Jump to solution

Gigabit Speed Test

SP3CTRYS
Grasshopper

So I just got upgraded to Gigabit speeds today and in my excitement went and ran some speed test for fun

(I understand speed tests don't directly reflect real world use)

To my surprise only 1 website I tried indicated gigabit speeds fast.com

Ookla speed test ,Shaws speed test and Google speed test all said between 500-600mbps.

I ran the tests back to back and only fast showed 1.3gbps. I do not really care if a speed test is off a bit. Just curious why they vary so much and if there is a more accurate way of doing the test?

I should add my PC is hard wired in with the whatever cable came in the box, probably 5e, and my PC lan port is 10/100/1000

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

-- upgraded to Gigabit speeds today ... FAST.COM showed 1...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@SP3CTRYS -- upgraded to Gigabit speeds today ... FAST.COM showed 1.3 Gbps.

The Shaw SpeedTest usually shows SLIGHTLY more speed than what your plan is offering, but I have difficulty believing that you are actually getting 30% more than what your cable-modem is provisioned for.

Are you using "wireless" ? Some WiFi network-adapters cannot deliver gigabit speeds.

Open the Windows "Task Manager", select the "Performance" tab, and minimize it. Launch the Shaw SpeedTest, and switch back to that window. Is your "CPU" showing at 100% busy -- you need a fast computer to actually run the test as its full speed. Is your "Network" showing the current download speed?

View solution in original post

20 Replies
Jump to solution

-- upgraded to Gigabit speeds today ... FAST.COM showed 1...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@SP3CTRYS -- upgraded to Gigabit speeds today ... FAST.COM showed 1.3 Gbps.

The Shaw SpeedTest usually shows SLIGHTLY more speed than what your plan is offering, but I have difficulty believing that you are actually getting 30% more than what your cable-modem is provisioned for.

Are you using "wireless" ? Some WiFi network-adapters cannot deliver gigabit speeds.

Open the Windows "Task Manager", select the "Performance" tab, and minimize it. Launch the Shaw SpeedTest, and switch back to that window. Is your "CPU" showing at 100% busy -- you need a fast computer to actually run the test as its full speed. Is your "Network" showing the current download speed?

Jump to solution

Thanks for the info  I do use my desktop with an Ethernet...

SP3CTRYS
Grasshopper

Thanks for the info @mdk I do use my desktop with an Ethernet cord, no wifi.

Shaw does over provision internet speed to allow for any losses that could happen either within or outside the home.

I ran the test as suggested through Shaw speed test and had Task manager open. The speed test results were 770 Mbps, while Task manager showed 30% CPU usage and a peak of 930 Mbps.

Based on these results, I clearly dwell too much on numbers rather than enjoying my service. 

For the record, anyone looking to Upgrade to Gigabit, I have noticed little improvement to my service from 300. I use upto 6 devices (5 wireless, 1 hardwired) simultaneously in my home. Though I would say there may be a placebo effect of more consistent speed across all my devices.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I kind of have the same issue. My connection is only 200-...

MapleSchnitzel
Grasshopper

I kind of have the same issue. My connection is only 200-450mbps on speedtest.net, fast.com and googlespeedtest. I have tried WiFi AX and I have hooked to the modem with a cat8 cable good for 48 Gbps, Windows says I have a 1 Gbps connection to the modem doesn't matter what cable I hook up or even on WiFi AX. Phone Shaw and they said my connection is good, I dont believe them because 6 months ago I had Internet 600 and when I tested that is was always between 550-650 depending on the day.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

--- I recommend that you contact Shaw (either live-chat o...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@MapleSchnitzel ---

I recommend that you contact Shaw (either live-chat or telephone), for them to trouble-shoot possible issues, in no particular order:
1.failing network-adapter inside your computer,
2.out-of-date device-driver software for the network-adapter,
3.inadequate Ethernet cable between your computer and your BlueCurve (OK for 600, but not for 1000? Try a different one?),
4.power brown-out affecting the cable-modem (plug it directly into a wall-socket, not a power-bar?),
5.failing coaxial-cable from the cable-modem either to a coaxial-splitter or a coaxial wall-port (try a different cable?)
6.inadequate in-the-wall coaxial cable inside your home (OK at 300, but not good-enough for 1000?),
7.failing coaxial-splitter inside Shaw's demarcation-box on the outside of your home (only a Shaw technician can open the box to replace it),
8.problematic coaxial-cable from the demarcation-box to the telephone-pole (one person here reported that Shaw found too much tension on the cable -- replacing the cable solved that person's problem),
9.problem up-and-down the street (got any nearby neighbours with "Fibre+ Gig" who are also having problems?).
10.got another enabled cable-outlet in your home? Can you try connecting to it?
11.got any "signal-amplifier" hooked-up? Can you bypass it?
12.got any coaxial-splitter between the cable-modem and the cable-outlet? Can you bypass it?
13.Shaw can remotely logon to your cable-modem, and measure the signal-strength. Ask them to do so.
14.Check that your coaxial-cables are tightly-screwed on. Avoid decades-old "push-on" cables.

You're literally paying Shaw thousands of dollars per year to get "support". Contact them, and make them earn your money. 🙂

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I have contacted them before I started looking on this me...

MapleSchnitzel
Grasshopper

I have contacted them before I started looking on this message board, they had me restart my modem and then we did a factory reset, they told me that everything looks good on there end. I have a ASUS Router RT-AX88U (Beause shaws is garbage). I also am running a cat8 cable from the modem to the router which is only 2 feet long (which also is good for 48 Gbps). I have tried using a cat8 cable to the router and right to the modem I have also tried using wifi6 160mhz as my computer supports it not that it would matter. I have also tried to just hooking the main coaxial cable directly to my modem.  It is an issue with my service I think. My next action is to try and get a tech to my house to check my single strength 

Jump to solution

--  My next action is to try and get a tech to my house t...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@MapleSchnitzel --  My next action is to try and get a tech to my house to check my single strength.

Contact Shaw (online-chat or telephone) and get the employee to instantly remotely-connect to your modem, and check the married strength.

Also, try a different Ethernet cable (CAT 5e or CAT 6) to connect from your cable-modem directly to your computer.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

checking your account, the modem is not in bridged mode f...

shaw-tony

@MapleSchnitzel checking your account, the modem is not in bridged mode for a 3rd party router to be connected properly. You would be experiencing a double NAT issue which is likely the cause of the slower speeds. I'd recommend bridging your modem with the steps here, then factory resetting your router so it can recognize the new connection. Then try a direct ethernet connection from the router to your PC (update the ethernet drivers as well) to see what the speeds look like from https://speedtest.shaw.ca/. The signal to your modem/area looks solid with no uncorrectable errors showing up.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Thank you shaw-tony I will give it a try when I get home...

MapleSchnitzel
Grasshopper

Thank you shaw-tony I will give it a try when I get home on Wednesday when I get home. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Just tried bridging the modem and it made no difference s...

MapleSchnitzel
Grasshopper

Just tried bridging the modem and it made no difference still the max speed I can get is 400mbps 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help