Low Upload Speeds??

Not applicable

So currently Shaw has low upload speeds. You have to dig to even find out what you are going to be getting for an upload speed with your account.  Even with Shaw 600 you will only get an upload of "up to" 20MB 

https://www.shaw.ca/store/internet/internetPackageCompare.jsp?catId=cat280009

You have to go here to compare as they don't even tell you your upload speed on their order pages.  Upload speeds on cable internet is determined by the DOCSIS technology that is being used.  In most cases I believe that Shaw is running DOCSIS 3.1 for all Bluesky customers.  This technology Allows for almost matching download and upload speeds.  If you also have issue with the low upload speeds please add yourself to this discussion.  It would be better if you are having a problem with your upload speeds to check other discussions to see if you can get your specific problem dealt with.  https://community.shaw.ca/community/forums/internet-forum  you can search or post your problem in the forums.

Labels (2)
11 Replies

Re: Low Upload Speeds??

cpmrich36
Grasshopper

if you want 125 uploads, they have to subscribe to a business plan, it more mone which is more money unfortunely.  it what it is. 

My internet speed is very low.I have been asking for the...

sachinkumar
Grasshopper

My internet speed is very low.I have been asking for the same could you remove my device.

0 Kudos

Information on differences between Cat6, 7, and 8 cables....

ChipmunkChill
Grasshopper

Information on differences between Cat6, 7, and 8 cables.  Which I think is why so many are having a problem as Cat 5 looks nearly identical but it's the difference between an HDMI cable and a HDMI 4K/6K cable.  Gold plated connectors, etc for higher bandwidth.

* Get Cat 6 cable which supports up to 1G/s transfer rates.(cat5/5e looks very similar but lower bandwidth). 

Cat 6 cables can be got on Amazon.ca for about $15 including shipping for a pack of 2 - 10ft cables.  Cables in store tend to be more expensive unless you go to a dollar store(a few do have cables but might not have Cat6 though they do have cat cables and HDMI 4K for $17 or less for up to 6ft)

* When getting a new cable if over 10 feet look at purchasing shielded or cloth shielded(braided) line.

If plugging into a TV from a computer video card or onboard.  Keep refresh rates not much higher than 60 to 80.  They can go higher but if your using onboard it will possibly fry your motherboard or CPU.  If running dual video cards it might not be a problem as long as you are not using VGA to tv and instead are using HDMI.  Many computers will lock out anything about 60 without HDMI enabled for that screen.  Also if  you get a monitor/tv don't make the mistake I did and properly look up viewing distance and acuity.  I had to return my 24in and then bought a 21 I'm waiting for.  This is because max distance on a desk for 21in at 1080p is about 3ft(2.9ft).  Otherwise it will look weird and your eyes will bug you.(curved screens aren't as bad though)

0 Kudos

Most people are just having a cable problem.  They don't...

ChipmunkChill
Grasshopper

Most people are just having a cable problem.  They don't realize cat5 and 6 have significant speed differences.  The two types look nearly identical in the cable line and it's the connector that stands out as a little different(color wise).  But the whole cable is different.  If your using a lot of different appliances or more than one family member on the internet a cat5e might be ok for each individual computer but the main line should use a cat6.  For optimal across everyone in the house you would want a cat6 cable.  Cat 6 get's you to about 1g/s and since accounts are 300mb/600mb the 1g/s cord is right.  The cat5e does significantly less at half the performance rate.  Cat 6 to 8 can be backward compatible.  If the end of the connector looks like clear plastic it likely is the wrong rj45 to be using it should be silvery or gold.

> The CAT-5e does significantly less at half the performa...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> The CAT-5e does significantly less at half the performance rate. 

Half of what? Actually, one-tenth.

CAT-5 is certified to 100 Mbits/second, but you might get more, e.g., the no-longer-offered "Shaw 150".

CAT-5e is certified to 1000 Mbits/second.

CAT-6 must be used when you need/want more than 1 Gbit/second.

Look closely at the printing on the length of the cable. Something like:

CM 75(degree) C(elsius) UTP 4PR (pair) 24 AWG VERIFIED (UL) CAT.5 CSA

ETL VERIFIED TIA/EIA-568--B.2 CAT.5e UTP PATCH 60(degree) C(elsius) 30V 26AWG

UTP 4PR 24AWGTYPE CM(UL) VERIFIED TO TIA/EIA-568-B.2 -1 CATEGORY 6

rather than the colour of the ends of the cables.

0 Kudos

In times of COVID, upload is as important as download, si...

brunoborges
Grasshopper

In times of COVID, upload is as important as download, since now my wife and I, and others in our home, rely on video conference calls all day.

0 Kudos

-- ... rely on video conference calls all day Whenever I...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@brunoborges -- ... rely on video conference calls all day

Whenever I am within a Zoom session, and open the Windows Task Manager, and switch to the Performance tab, and click on the Internet device, I see that my network connection never goes above 2 Mbit/second.  So, having "Internet 300" with 15 Mbit/second upload speed, is definitely much faster than what I need. I've never tried 6 or 7 simultaneous Zoom sessions (from the other occupants in my home) to actually use 2*6 or 2*7 Mbit/second.  🙂

So, having anything more than 15 Mbit/second is not "important" to me.

0 Kudos

while I agree theoretically regarding the CAT 5 vs CAT 6...

uwish
Grasshopper

while I agree theoretically regarding the CAT 5 vs CAT 6 discussion and optimum speeds, if you really think people have 'slow' internet because they are only running CAT 5 think again.  I have fiber and get 780 down on average and their published 20 up.  All CAT 5, the 3.1 DOCSIS modem with there current channel mapping allows for full bi directional speeds.  If you have the blue curve style DVR it is fully duplex at 10 G bidirectionally.  It is shaw that limits your upload ability on the cable modem, but it pulls any recorded data off the cloud at 10.

0 Kudos

-- I have fiber and get 780 down on average and their pub...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@uwish -- I have fiber and get 780 down on average and their published 20 up.  All CAT 5.

Do you have fibre connecting directly to your cable-modem -- some Shaw customers in Calgary do -- or is your "last mile" over coaxial cable, connecting to your cable-modem?

I don't believe your claim that a "CAT-5" Ethernet cable, between your cable-modem and your computer, will receive at 780 Mbits/second. Take a magnifying glass to view the embossed lettering on the Ethernet cable -- if it does not state "CAT 5e" (or "CAT 6"), it is "CAT 5", which is limited to 100 Mbits/second.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help