Spam

LeslieF
Grasshopper

Is anyone else getting a lot of spam these days?  I'm getting spam emails on all of my Shaw accounts.  Shaw used to be good about catching these.  What's up, Shaw?

Labels (1)
4 Replies

Yes, they have been good for a while, but in the last few...

joman
Grasshopper

Yes, they have been good for a while, but in the last few days I have been slammed with SPAM under all Shaw email accounts.

spam.PNGspam2.PNGspam3.PNG

0 Kudos

same here, lots over the last few days,

rstra
Grand Master

@joman same here, lots over the last few days,

0 Kudos

-- there are a few previous threads on this discussion fo...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@LeslieF -- there are a few previous threads on this discussion forum. Examples:

1. https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-discussions/did-shaw-stop-filtering-the-shaw-ca-emails-for-junkm...
  2. https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-discussions/what-s-the-spam-plan-shaw/m-p/34971

For me, the "body" of the spam messages that I have recently received have 4 hyperlinks, and only 3 characters of "text". Two of the hyperlinks are to images -- which Shaw does not use OCR (Optical Character Recognition) to convert to words that could be identified as "spammy", and the other two hyperlinks are to web-pages that redirect to another web-page that redirects to the spammer's web-page.

So, how does anybody (including Shaw) analyze the "words", when there are none?

The spammers seem to be routing through AMAZON ECS (Elastic Cloud Servers).  It would not be wise to block the IP-addresses of those servers.

In total, these "tricks" by the spammers make it difficult to do any filtering.

P.S. Today, my mobile-phone received a text-message, allegedly from "ROGER COMMUNICATIONS INC", promising me a $70 refund due to the Rogers outage on April 16. Clicking the hyperlink directed me to a web-server in SPAIN, and fake web-pages for over 10 banks, trying to get me to choose my bank, and then enter my online-banking ID & password. Scam! I am not a Rogers Wireless customer.

0 Kudos

I am getting anywhere from 3 to 10 a day as well, extreme...

garryerfle
Grasshopper

I am getting anywhere from 3 to 10 a day as well, extremely annoying. Just started a week or two ago.

Hope they can resolve this soon.

TALK TO US
We're here to help