Is Port 25 (STMP) Blocked?

puya
Grasshopper

Hello,

Does Shaw block outbound STMP connections? I am trying to set my own STMP server and it seems that my connection is being blocked. I contacted chat support and they told me Shaw has not blocked any ports on their end. I have tested the server locally and it works and I have also checked my modem settings and there are no rules for blocking any ports. So I figured I ask here as well. My understanding is that some ISPs block outbound port 25 to help reduce spam and that you would have to contact them and ask specifically to open it for you. So here is my question again:
1) Is outbound port 25 blocked by Shaw?

2) If so can/will they open it upon request? Who should I contact?

3) If not do you know of any ISP that does allow STMP servers?

To clarify, my question is not about inbound traffic, I am asking about OUTBOUND. I know I need to setup port forwarding for inbound. (sorry for pointing out the obvious I had to repeat myself for the agent multiple times and he kept telling me that I don't have port forwarding set)

Pooya

Labels (2)
12 Replies

Re: Is Port 25 (STMP) Blocked?

Not applicable

1) Is outbound port 25 blocked by Shaw?

2) If so can/will they open it upon request? Who should I contact?

3) If not do you know of any ISP that does allow STMP servers?

1) Yes on dynamic IPs

2) Kind of..  If you get a static IP it will be open, a static IP requires a business account

3) Yes, the some of independent ISPs using DSL do (allow static IPs on residential accounts)

Other option is to use a SMTP relay.  Some of the free for low-volume emails are really good.  Most though, are not.  Or Shaw's SMTP relay (only thing you'll be able to connect to using 25)

Outgoing TCP 25 is the only port that Shaw blocks.

puya
Grasshopper

Thanks Kevin,

Where can I find more information about Shaw's SMTP relay service?

"Outgoing TCP 25 is the only port that Shaw blocks."

How about TCP 587? That one seems to be also blocked for me.

By the way, I'm just curious. Isn't port blocking against some net neutrality law?

0 Kudos

Not applicable

I don't think it is against net neutrality, but I haven't tried applying SMTP blocking to the rules...  I run a number of mail servers, I quite like that majority of ISPs block customers from directly sending emails - too many infected machines sending SPAM....

TCP 587 is open.

As I said above, Outgoing TCP 25 is the only port that Shaw blocks.

Setup your email server to relay outgoing mail (sometimes called SmartHost) to mail.shaw.ca or shawmail.cg.shawcable.net port 25

You can also use 587 with a Shaw email username and password to mail.shaw.ca (your emails will still be 'from' the correct address, just allows you to log into the server)

Otherwise, yes any other email relay server using a port other than 25 will do.

Did you manage to get the 25 working with Shaw? If so, how?

pedrokertzman
Grasshopper

Did you manage to get the 25 working with Shaw? If so, how?

0 Kudos

-- a previous posting:   2) Kind of..  If you get a stati...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@pedrokertzman -- a previous posting:

2) Kind of..  If you get a static IP it will be open, a static IP requires a [Shaw Business] account.

has the answer.

The larger question is why one would want to be responsible for running an SMTP-server, and monitoring it for possible abuse by spammers.

If you are using Microsoft Exchange Server, configure it to use "smart-hosting" -- your clients will send to your M.E.S., and it will send to Shaw's SMTP-server. -- eezy peezy.  🙂

0 Kudos

Diminishing democracy starting from such a statements - w...

Gkirko
Grasshopper

Diminishing democracy starting from such a statements - we do it for public good!(why one would want to be responsible for running an SMTP-server, and monitoring it for possible abuse by spammers.)

Don't be stupid and don't question/limit others intentions!(if those are within a law).

The first you ask "why you want it?" and then "Why you eat pasta? Potato is way better! So, eat potato!".

0 Kudos

Lack of freedoms in canada are revealing everwhere.. So,...

Gkirko
Grasshopper

Lack of freedoms in canada are revealing everwhere.. So, good luck!

0 Kudos

-- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum. Please...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Gkirko -- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum.

Please respect the House Rules:

• We are all responsible for cultivating a positive and respectful community by being courteous and friendly with one another.
  • We encourage honesty and transparency, but let’s all stay away from any sort of inflammatory language.

Having a driver's license limits your "freedom" in Canada to drive on the wrong side of the road. Rules are needed, in this forum, on the Internet, and in real life.

I respect anybody!!! But high disrespect to this rule...

Gkirko
Grasshopper

I highly respect anybody as i love sharing knowledge is great!!! But high disrespect to this rule!!! 

You mixing apples and oranges! Rules are different! Driving on  wrong side put people lives at risk but what risk for public in 25 port rule? Does it hurt anybody(may be only somebody feelings) So answer is - Nobody hurts! It just to control!! So, Marching with military music is also a rule exiting in some communists countries and they started from simple small rules that good for public. It just matter of time to get from small to big.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help