Cannot send email when using app

rinrat86
Grasshopper

We have a problem where any time we are not at home connected to our Shaw internet we cannot sent email through the email app on our devices.  We have 4 different devices affected - 2 Samsung phones, Samsung tablet and iPad.  Can send receive email without problem when at home on shaw home wifi, but if we are on data or on different internet provider, emails sent from our shaw email accounts get sent to the Outbox .  Error message says there is a problem connecting to the server and message will be sent as soon as connection is restored.

Do not have the error or any problem if I am sending a gmail account 

Shaw support says not their problem, and I should just use webmail.

Wondering if others have had this issue

Labels (1)
36 Replies

-- when your device is connected to the Shaw network, tha...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rinrat86 -- when your device is connected to the Shaw network, that authorizes you to send E-mail through Shaw's mail-server.

When your device is connected to some other network, Shaw does not accept E-mail for delivery. Telus applies the same "rule". This is done to limit "spammers" from using any mail-server on any network to send their junk.

However, if you can configure your device to "authenticate" (with your Shaw E-mail ID and its password), then you are authorized to use Shaw's mail-server.

If you are "on data", are you connected to the Shaw Mobile cellular service, or to some other company's service? The same "rule" applies.

> Do not have the error or any problem if I am sending a gmail account 

Yes, Google's Gmail service is similar to Shaw's WebMail service -- after you logon, you can send E-mail.

When you are trying to receive E-mail, you are sending your Shaw E-mail ID and password, to Shaw's mail-server, to authenticate that you are entitled to receive "your" E-mail.

Shaw support says not their problem, and I should just use Webmail.

That is one "bad" answer, and one "good" answer, in one sentence. It is unfortunate that the Shaw Agent did not give you the "best" answer, namely to configure to "authenticate".  Lacking of proper training, I presume.

> Wondering if others have had this issue

Yes, every Shaw customer trying to send E-mail when not connected to the Shaw network will have this issue, until they "authenticate" to Shaw's mail-server.

Thanks for the response.   Here is a screen shot of my se...

rinrat86
Grasshopper

Screenshot_20211219-181457_Email.jpg

Thanks for the response.  

Here is a screen shot of my settings. It looks to me that it is set to authenticate for outgoing.

Do I have something wrong?

173.26 KB of 173.26 KB
0 Kudos

-- you seem to be following the details on Shaw's web-pag...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rinrat86 -- you seem to be following the details on Shaw's web-page: How To: Set up your Shaw email - Shaw Support

Please verify that your settings match the settings listed on that web-page.

0 Kudos

Yes, my settings do match. I have deleted accounts and re...

rinrat86
Grasshopper

Yes, my settings do match. I have deleted accounts and reconfigured them following those instructions multiple times. I have tried both images and pop settings.

In all tries I can receive but not send.  Whatever is supposed authenticate is not working.

I am regularly having this problem too. Using SMTP with p...

Matt_c
Grasshopper

I am regularly having this problem too. Using SMTP with password authentication. Email client is Mail app on an iPhone 13 running iOS 15.1.1. I am using ‘mail.shaw.ca’ and server port 587. Been a customer of Shaw cable internet for ~20 years. I’ve been using this configuration on my iPhone for ages (perhaps with a different SMTP server years ago, but otherwise the same), and this issue has been getting more and more common lately. I haven’t been able to send email all evening.  I pray someone senior from Shaw gets sent this and sees this because I’m losing my mind in frustration. 

Additional details:

- I am off-network (not using Shaw internet connection) as my cellphone service is not through Shaw

- I have a degree in Comp Sci. Believe me, my settings are correct per what Shaw has published online for POP & SMTP.  

- I’m using POP because Shaw doesn’t provide enough server-side storage to use IMAP. Receiving email works fine. Sending via authenticated SMTP is the issue. 

- The problem has definitely been sporadic with NO change to my configuration or what network provider I’m connected to the internet via. But as I say, over past 6 months or so the issue has been getting more and more common.  

- The error message I receive in my email client (which I admit is not too descriptive) is:

”Cannot Send Mail” “The connection to ‘mail.shaw.ca’ failed.”

People are complaining of similar problems on Reddit and elsewhere on the internet. Shaw, you’ve got some issue here! Shrugging and saying use webmail isn’t a reasonable answer. Thank you. 

Yes, this exactly.  I'm also a former IT person and have...

rinrat86
Grasshopper

Yes, this exactly.  I'm also a former IT person and have gone through the settings multiple times.  I'm also a Shaw internet customer for more than 20 years.

My guess is that Shaw's outgoing email server will not properly handshake from an off-network request.

Shaw's "solution" that we use WEBMAIL is not a solution.  Webmail is crap compared to even the worst email client I have used.

Thanks for your reply.

I can send Shaw email, while connected to Telus and Bell...

rstra
Grand Master

I can send Shaw email, while connected to Telus and Bell On iOS. Here are my outgoing settings.

62CFE86C-822C-4599-B058-E487C5D648CF.jpeg

0 Kudos

On Android a d recommendation  is TLS and port 587.Tried...

rinrat86
Grasshopper

On Android a d recommendation  is TLS and port 587.Tried switch to SSL and it defaults to port 465 .  This setting just sits and spins, no error, no connection

Override to port 587 and get the error couldn't verify account. A security connection error has occurred

I am having same problem.  I am using iPhone 13 Pro runni...

js711
Grasshopper

I am having same problem.  I am using iPhone 13 Pro running IOS 15.4. Using the IOS mail app and MS Outlook, both apps cannot reach the servers of iCloud, Gmail, Shawmail and Yahoo when connected to Shaw LTE. As soon as I turn on Wi-Fi and connected to a Wi-Fi network with Internet access, the same mail apps can reach these mail servers and send and receive emails. 

TALK TO US
We're here to help