Jump to solution

Modem broadcasting extra SSID's, bridge mode isnt "full bridge mode"..

shanE_
Grasshopper

Hi.. im a recently new (returning) shaw customer.. i have the fiber 500 plan. Speeds are fine both down and up. My modem is in bridge mode, i already disabled the hotspot option. But my modem which the XB6, is still broadcasting 2 "hidden" SSIDs on 2.4GHz, 1 on 5GHz. they are useless and polluting the wifi spectrum here. I have internet only and no TV or phone so theres no reason for these as I said my modem is in bridge mode. Speaking of bridge mode, my router gets a 24.78.x.x IP, while i can still use the modem IP of 10.0.0.1 and see it has a 50.70.x.x IP, this is more like IP passthrough in a way and far from "proper bridge mode".. im asking if theres a way to have FULL BRIDGE MODE on my modem and to stop the useless SSIDs broadcasting and adding pollution to the wifi airspace..?

I called already, the agent did understand, but was unable to help cause i was told i might need "level 2" or something department, which she was unable to transfer me to. Is there some options here? I also inquired about using my own modem, which i know is a model Shaw network DOES support cause its been used here with third party providers, i was told no. I disagree.. its a TC4400, and id love to use that with you, not a competitor so I dont know what the hidings about, we know they work..

If nothing can be answered here, i'd appreciate being forwarded to the department that handles such, thank you. Your forum AI system isnt letting much labels to be inserted so....

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

The hidden SSIDs are for the wireless BlueCurve TV boxes,...

rstra
Grand Master

@shanE_ The hidden SSIDs are for the wireless BlueCurve TV boxes, even thought you aren’t a TV subscriber, I don’t think there is a way to disable those broadcasts. You can’t use that modem with your plan, or any plan as Shaw does not support the use of owned modems, even though that model is compatible with their internet.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
23 Replies
Jump to solution

-- my router gets a 24.78.x.x IP, while i can still use t...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@shanE_ -- my router gets a 24.78.x.x IP, while i can still use the modem IP of 10.0.0.1 and see it has a 50.70.x.x IP

Hmm. I think that a "bridged" cable-modem should NOT obtain an IP-address at all.

That "10.0.0.1" is accessible only from a computer connected to a LAN port on the cable-modem, so that you can still logon to the cable-modem's web-based interface, such as to "unbridge" the cable-modem.

By "my router", do you mean a customer-provided router, connected from its WAN port to a LAN port on the cable-modem, or the cable-modem itself?

What is the IP-address of the DHCP-server that provided each IP-address to your computer? And, the TTL value?

Have you powered-off the cable-modem, by disconnecting its AC power, to "clear" any previous DHCP-responses, restarted, and then checked again?

Also, some contributors on this forum have reported different results if a Shaw Agent "bridges" the cable-modem, as compared to when you do it, such as the non-presence of SSIDs (both hidden & non-hidden).

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- If nothing can be answered here ... This is a peer-to-...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@shanE_ -- If nothing can be answered here ...

This is a peer-to-peer discussion forum, not a path to Shaw Support.

There is a small possibility that an employee of Shaw, such as the forum's moderator(s), may see your post, and may personally respond (maybe only via the "private message" feature of this forum).  But, you need to contact Shaw to be "forwarded" to any second-level support person.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I have some answers for you, but should i wait for shaw o...

shanE_
Grasshopper

I have some answers for you, but should i wait for shaw or..? Would answering your questions help?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

And do you know how i would do that? OTHER THAN THE REGUL...

shanE_
Grasshopper

And do you know how i would do that? OTHER THAN THE REGULAR CUSTOMER SUPPORT/TECH SUPPORT?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- Would answering your questions help? Maybe, answering...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@shanE_ -- Would answering your questions help?

Maybe, answering your questions might give you some "direction" and "trouble-shooting" steps that might be useful to present to Shaw.

> do you know how i would do that?

By leading the first-level person to the point when they finally realize that giving any solution to your problem exceeds their ability to assist you, and then asking them to "escalate" to a second-level employee.

I think of the "Karen" meme, where "Karen" always demands to bypass any store clerk, to speak directly to the business' manager.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I tried for hours.. most claimed a higher level tier 2 le...

shanE_
Grasshopper

I tried for hours.. most claimed a higher level tier 2 level 2 etc doesnt exist, and my own modem wouldnt work. A finger or two did understand what im after & that my modem will work* (without support) which im okay with.. but did not literally have the option to escalate.. the best i have is maybe a tech coming tomorrow (will call first). Hope he or she knows what im talking about..

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

The hidden SSIDs are for the wireless BlueCurve TV boxes,...

rstra
Grand Master

@shanE_ The hidden SSIDs are for the wireless BlueCurve TV boxes, even thought you aren’t a TV subscriber, I don’t think there is a way to disable those broadcasts. You can’t use that modem with your plan, or any plan as Shaw does not support the use of owned modems, even though that model is compatible with their internet.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Someone gets it... thats sad.. but thank you..

shanE_
Grasshopper

Someone gets it... thats sad.. but thank you..

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- there is an older post to this discussion forum: https...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@shanE_ -- there is an older post to this discussion forum:

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-discussions/disable-hidden-ssid-broadcasts/td-p/288/page/4

@langley834721 

‎2020-06-19 07:58 AM 

My XB6 is broadcasting five (5) hidden SSID's in bridged mode (2x 5 GHz and 3x 2.4 GHz).
It is not supposed to. It is supposed to be a Modem only releasing IP's to my router and nothing more....
The only way I could make Shaw turn off this broadcast was by chatting with them, [and]
Shaw putting the Modem in bridge mode on their end. That stopped the broadcast.

Interesting that Shaw could disable the SSIDs.

That same forum mentioned wrapping the cable-modem in tin-foil, to achieve a minus-70-decibel reading.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help