D-link pods and arris xb6 slowing down wifi

Not applicable

Hello everybody,

On Shaw internet 150 was using an airport express and a singular apple booster to provide wifi to the whole house. Even if it was spotty in some areas like the basement where speeds were averaging around 88-136 MBPS download. In the living room beside the router we were it was nearly always at 150 MBPS. Recently we contacted support about the issues and were instructed to add d-link pods to our system.

As of today, we added three D-link pods to our wifi network to try and fix some of the issues we have been having. We now find that in the rooms where wifi was spotty before it is non-existent with speeds averaging 17.5 download speed and 5.70 upload speed. I have found it the worse on any type of iPhone or iPad where the device has troubles streaming Netflix or youtube, surfing or looking up articles, and basic activities like kredit karma or even ookla's speed test. on my laptop, I can average 22.5-58 MBPS now. The only location in my house that has around 150 MBPS+ is right beside the router in our living rooms (and out of 25 tests over the pasts 3 hours I can say this has only been to 200 once), usually averaging 122 MBPS.

There are few things that I think may be interfering but any help would be greatly appreciated as I am losing my mind trying to get everything functional again. 

First would be instead of changing over to our d-link modem we are still using our 3 d-link pods with the airport express router. This means two networks are simultaneously running. Could this be splitting the strength of the network?

second would be maybe our d-links are too close as we have them all downstairs in the areas that were having trouble before the switch meaning each is in a room beside each other. Could they be overlapping and dragging down the network?

Sincerely a man that feels stuck in the stone age.

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Re: D-link pods and arris xb6 slowing down wifi

shaw-tony

Hey bsquig,

Thank you for reaching out! WiFi is subject to interference, I have more details on that here. As you are using 3rd party equipment, I will recommend contacting D-link to see what is the best solution for your set up. Based on experience, WiFi extenders will have degraded speeds at farther distances. We do offer a Mesh WiFi system which can help give both better coverage and improved speeds. You can find more information on that here. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos

Re: D-link pods and arris xb6 slowing down wifi

rickatk
Master

Do you mean AirPort Extreme or Express router?

What do you mean by singular Apple booster?

Adding non mesh wifi expanders generally will slow your system down. 

Adding after market wifi routers, in bridged mode, generally works the same or better than the Shaw wifi gear. 

I have found the Arris XB6 modem router combination to work pretty good(others haven’t).

After much experimenting with Shaw’s wifi hardware offerings I settled on the Technicolour version of Shaw’s wifi gateway, no bridged wifi routers, expanders or pods required.

The Technicolour version works easily as well as my AirPort Extreme in bridged mode.

I would suggest ordering up some BlueCurve pods and perhaps a Technicolour gateway.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help