Jump to solution

Speeds are SIGNIFICANTLY slower than what im paying for!

scypheroth
Grasshopper

Been noting horrible internet speeds...im paying for 600down and im getting a CONSISTENT 150 down on BOTH my PC's running CAT6 cables and a literally 3 month old motherboard with latest firmware/drivers. Whats going on...should i just get rid of my 600 since im not even getting it and go down to 200? Why should i pay for something im not using!? Is it the bluesky modem limitations? im confused and a little angry to be honest. It should NOT take me 1.5hrs to download a game! This isnt the 90's

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

ok so they did a remote service with a tech from shaw. we...

scypheroth
Grasshopper

ok so they did a remote service with a tech from shaw. we went through EVERYTHING and checked over everything even took the cable out of the wall socket! EVERYTHING is good on my end EVERYTHING. The tech could not find a single thing wrong and basically told me there is nothing they can do until covid-19 is over. 

SO as of today i am now Shaw free...i canceled my sub and switched to a diffrent provider and now im getting well over my paid for speeds...this PROVES IT without a shadow of a doubt that Shaw is throttling speeds admid covid-19, i understand why because of the huge amount of ppl now online...but that i sno excuse. I think its time to upgrade there network from cable to fiber like the provided i am now using has done over the last 4 years....

Good bye shaw...

View solution in original post

100 Replies
Jump to solution

also contacted support via the web n was very rudely spok...

scypheroth
Grasshopper

also contacted support via the web n was very rudely spoken to by someone over at shaw. said its a issue with MY hardware not them and offered no help to look into it at all. i know its 110% NOT on my end as i tested 3 hardwired pc's 2 laptops and 4 cellphones ALL with NO WHERE NEAR advertised speeds. all pc's got a CONSISTENT 150mbs down and cellphones 250 down laptop 150 down....that rules out any SINGLE pc hardware issue and is clearly a issue with the modem or network. Or am i being throttled by shaw?

Jump to solution

> all pc's got a CONSISTENT 150mbs down, and cellphones 2...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> all pc's got a CONSISTENT 150mbs down, and cellphones 250 down, laptop 150 down. Am i being throttled by shaw? ... said it's a issue with MY hardware.

The maximum download speeds for the WiFi devices -- your cell-phones -- depend on the WiFi adapter inside the device. If you are paying for "Internet 300" or "Internet 600", then you probably are getting that speed "into" the cable-modem, and the WiFi adapters are limiting the connection to 250 Mbps.

Read the faint text printed on your Ethernet cables. If they are labelled "CAT-5", they are certified only up to 100 Mbps, but may perform better, such as 150 Mbps. You should be using either "CAT-5e" cables -- certified up to 1000 Mbps -- or "CAT-6" cables -- much faster than 1000 Mbps.

Change the Ethernet cable, and rerun the Shaw SpeedTest, and tell us the results.

Rude or not, the employee could have been correct. A few Shaw employees are voluntarily present in this forum, and may possibly be able to access your account, to identify the Shaw employee to whom you talked.

Jump to solution

i am currently running CAT 6. But ill swap it out for ano...

scypheroth
Grasshopper

i am currently running CAT 6. But ill swap it out for another CAT 6 and CAT 5 and retest.
DONE
Swapped out my CAT 6 for another CAT 6 and same thing 150 down 20 up swappeed it out for CAT 5 and same results 150down 20 up.

the test is strange also...when it start is JUMPS to my correct speed of 600 down then goes down to 150...

Jump to solution

i have restarted multiple times, i even reset it back to...

scypheroth
Grasshopper

i have restarted multiple times, i even reset it back to default settings (my shaw modem) i do not have any switches or routers just this lil black box shaw gave me wich is what i think the issue is

Jump to solution

still sitting at 150 down after cable swap and factory re...

scypheroth
Grasshopper

still sitting at 150 down after cable swap and factory reset of router. Its obvious my speed is being throttled by Shaw themselves. Going to call tomorrow to get my plan switched since i have no need to pay for a speed i cant use.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Hey scypheroth, (sweet tag by the way) I currently have I...

SP3CTRYS
Grasshopper

Hey scypheroth, (sweet tag by the way)

I currently have Internet 300 with the BlueCurve modem. I have a short patch cord (the one that came with the modem) to my desktop and Steam indicates that I get download speeds of up to 40MBps (320Mbps). The only thing I did was give my desktop a static IP through the modem settings. And I also only ever have 4 devices using the internet at once, and only 1 hardwired in.

The BlueCurve modem does take a few days to "Train" so it can assess your needs and make adjustments. Although I only think this applies to the wifi. Some random troubleshooting that I assume you already did, try the other Ethernet port on the modem?

It is great you got the latest motherboard drivers, but did you also get the latest network drivers? Does the motherboard have built-in wifi you can try to see if you get higher speeds (than 150Mbps)?

I am also assuming because most new PC motherboards I have seen have this, your ethernet port is 10/100/1000 and not just 10/100?

Again, I assume you tried all these things because you seem very knowledgable, just trying to offer my 2 cents 🙂

Jump to solution

> cellphones 250 down > am i being throttled by shaw? It...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> cellphones 250 down

> am i being throttled by shaw?

It is weird that you are getting 250 mbps over WiFi but only 150 mbps via Ethernet. I think that 250 mbps is a limitation of the WiFi adapter's protocol (G? N? AC?).

Perhaps, contact Shaw, and get them to "refresh" the settings in your modem, to be sure that it is configured for "Internet 600". Shaw can remotely login to their cable-modem, to check its settings, and to check other diagnostics, e.g., "signal-strength".

Also, have you tried a different coaxial cable between your wall-outlet and the cable-modem?  Reseated and tightened its connectors?

Before launching the Shaw SpeedTest, launch the Windows "Task Manager", and switch to the "Performance" tab, and click to select the "Ethernet" tab. Minimize it, launch the SpeedTest, and immediately switch back to that "Ethernet" display, to see the instantaneous speed of the download, not the "averaged" graph that the SpeedTest displays.

Jump to solution

Slow internet

cwinkel
Grasshopper

I spoke with some IT folks and they told me to check my network adapter speed.  I looked in the control panel and mine is a 10/100 Mbps which mean at the best of times I might be getting at most 100 Mbps even though I'm paying for 300 Mbps.

I would need to upgrade my network adapter to a 1000Mbps to get the 300 that is being advertised.  Same will be for you.

Jump to solution

There is clearly something wrong with your setup. I would...

rickatk
Master

@scypheroth wrote:

Been noting horrible internet speeds...im paying for 600down and im getting a CONSISTENT 150 down on BOTH my PC's running CAT6 cables and a literally 3 month old motherboard with latest firmware/drivers. Whats going on...should i just get rid of my 600 since im not even getting it and go down to 200? Why should i pay for something im not using!? Is it the bluesky modem limitations? im confused and a little angry to be honest. It should NOT take me 1.5hrs to download a game! This isnt the 90's

There is clearly something wrong with your setup. I would check in with Shaw again. Confirm that they have you set up for the 600Mbps plan. That often gets overlooked during activation.

Get them to also check your modem to make sure it is working correctly. Also check your wifi performance. You may actually get better performance which then might point you in the right direction. You may require a service call. They can check your outside connections. 

I have a 600 Mbps service. I get 640 down and 20 up over wifi on my iMac, slower but acceptable speeds on my iPad pro and older iPhone, again over wifi. Don't give up. This stuff can be fussy but with a little troubleshooting you will be happy.

TALK TO US
We're here to help