Jump to solution

Unifi Gateway console and access points with Gateway XB7 and wireless TV. Help!

andy_black
Grasshopper
Just had to upgrade the new wireless tv units and a Gateway XB7. I was told the gateway could be bridged on the call repeatedly, and then started looking online......

So, my current Shaw router is bridged, connected to a Unifi Gatweay Console and PoE switch and then two seperate access points around the house (wired through the walls) as had some dead points before. This set up is bulletproof

It appears if I get the XB7 switched to Brige, then I cant use the wireless TV units. Can anyone confirm?

Assuming I can't bridge, is there a way to connect to the Unifi, or somehow just use the Unifi Access Points? (They are wired through the walls, back to the modem, so do have hard connections for both).

I've read a couple of posts where you can use the Ethernet port on the back of the XB7. Would that work?

Spent a fair old bit on a bullet proof Unifi system which has never failed in 3years.

Many thanks

Andy
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

-- I also have a Cat 6 in the wall, going to our lounge,...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@andy_black -- I also have a Cat 6 in the wall, going to our lounge, so I assume can hard wire on the XB7 to the 4k wireless TV (this cable is currently connected to the Unifi Router which I would bin).

First, try using your current connections, before changing anything, such as "retiring" the UNIFI router. Expressed differently, remove your current (bridged) cable-modem, and connect the (unbridged) XB7 in its place, connecting to the UNIFI, and then use your existing cables.

View solution in original post

Jump to solution

Update:  So no need to Bridge at all as others advised. C...

andy_black
Grasshopper

Update:  So no need to Bridge at all as others advised. Connect the PoE switch panel to one of the Ethernet Ports on the back of the Gateway - I did the higher speed Ethernet port with the red line. I then reconnected the Unifi AP ports to the Unifi switch and hey presto. It retains the original AP SSIDs, or you can reassign.

Comparing my laptop next to my Gateway and then an AP its a very small drop in download. 990 vs 890.  (Unifi router is not required)

Thanks all.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jump to solution

-- ...you can use the Ethernet port on the back of the XB...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@andy_black -- ...you can use the Ethernet port on the back of the XB7. Would that work?

My XB7 has 4 Ethernet sockets, and I have not "bridged" it.

One of the sockets supposedly supports up to 2500 Mbit/second, while the others max-out at 1000 Mbps.

What happens if you connect your UNIFI system to one of those sockets?

You'll get a "private" IP-address (something like 10.0.0.xxx) for the WAN port on the UNIFI, but that should not cause a problem, if the DHCP-server in your UNIFI hands-out "private" IP-addresses on a different subnet, such as "192.168.1.xxx".

Give it a try, before you consider "bridging".

Jump to solution

Awesome, thanks for the info. Just recieved the units tod...

andy_black
Grasshopper

Awesome, thanks for the info. Just recieved the units today, so will install and see.

I'm assuming I will have to connect the Unifi PoE gateway to the XB7 and then the Unifi Access points to the PoE.

I also have a Cat 6 in the wall, going to our lounge, so I assume can hard wire on the XB7 to the 4k wireless TV (this cable is currently connected to the Unifi Router which I would bin)

Thanks in advance. Fingers crossed 🙂

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- I also have a Cat 6 in the wall, going to our lounge,...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@andy_black -- I also have a Cat 6 in the wall, going to our lounge, so I assume can hard wire on the XB7 to the 4k wireless TV (this cable is currently connected to the Unifi Router which I would bin).

First, try using your current connections, before changing anything, such as "retiring" the UNIFI router. Expressed differently, remove your current (bridged) cable-modem, and connect the (unbridged) XB7 in its place, connecting to the UNIFI, and then use your existing cables.

Jump to solution

Update:  So no need to Bridge at all as others advised. C...

andy_black
Grasshopper

Update:  So no need to Bridge at all as others advised. Connect the PoE switch panel to one of the Ethernet Ports on the back of the Gateway - I did the higher speed Ethernet port with the red line. I then reconnected the Unifi AP ports to the Unifi switch and hey presto. It retains the original AP SSIDs, or you can reassign.

Comparing my laptop next to my Gateway and then an AP its a very small drop in download. 990 vs 890.  (Unifi router is not required)

Thanks all.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Andy, are you still getting the 900 throughput?  I have t...

TerryR
Grasshopper

Andy, are you still getting the 900 throughput?  I have the XB7 with a Ubiquiti US8-60 switch, plugged into port 1 of the XB7.  On day one, Fast.com showed a throughput of 900+.  Now I am only getting a 90MB throughput.  Either Shaw is port limiting or something else is going on.  Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- Either Shaw is port limiting or something else is goin...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@TerryR -- Either Shaw is port limiting or something else is going on. Any suggestions?

1. Shaw configures every cable-modem to speed-limit your download speed to the level that you are paying for.

2. Ask Shaw to "reprovision" the cable-modem, to download the correct rate-limits.

3. Do you have more than one Ethernet-connected computer to run the Shaw Speed Test?

4. Older/slower computers cannot run the Shaw Speed Test at its full speed. But, if you previously got the speed you are paying for, your computer is fast-enough.

5. Can you power-off the cable-modem, by removing the power-cord, and then reconnect it, to force the cable-modem to do a "fresh" download from Shaw ?

6. Try a different Ethernet cable between your computer and the cable-modem.

7. Check that the coaxial-cable between the cable-modem and the wall-outlet is tightly connected.

8. Check that your domestic pet has not been chewing on any cable.  🙂

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help