Fibre Gig wifi issues

silas1
Grasshopper

First time question. We recently upgraded to BlueCurve, Fibre Gig. Since then I have been pulling my hair out with regard to wifi speeds and dropped signals. How I wish I could revert back to my old system that I sent back!

Ethernet is good at 950+ Mbps

Laptop on wireless is ~ 350'ish ( Lenovo T480s)

Ipad mini 2 is around 40 Mbps

Iphone 5s is around 25 at best. These are all on 5G.

Is the poor performance with the Ipad and Iphone due to being old and not being able to capture the AC wireless signal? Iphone 5 just has a/g/n I believe...

Would appreciate any words of wisdom....

Cheers

Steve

Labels (1)
3 Replies

yes, it really depends on the device and range. The BlueC...

shaw-tony

@silas1 yes, it really depends on the device and range. The BlueCurve modem runs on both 2.4/5Ghz at the same time and will determine the best connection strength for your devices. WiFi interference may also affect speeds. The iPad and iPhone are certainly older devices. You could try splitting the network to the separate 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks to exclusively connect to the 5Ghz network (factory reset required and configuration is through the modem GUI). Hopefully, that helps.

0 Kudos

unfortunately with these gig speeds wifi is going to be a...

dragonstone634
Grasshopper

unfortunately with these gig speeds wifi is going to be an issue, and always will as more and more stuff goes on wifi. age/condition of device. wifi device( a,b,g,n,ac,wifi6) wifi AP unit. Surrounding devices, surrounding other wifi networks. objects wifi has has to through(walls, floors). number of devices on the wifi network,look at all the IOT things that while don't use much bandwidth are constantly transmitting waiting for a command.

Wifi has the advantage of being convention but also has major issues including security. Data your device transmits goes everywhere, hackers could and can collect this data and possibly crack it to see exactly what you are doing.

Sounds like you are set up in discrete band mode. Have yo...

rickatk
Master

@shaw-tony wrote:

@silas1 yes, it really depends on the device and range. The BlueCurve modem runs on both 2.4/5Ghz at the same time and will determine the best connection strength for your devices. WiFi interference may also affect speeds. The iPad and iPhone are certainly older devices. You could try splitting the network to the separate 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks to exclusively connect to the 5Ghz network (factory reset required and configuration is through the modem GUI). Hopefully, that helps.

Sounds like you are set up in discrete band mode. Have you tried pointing your devices to 2.4Ghz to see what kind of performance you can get. Alternatively set your Gateway to dual band and let your devices and the Gateway sort out the best channels and bandwith. You are correct though, your devices are older and may not be optimizing the best capabilities of your Fibre+ Gig service. 

TALK TO US
We're here to help