forwarding functions I need. I hope Shaw engineer will listen to customer's feedback regarding this issue, and solve it as soon as possible.

Jump to solution

I just got the blue curve modem. Mistake? I can't seem to...

joebagofdonuts
Grasshopper

I just got the blue curve modem. Mistake? I can't seem to get my AXIS cameras to port forward. I had no problem before on my linksys router, allowing me to view my cameras from anywhere. Will they work on this modem? Guess I will spend my weekend farting around with this....      😞 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- "port forwarding" is done so that you, anywhere on the...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@joebagofdonuts -- "port forwarding" is done so that you, anywhere on the Internet, can connect to your BlueCurve, and have the BlueCurve "forward" all traffic for a specific port-number to the same port-number on a specific "private" IP-address on your local network.

Without "port-forwarding", it is only devices on your local network that can connect to that port-number of that specific "private" IP-address within your local network.

So, what port-forwarding "rules" have you established, inside the BlueCurve?

What private IP-address is being used by your AXIS camera(s) ?  What port-number?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Abandoned the lack lustre feature of the blue curve modem...

joebagofdonuts
Grasshopper

Abandoned the lack lustre feature of the blue curve modem and went back to my Linley’s router (after bridging the modem) and voila! Cams working again. And the Shaw tv wifi boxes work fine on the linksys router. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Thanks . I know my ways around port forwarding and have...

Darkesha
Grasshopper

Thanks @mdk .
I know my ways around port forwarding and have a bit of Cisco CCNA layer 2/3 routing and switching knowledge.

With that in mind I can not port forward anything that is not part of the DHCP pool. My DHCP pool is in the x.x.x.100 and onwards. Lower IPs are critical and stationary addresses (servers, printers, etc).
Since my Plex server is a lower IP port forwarding doesn't work unless I expand my DHCP to the whole subnet.

And now with inability to even login to https://internet.shaw.ca/ (requiring me to download app I can't access to) I think my patience is getting thin.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I think rest of people complaining might have the same pr...

Darkesha
Grasshopper

I think rest of people complaining might have the same problems where port forwarding doesn't work when fwded to address outside of DHCP pool.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- if your printers/servers are within your DHCP-pool, an...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Darkesha -- if your printers/servers are within your DHCP-pool, and they are powered-up 24/7, and they issue DHCP-renew requests at the appropriate times, will their IP-addresses ever change?  I don't think so.

If they retain their IP-address, ad infinitum, then port-forwarding to them should be possible.  Do you agree?

What TTL values does your DHCP-server use? A week? A month? Do you have many "transient" devices connecting, maybe once, to your LAN, and getting an IP-address from your DHCP-server?  If not, then your DHCP pool should never be fully committed. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I don't think that's the way it works. If your vehicle n...

Darkesha
Grasshopper

I don't think that's the way it works.

If your vehicle never needs to go in reverse (city bus for example), than your transmission should never have a R gear.
Or - if you never need to go faster than 2km/hr than you don't need braking system that can handle faster speeds.

I admin my network how I feel comfortable with and I have NEVER EVER had this issues with any other firewall.

With that said, I do appreciate your response and will to help.
Once I found out about DHCP/port forwarding I got Plex to work. However my printer would randomly stop working until I found out it's not connected anymore to where it was supposed to be. This is when I shrank the pool again and set it up causing Plex to not work at my mom's place.

Now I can't even login anymore to the external site I used to manage since I don't have a MyRogers account and I don't think its necessary to insist on having a smartphone app as an only conduit to the network management console.

If you have advice on how to login to the account (the old shaw login doesn't work) please advise !

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I had the same issue when I first upgraded to the 1.5Gbps...

Rzee
Grasshopper

I had the same issue when I first upgraded to the 1.5Gbps plan and had to get a BlueCurve modem/router. I am a network engineer and am used to doing things by the book, like setting static ip's for devices and port forwading for remote access. I soon found out that this is a purposely crippled router that is not worth spending time on. The only solution is to hard  reset it to gain access to the webpage using the default login and immediatly place it in bridge mode and use a reputable router of your choice that has all the standard menues and features.

Jump to solution

wrote: If your vehicle never needs to go in reverse (cit...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Darkesha wrote:  If your vehicle never needs to go in reverse (city bus for example), than your transmission should never have a R gear.

How does a coming-on-shift bus-driver get a parked bus out of the overnight storage, without the "R" gear?

Some railway yards have a huge turntable, to turn around a locomotive, even through the locomotive can move in reverse.

I realize that airplanes need to be pushed backwards, in preparation for taxiing on the tarmac to the runway, because the airplane has no "R" gear (and no transmission).

Or - if you never need to go faster than 2km/hr than you don't need braking system that can handle faster speeds.

Pity the child who left their bicycle in the home's driveway, only to watch the parental-unit drive over a vehicle over it, at only 2 KPH.

However ,my printer would randomly stop working until I found out it's not connected anymore to where it was supposed to be. 

Remember that the DHCP-client absolutely needs to have the correct date/time/timezone, so that it will issue the DHCP-renew request at the correct time.  Example: printer is incorrectly set to "2027", and receives a DHCP-response with a TTL ("time to live") of 24 hours. The DHCP-client will schedule a DHCP-renew when 50% of the lease has been consumed. The DHCP-client takes 50% of the difference between the time given in the DHCP-request (2023) and its own time (2027) , and will schedule the DHCP-renew for 2025.  By the next day in 2023, the router will deactivate the device, because the 24 hours in the TTL have expired, without seeing any incoming DHCP-request from the printer.

Be sure that the printer uses the correct "AM" or "PM" setting, if it is not using a 24-hour clock.

0 Kudos