Routing Issue between Shaw Communication x Valorant x League of Legend

king-azar
Grasshopper

I think this needs to come to an end! It's affecting our experience, we are paying for something, we spend time on the phone to get nowhere. This needs to stop! 

Routing Issue on Valorant x Shaw Communication - Imgur.png

Type of  Issue: Routing issue to Oregon or Chicago and other servers from time to time every year. All Riot Games are affected such as Valorant, League of Legends, etc.

Description: In the above screenshot, we are 5 friends who usually play together, our main server is located in Oregon (Portland) because it's the closest server and it's the one we have the best ping. 3 of us are located in Alberta, the people from Calgary will usually have 30-33ms and the players from Edmonton will usually have 35-40ms. There is another person in the group located in BC Vancouver and his ping was supposed to be 20-25ms

Steps to reproduce: Not sure but we noticed that this is happening for a couple of months then come back to normal then back to square one again! 

Expected result: Ping to Oregon should be around 30ms, ping to Chicago should be around 45ms. Here is a reminder that we did deal with this type of issue in the past and someone did something: On behalf of the League of Legend - Alberta, Thank... - Shaw Support

Observed result: High ping for everybody that uses Shaw Communication as ISP and also we are unable to create traceroute since we do not have information on the servers. This issue has been reported to Riot but it seems like there is nothing that changed on their ends and we are a bunch of people who complain about this on their support/community. The other players that use the ISP Telus, are not affected by the issue and their pings are even lower!!!

System specs: 5950x, RTX3090, 32GB, Shaw 1GB Fiber

Other: Speed-wise everything is fine, 900mbps download and 125mbps upload but the routing is not efficient and our gaming experience takes a massive hit. 

7 Replies

Same issue on Halo Infinite. Used to get 40-55ms to Washi...

exid
Grasshopper

Same issue on Halo Infinite. Used to get 40-55ms to Washington/Seattle in game, lately it's averaging 80-110.

0 Kudos

Any game server located in Seattle WA should hit the 30ms...

king-azar
Grasshopper

Any game server located in Seattle WA should hit the 30ms from the west-side region. 40-55ms sound like your connection travels a bit more, a few more hops during the connection travel? However, 80-110 is unacceptable! 

0 Kudos

What do we know? Today, we were a bunch of competitive ga...

king-azar
Grasshopper

asnconnect-header.png

What do we know?

Today, we were a bunch of competitive gamers located in Alberta and BC in an online meeting with a Network Engineer that works for X that gave us some education to explain this situation, and from what we understand, the best platform at the moment for gaming is Telus! Even users that still using copper connection over Fiber with Telus will still have way better ping than Shaw users.
Of course, both ISPs advertise great download speed (better upload for Telus due is the user have Fiber) for fast internet usage but that doesn't do everything since game use way less bandwidth to perform. The most important is the quality of how the connection is traveling from the user's home to the game server location. 

What's the difference between Telus and Shaw for gaming? 
It's very simple, Telus did communicate that they care about gamers, and with their Telus Esport Series, the company did invest more into PEERING BGP to ensure that connections between multiple different networks have fewer HOPS, making it more directly to the destination, shorter travel, and result to LOWER PING. Telus has access to multiple network borders to enhance the path to the rest of North America and others. On the other end, Shaw did not invest that much into the PEERING BGP, in fact, their connection to westbound will go first to Vancouver and eastbound to Montreal which will worsen the connection travel before reaching a specific destination and will impact the gaming experience and every millisecond matters!

Example: 
If we take the game, League of Legends which the server is located in Chicago IL, technically the ping should be around 35-40ms from Calgary, but since the connection has to travel to Montreal (55ms) first which is farther than the main destination, then will travel back to Chicago via a multi-different path, the ping will get higher as result and at the moment we are close to the 80ms. It doubles.
It is the same for Valorant, for those who use Oregon for example, the connection has to go to Vancouver (35ms) first then will take multi-different paths before landing in Oregon PL and will add up an additional 10 to 15ms.

Conclusion:
This has been a great education and I think it's worth sharing, we have seen multiple people on Reddit complaining about this and they should know. I do also understand when we call the Tier1 Support and they are totally lost when we explain this issue and why this gets to frustration since they don't know what do to since they are not aware. At the end of the day, it is sad to see that Shaw did not invest in quality and we know that most people play games online. This is also concerning because it's the way to lose customers especially if they are gamers. I do not have control over this but I hope this topic gives some light to this company.

0 Kudos

i dont see the problem. your ping to U.S. west is trash,...

msantore22
Grasshopper

i dont see the problem. your ping to U.S. west is trash, but your ping to U.S. central is almost as good as fiber.

just connect your game to U.S. central and your gaming experience is unaltered.

Shaw's ping to U.S. central is very competitive to fiber ping.  trust me. i've run extensive tests. i'd rather have 48ms in overwatch and call of duty. than the 60-80ms i had before the change.

when i played overwatch and call of duty i consistently had 60-80ms. it was never that low. im actually happy they changed the routes. i have 0 issues playing on a central server if it gives me a more competitive advantage.

0 Kudos

Ping is back but lots of packet lost and jitter at rc3no-...

king-azar
Grasshopper

Ping is back but lots of packet lost and jitter at rc3no-be214.cg.shawcable.net | rc2wt-be100.wa.shawcable.net | rc1wt-be18-1.wa.shawcable.net - Tried to explained this to tier1 support but it's a game lost. Moving to Telus ping to Oregon Val 18ms! 

0 Kudos

-- It is the same for Valorant, for those who use Oregon...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@king-azar -- It is the same for Valorant, for those who use Oregon for example, the connection has to go to Vancouver (35ms) first then will take multi-different paths before landing in Oregon PL and will add up an additional 10 to 15ms.

Yes, Shaw's connection from Vancouver to any "western USA" IP-address will "hop" to a server in Washington State -- the geographically-closest place for a cross-border connection. 

Yes, going through several "hops" controlled by USA-based Internet Service Providers will add some time. Until Shaw/Rogers buys one of those American companies, which is not likely, there is nothing that Shaw can do to modify those "hops" inside the USA.

It's likely that Telus/Bell has relatively the same topology -- from the Packet Interchange in downtown Vancouver (Harbour Centre) across the 49th parallel, to some USA-based networks, and the same dependence on the speed of those "hops" inside Washington State.

Hint:

1. restart your computer, and do not connect to some game-server.
  2. open a command-line prompt, and enter:  netstat -a -n | find "EST" > trace1.txt
  3. connect to some game-server, and enter: netstat -a -n | find "EST" > trace2.txt
  4. compare the two traces, to see which "ESTABLISHED" connections have been added

One (or more) of those "new" connections will be the IP-address of that game-server, so that you can use the TRACERT command to show the "hops" between your computer and the game-server.  Post the output from that "trace-route" command.

0 Kudos

-- Shaw has at least one more cross-border connection tha...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@king-azar -- Shaw has at least one more cross-border connection that you did not mention, viz:

Tracing route to www.loyola.edu [144.126.4.114]

4   8 ms 11 ms 10 ms rd1lp-be1.gv.shawcable.net [66.163.72.22]
5 12 ms 11 ms 164 ms rc1wt-be40.wa.shawcable.net [66.163.68.18]
6 37 ms 32 ms 33 ms rc3so-be82.cg.shawcable.net [66.163.76.10]
7 85 ms 66 ms 63 ms rc4ec-be13.il.shawcable.net [66.163.65.18]
8         * 63 ms 64 ms mpr1.ord7.us [208.115.136.86]
9 92 ms * * ae8.cs4.ord2.us.zip.zayo.com [64.125.25.74]

namely Victoria -> Vancouver ("wa") to Calgary to Illinois (USA) to Minneapolis? Chicago (ORD airport) ? ....

Also, a few months ago, when Shaw's network between Edmonton and Calgary was out-of-service, Edmonton routed all the US-destination packets to Winnipeg, and then across the 49th parallel.  So, that is another cross-border link.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help