Shaw blue curve modem always disconnecting

Warvstar
Grasshopper

Hey our modem has been disconnecting randomly almost every day since we have been hooked up here.

We keep having techs come over just to say they don't know what the problem is, they guess that the neighborhood has a bad connection / cabling as it's an older area.

They have changed the modem and the splitter and still problems, now today they were supposed to change again but instead they replaced the neighbors modem on accident and now we have to wait another 5 days to get a tech out again just to do a useless job at fixing the problem.

Has anyone had this much trouble with Shaw before?

Labels (2)
49 Replies

Shaw should remotely be able to connect to your BlueCurve...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Shaw should remotely be able to connect to your BlueCurve device, to check signal-strength, and much more. And, to your neighbour's device, to compare the readings.

Do you have a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) between your AC wall-outlet and the BlueCurve, to provide "smoothed" power to it?

0 Kudos

Hey sorry I just noticed your message, I don't believe I...

Warvstar
Grasshopper

Hey sorry I just noticed your message, I don't believe I have one of those, there is a splitter booster thing on the main level and then a cable runs down stairs and into my modem.

Also as an update another tech came by and spent an hour or so looking for the main cable box outside, he left without even finding it as the connection became stable again.

Today the connection is down again and I have another tech coming out on Wednesday. 5th times a charm.

0 Kudos

checking your account, looks like you need a cable drop r...

shaw-tony

@Warvstar checking your account, looks like you need a cable drop replacement outside your home (which is causing the issues). I appreciate your patience while we get this fixed!

0 Kudos

Correct, one of the last techs mentioned that after I pos...

Warvstar
Grasshopper

Correct, one of the last techs mentioned that after I posed this but they have yet to do it even if I have signed the paper work for the drilling.

The second last tech that came around actually made it much worse, now I get no signal at all.

Can I at least get an eta on when this can happen? How long does this usually take?

Thanks

> ETA ... I have another tech coming out on Wednesday. 5t...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> ETA ... I have another tech coming out on Wednesday. 5th times a charm.

Tell us how it goes.

> another tech came by and spent an hour or so looking for the main cable box outside, he left without even finding it

It is difficult to believe that they could not trace the coaxial cable from the nearest telephone-pole to the demarcation box on the outside of your home. Unless you are in a newer community with all-underground wiring.

I think that there could be a maximum of only four wires:

* electrical power (thicker) usually connecting into a submarine-like "periscope"

* telephone (two pairs of copper)

* telephone (fibre-optic)

* Shaw (coaxial)

Yup and heads up the tech call in sick all the time too

Gerritnatte
Grasshopper

Yup and heads up the tech call in sick all the time too. Been waiting a week for ours to be fixed and they are a no show for their appointment. Now that i think about it they didnt show for hook up either.  

> the tech call in sick all the time too. > Been waiting...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> the tech call in sick all the time too.

> Been waiting a week for ours to be fixed and they are a no show for their appointment.

> Now that i think about it they didnt show for hook up either.  

Given the current "Corona-virus" world-wide epidemic, I would rather have the technician CANCEL the appointment, instead of bringing germs into my family's residence.

I feel sorry for the "no-show" technician(s).  Obviously, one or more of their other appointments on the same day took longer than scheduled. If the technician was not allowed by his employer to work "overtime", the appointment needed to be cancelled/rescheduled.  Or, if you booked a late-afternoon appointment, the technician had "family-obligations" -- needing to be home at the normal "quitting-time", to take care of children.

This last tech couldn't find the main line, and assumes i...

Warvstar
Grasshopper

This last tech couldn't find the main line, and assumes it's under the deck. I offered to go under the deck but apparently he wants the boards removed. That's fair, but having 8 techs come out just to give this information is not good. If the first or second guy told me this I could have removed the boards already. Also he didn't even look at or care about the form Shaw wanted me to fill out to drill holes.

Anyway as much as I dislike Telus, I had to get internet and I have no idea how many techs I'd need to come by after removing the board, so I just switched over.

Another thing I noticed is the techs come by and say, wow you had 4 techs out here in the last few weeks? And I have to tell them the numbers much higher, so it looks like some techs are not even reporting their visits?

If Telus wasn't offering to buy out my contract, I'd definitely goto small claims, as I would not pay with my own money just to cancel this.

Yes I've had this happen already, and they wanted me to w...

Warvstar
Grasshopper

Yes I've had this happen already, and they wanted me to wait until 8pm and if no one calls me back then I had to call them in the morning.

I got pretty pissed off and just told them I'm not calling again and just make sure a tech visits ASAP, the last time I called Shaw for a callback they never even called me back anyway, although that could have been something to do with a rockslide in bc that the chat support guy mentioned.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help