Jump to solution

Can I set up a "guest" login for my home Wi-Fi network?

boondali
Grasshopper

If I want to share my internet with roommates, but I don't want them to be able to change my WiFi network password or login to my modem, is there a way to set up a separate "guest" login?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

I appreciate your feedback. A private guest network is no...

shaw-tony

@IslandPlanet @Xtech I appreciate your feedback. A private guest network is not an available option on the BlueCurve Gateway. It is still available on the Hitron/Cisco Advanced WiFi modems if you are looking for that specific feature.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Jump to solution

Re: Can I set up a "guest" login for my home Wi-Fi network?

shaw-tamara

Hi  

We can see if we can help you out with that. What modem do you have? And are you using a separate router, or just the Shaw WiFi modem? 

Jump to solution

randyz
Grasshopper

I have the same question. I just upgraded to Arris XB6 modem. 

Jump to solution

shaw-tony

Hey randyz,

Unfortunately, the XB6 modem does not have a "guest" login feature available. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

randyz
Grasshopper

Thanks for the reply, Tony. I could not find this guest function either. I thought there must be a solution.

I am thinking to add a router behind the modem. Can you please give a procedure about how to configure the Gateway and Router to make the router physically separate from the home network? I hear we can have a second IP address... If you have an established procedure to achieve this that you can share, that would be very helpful.

Jump to solution

shaw-tamara

If you want to set up your own router, your best bet is to put the XB6 into bridge mode first. This will disable the WiFi signal on the modem so that you can use your own router. You can find the steps to do this on https://community.shaw.ca/docs/DOC-15056 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Is there perhaps an update coming to add guest wifi?

R6R1DER
Grasshopper

Is there perhaps an update coming to add guest wifi?

Jump to solution

At this time we don't have any information on if this fea...

shaw-valerie

@R6R1DER At this time we don't have any information on if this feature may be added in the future, but thanks for letting us know that it's one you would be interested in! 

Jump to solution

Since the beginning of home WiFi a guest login has always...

IslandPlanet
Grasshopper

Since the beginning of home WiFi a guest login has always been available. I have a work crew on site for two weeks and don't want to give out my main password. How have we lost this ability with newfangled hardware?

Jump to solution

I agree. I dont want my whole network viewable by a guest...

Xtech
Grasshopper

I agree. I dont want my whole network viewable by a guest. Seems like a pretty basic feature that these routers do not have.

TALK TO US
We're here to help