Jump to solution

Bluecurve port forwarding

Rzee
Grasshopper

I have several devices on and connected at all times to the blue curve router. When I try to forward a port through its restricted interface, it only allows listing of connected devices by computer name rather than by IP address like every router in the world.  The issue that I am having is that it is not listing three computer names on the network even though those computers are online with an ethernet connection. Phoned support today, gave the the computer names, IP address and MAC and they couldn't figure it out. In the end they said that this is beyond their scope of service.

Anyone has any ideas how to view the connected devices by IP or how to get bluecurve to see these three computers that are connected to it?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Hello, i had the same problem.  I think it is a problem w...

moosevic
Grasshopper

Hello, i had the same problem.  I think it is a problem with the arp table on the router.

Anyways. I was trying to port forward and the router didn't see my hostname so I couldn't add that computer.

After pulling the last of my hair out I figured out that my computer was actually showing up but under some bogus hostname.

I confirmed this by looking at the mac address.  So this host was supposed to be a specific ip on the network by the bluecurve app.

I changed the IP address of the host to the one the bluecurve app thought it should be.  Voila it worked.  Blue curve still reports incorrect host but my port forwarding works.

BTW, my IPV6 is disabled s discussed on shaws support site.  Good luck

View solution in original post

29 Replies
Jump to solution

The nature of DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol)...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

The nature of DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) implies that when you power-on a computer, it may be assigned a different IP-address than the last time that it was powered-on.  So, configuring by IP-address is inferior to configuring by "host-name".

If you open "File Explorer" on each of the "invisible" computers, and click to open the "Network" icon, do you get a message to configure file-sharing?  If so, allow it, and then retry to "add" it into the BlueCurve.

Jump to solution

All the computers on the network have static IP's so that...

Rzee
Grasshopper

All the computers on the network have static IP's so that I can easily access them. If I need to find their host-name I can use "nslookup".

I tried opening file explorer>Network on one of those computers and saw all the computers that are serving something on the network. No message to configure file-sharing.

I even put one of the so called invisible computers on DHCP and still cannot add it to the host-name list.

I need to setup remote RDP access to these three computers, and port forwarding is a crucial component of that process, but the limitations that are built-in this router are too inhibiting to perform a simple task like port forwarding. I was able to port forward one computer on my network that showed up on the host-name list which happens to have a static IP, but these three computers are not on the list even though they have the same network configuration with different IP's. There are over 70 host-names in the list that were brief guests once in my household, but these three systems have been on and connected for years and are not on the list. Why?

As a network admin l have setup many routers over the years and have never seen a router so restricted. 

Does anyone know what the requirements and process to add a host-name to the list that shows up in the port forwarding page?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Excuse my lack of expertise in this field: You have 3 com...

SP3CTRYS
Grasshopper

Excuse my lack of expertise in this field:
You have 3 computers not showing up on the BlueCurve modem correct? And you said they are connected by ethernet. The BlueCurve modem only has 2 Ethernet ports, if you are using a switch or splitter, is it possible that the switch/splitter will show up in the list of connected devices and you can simply port forward that one device? Or perhaps you need to login to the switch/splitter?

Or as per below, maybe the computers are using a different IP protocol?

Here are some links for port forwarding on the BlueCurve modem:
How to configure advanced settings

BlueCurve Home FAQ Advanced Settings  As per this page:

Why do I not see my device in the Port Forwarding device list?
If the device you want to set up for port forwarding isn't in the list of available devices, first make sure it shows in BlueCurve Home as being connected to your home network. If it still does not appear in the list, it may be because it is using an IPv6 address. Currently, BlueCurve Home only allows port forwards to be set up for devices that are connected to your home network and use an IPv4 address. If the device is dual stack (has both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses), check with the device manufacturer on how to disable the IPv6 or set the IPv4 as 'preferred'.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Hello, i had the same problem.  I think it is a problem w...

moosevic
Grasshopper

Hello, i had the same problem.  I think it is a problem with the arp table on the router.

Anyways. I was trying to port forward and the router didn't see my hostname so I couldn't add that computer.

After pulling the last of my hair out I figured out that my computer was actually showing up but under some bogus hostname.

I confirmed this by looking at the mac address.  So this host was supposed to be a specific ip on the network by the bluecurve app.

I changed the IP address of the host to the one the bluecurve app thought it should be.  Voila it worked.  Blue curve still reports incorrect host but my port forwarding works.

BTW, my IPV6 is disabled s discussed on shaws support site.  Good luck

Jump to solution

Thanks Moosevic for the work-around. That worked for me t...

Rzee
Grasshopper

Thanks Moosevic for the work-around. That worked for me too. Worst router I ever had, very restrictive, I tried to change the range of the DHCP server on the router and found no facility for that either. Called tech support and they can't change that from their end either. I bought a cisco vpn router that I will replace the bluecurve with after I setup the bypass through shaw.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Hi, I also have this problem.  Got a new Shaw router on t...

Rochelley
Grasshopper

Hi,

I also have this problem.  Got a new Shaw router on the weekend, and I was able to port forward for my ethernet-connected desktop computer (which has a static IP) as I identified it in the list by checking the MAC address of all the bogus names I didn't recognize.  RDP worked beautifully for one day.  The next day, I try to connect and RDP won't work.  When I get home and check the settings in the BlueCurve app (why on earth didn't they leave the port forwarding setup the way it was - - by logging in to the router??!!???), my device is no longer in the list and the Port Forward is greyed out.  I had to delete it.  No matter what I do, my connected PC will not show up in that list to set up port forwarding.  Furthermore, when I look at the details on the PC on the Blue Curve App, it shows the IP address as "Unknown", rather than the Static IP I have been using for years and years.  I am at my wit's end.  Do you have any other insights for me?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- Got a new Shaw router on the weekend, and I was able t...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Rochelley -- Got a new Shaw router on the weekend, and I was able to port forward for my ethernet-connected desktop computer (which has a static IP)

Did you switch from a Hitron router to a different Hitron router?

Did you switch from one BlueCurve router to another BlueCurve router?

What is the "static IP" that you have configured into your desktop?

The DHCP-server inside the Hitron hands-out IP-addresses starting with "192.168".

The DHCP-server inside the BlueCurve hands-out IP-addresses starting with "10.0".

So, depending on which router that you have, your "static IP" must be in the same range..

When you use the IPCONFIG command on your desktop computer, what do you see? Something similar to:

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.10
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Hi mdk, I did switch from one BlueCurve router to another...

Rochelley
Grasshopper

Hi mdk,

I did switch from one BlueCurve router to another BlueCurve router so had to set up port forwarding again.  Initially, on Sunday night, the BlueCurve app recognized my machine (by a bogus name but I was able to find it), and the static IP that had been assigned to that machine for years, 10.0.0.137.  Somehow, between Sunday night and Tuesday morning, the Bluecurve online app stopped recognizing the machine's IP address and it now said the IP was "Unknown".  Due to that, the port forward I had set up on Sun night ceased to work. 

I was finally able to solve this last night after nearly tearing my hair out.  Instead of trying to figure out why BlueCurve wasn't recognizing my static IP, I finally removed the Static IP from my machine and let DHCP take over.  The BlueCurve assigned it a new IP address . . . 10.0.0.61.  I went back into the BlueCurve app and confirmed that it was recognizing my machine and was displaying the new IP address.  It did.  I was then able to forward the port I need.  Immediately I went back to my computer settings and set up 10.0.0.61 as a static IP.  Now all is well.  I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner . . . would have saved me a ton of time.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Hi Rochelley, The only issue with assigning 10.0.0.61 as...

Rzee
Grasshopper

Hi Rochelley,

The only issue with assigning 10.0.0.61 as a static IP when the DHCP server has assigned that address is that it is within the DHCP range of the server and you might get a network conflict in the future. 

0 Kudos