Jump to solution

How can I get both 2.4 GHz and 5GHz network?

Lloyd1649
Grasshopper

I have a slightly older Sonos device that will only connect with a 2.4GHz network. Right now I only have a 5GHz showing. Please advise.

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

What you need to do is disable band steering and turn off...

rstra
Grand Master

@Lloyd1649  What you need to do is disable band steering and turn off the 5 ghz network. All devices will switch over to 2.4 and you should be able to connect that legacy Sonos speaker. After it is up and running, you can re-enable band steering and the Sonos will stay on the 2.4 side. 

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-articles/how-to-connect-2-4-ghz-devices-without-disabling-band-s...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Jump to solution

And, your modem is…?

rstra
Grand Master

And, your modem is…?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum, where v...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Lloyd1649 -- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum, where volunteers try to help.  It is not a path to Shaw Support (1-888-472-2222 or www.shaw.ca/chat ).  

If you have a newer cable-modem, it broadcasts just one network SSID, and the cable-modem tries to negotiate with your device, to connect to either 2.4 or 5 Ghz.  One can configure the cable-modem to broadcast two SSIDs -- one for 2.4 Ghz devices, and a different one for 5 Ghz devices. Then, configure your SONOS to connect to the 2.4 Ghz network.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Hi , thanks for the reply. Yes, it's a new modem. How wou...

Lloyd1649
Grasshopper

Hi , thanks for the reply. Yes, it's a new modem. How would I go about configuring the cable-modem to broadcast two SSIDs?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Is the modem and XB6 or 7?

rstra
Grand Master

@Lloyd1649   Is the modem and XB6 or 7?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Not sure, no ref on bottom of unit. New 2 weeks ago.

Lloyd1649
Grasshopper

Not sure, no ref on bottom of unit. New 2 weeks ago.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

What you need to do is disable band steering and turn off...

rstra
Grand Master

@Lloyd1649  What you need to do is disable band steering and turn off the 5 ghz network. All devices will switch over to 2.4 and you should be able to connect that legacy Sonos speaker. After it is up and running, you can re-enable band steering and the Sonos will stay on the 2.4 side. 

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-articles/how-to-connect-2-4-ghz-devices-without-disabling-band-s...

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- the XB7 has 4 Ethernet sockets.  The XB6 has 2 Etherne...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Lloyd1649 -- the XB7 has 4 Ethernet sockets.  The XB6 has 2 Ethernet sockets.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help