On behalf of the League of Legend - Alberta, Thank you.

king-azar
Grasshopper

Hello Shaw Team,

This is simply to say thank you on behalf of the League of Legend community in Alberta which I am not sure if the other province did see this change but let's get back to years ago. 

When Riot decided to implement their new LoL server in Chicago, our ping went from 40ms to 65ms. Multiple discussions have been opened with your team in regard to this issue which did not find success in terms of resolution. The only one way to correct this ping issue was to use a third-party program such as Pingzapper, WTFast, Outfox, etc. which will bring back our ping close to 40 ms, unfortunately, we have to pay a subscription to maintain the functionality of these softwares. 

During this week we have noticed that our ping is now around 45 ms without using any third-party program which is a gain of 20 ms and we can surely feel the difference. 

I am not too sure what you have done Shaw but thank you for doing this! Kudos to you and well done.

well done.jpg

Labels (2)
6 Replies

glad to hear of the improvements, I'll be passing your ku...

shaw-tony

@king-azar glad to hear of the improvements, I'll be passing your kudos to our network engineering team 😁

0 Kudos

Hi Tony, On behalf of the League of Legend community in A...

king-azar
Grasshopper

Hi Tony,

On behalf of the League of Legend community in Alberta.... We are back to square one 😞

Did you guys made some change recently? 

We are back to the 60+ ms and sometimes it's piking to 80 to 90+

Cheers,

0 Kudos

> When Riot decided to implement their new LoL server in...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> When Riot decided to implement their new LoL server in Chicago, our ping went from 40ms to 65ms.

What is the hostname (or its IP-address) of that server?

In Microsoft Windows, there is the "tracert" command-line utility that can be used to trace the route of IP-packets to that destination, and it gives the timing at each router.

> 5 hours ago

That is about 03:30 Pacific -- within the time-window where Shaw often does network maintenance

Now that the sun is up, is it any better?

0 Kudos

The IP of the NA Server - League of Legend is 104.160.131...

king-azar
Grasshopper

The IP of the NA Server - League of Legend is 104.160.131.3

At the moment, the ping is fluctuating between 65-95 which I am pretty sure we got packet loss etc.

2020-04-13 14_22_56-Untitled-1 @ 100% (Layer 2, RGB_8#) _.png

We are suspecting that the network routing to the server might change again from Shaw to Riot Game server (Chicago) so we decide to use a third party software who can correct the routing. We did try ExitLag, WTFast, Outfox and PingZapper. 

2020-04-13 14_29_15-ExitLag.png

Once the routing is applied, we got the initial result of 45-49 ms in game which is way better and you can feel the difference but the issue is we have to pay monthly subscription for these software.

2020-04-13 14_56_32-Untitled-1 @ 100% (Layer 4, RGB_8#) _.png 

0 Kudos

I haven't heard of any changes made and there aren't repo...

shaw-tony

@king-azar I haven't heard of any changes made and there aren't reports of any issues relating to this. Do you notice normalized ping to other servers (Google.ca, Youtube.com, etc) or do they show similar slower routes/ping? Have you tried any troubleshooting steps? Also, can you link me to that Community thread?

0 Kudos

-- here is a current "trace-route" from Shaw in BC into W...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@king-azar -- here is a current "trace-route" from Shaw in BC into Washington State, and then to that game-server:

Tracing route to 104.160.131.3 over a maximum of 30 hops

4      9 ms      9 ms    10 ms  rd1lp-be1.gv.shawcable.net [66.163.72.22]
  5    14 ms    13 ms    13 ms  rc1wt-be40.wa.shawcable.net [66.163.68.18]
  6    12 ms    16 ms    11 ms  six.riotgames.com [206.81.81.42]
  7    11 ms    10 ms    10 ms  104.160.129.35
  8    54 ms    54 ms    51 ms  104.160.131.3

Trace complete.

-----------------

The "lag" seems to be between hop #7 and hop #8 within RIOT's range of IP-addresses.

Could it be that their server is overloaded?  Too many simultaneous gamers, self-isolating at home during the current pandemic?

---------

Net Range104.160.128.0 - 104.160.159.255

NameRIOT

Net TypeDirect Assignment

OrganizationRiot Games, Inc (RG-16)
Registration Date2014-08-22

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help