Jump to solution

I should also mention that they upgraded me to the XB7 mo...

BvrHunter
Grasshopper

I should also mention that they upgraded me to the XB7 modem and all it did was make a more stable connection. speeds didn't change at all. The tech also changed my gateway password. I am unable to get into my gateway to check the settings.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

try factory rest by pressing on the hole in the back, did...

cpmrich36
Grasshopper

try factory rest by pressing on the hole in the back, did it help

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

unfortunately the XB7 does not have a pinhole. You have t...

BvrHunter
Grasshopper

unfortunately the XB7 does not have a pinhole. You have to hold the button on the back for about 30 seconds to reset to factory state.

That did not do anything. Actually decreased my speeds even more.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- That did not do anything. Actually decreased my speeds...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@BvrHunter -- That did not do anything. Actually decreased my speeds even more.

Try disconnecting the power-cord from the cable-modem, waiting a few seconds, and then reconnecting the cord, and waiting for it to reboot, including downloading the configuration to set your modem to the speeds in your Shaw contract.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- be sure that your laptop is running on AC power, not b...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@tim65 -- be sure that your laptop is running on AC power, not battery power, when running the Speed Tests, because some laptops slow down when using the battery, to extend the time before you need to recharge it.

Note that "USB-3-to-Ethernet" adapters are available through BestBuy.Some of them are USB-2, and some max-out at 100 Mbits/second.

Be careful with your units: "MB" is megabytes per second, while "Mb" is megabits per second -- 1/8 of the speed.

Got a friend with a laptop and an Ethernet cable, who will connect their laptop, via Ethernet, to your cable-modem, and run a Speed Test?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Yes laptop and desktop both get gigabit speeds at a frien...

BvrHunter
Grasshopper

Yes laptop and desktop both get gigabit speeds at a friends place on ethernet. Laptop get 500 ish on WiFi at same place. The ethernet cards in question are what are on the mobo's of the devices. The tech was trying to state that both of my mobo on my laptop and desktop crapped out at the same time, but yet I've proven that they are still working fine at a friends place.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

i think the tech wanted yiou to buy out of pocket for a n...

cpmrich36
Grasshopper

i think the tech wanted yiou to buy out of pocket for a new ac ax router for more money, thst how crappy shaw has become, if it works at your friends place, he probable got telus fiber.  sorry shaw been crappy from what i read on jere and rogers are buying out shaw too, you knew bout that?  

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

friends place is Shaw gigabit with the XB6 modem. about 5...

BvrHunter
Grasshopper

friends place is Shaw gigabit with the XB6 modem. about 5 km from my place.

As for Rogers, maybe they'll straighten out Shaws connection issues.

Rogers mobile has always been good to me, always get credit for outages and they have a loyalty program for long term customers.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Well my desktop ethernet port pooched itself on this week...

BvrHunter
Grasshopper

Well my desktop ethernet port pooched itself on this weekend. So now I have to buy an additional gigabit ethernet adapter. Unfortunately no one locally has any in stock. Have to wait for delivery from Amazon for that.. 
I had a tech come by yesterday, he replaced the XB7 modem again and it resolved the speed issue on my laptop (MSI TITAN X) Ethernet speeds are now 700+. WiFi speeds 400+.

Desktop current speeds 85-200 ish and jerky as all hell. Hopefully new ethernet card will resolve the issues.

If not $1800 upgrade is in the works. 😞

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

OKay so an update:  New motherboard, same slow speeds. I'...

BvrHunter
Grasshopper

OKay so an update:

New motherboard, same slow speeds. I'm at a loss as to what to do now?!?!

Okay so I installed a new motherboard and i'm still only getting like 400-500Mbps down speeds and my up speeds are 70Mbps +.

So it's not my hardware causing the issue.

Searching on the net alot of people are stating it's a windows issue.
But since I installed a new motherboard, wouldn't I have to buy Windows 10 again to reinstall from scratch???
My nic shows 1000Mbps connection, my gateway/modem shows 1000Mbps connection (XB7), but the ethernet port is flashing orange on data activity. Should be flashing green for gigabit.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help