Usage of ShawPasspoint for Android

mbir
Grasshopper

I was wondering if there is any planned updates relating to the use of ShawPasspoint relating to support for Android as the article still points at support only for iOS

About the ShawPasspoint SSID 

Based on the details of the article, it would appear to be the setup of the profile but surprised there are not options after all this time.  Either some type of instructions or even using the Android App.  Based on the addition of Shaw Mobile, I see the option does exist:

How To: Connect to Shaw Go WiFi as a Shaw Mobile Customer

Just wanted to confirm if an option is forthcoming at least for the Android phones supported in the above article.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

-- This is a user-to-user discussion forum, not an offici...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@mbir -- This is a user-to-user discussion forum, not an official path to contact Shaw.

While reading this, scroll-down to see:

Capture.JPG

Click on that "Your Voice" hyperlink to submit your suggestion to Shaw.

0 Kudos

I haven't heard of any updates on this yet. As per our FA...

shaw-tony

@mbir I haven't heard of any updates on this yet. As per our FAQWhen can use my Android device on 'ShawPasspoint'?
While Android has supported Hotspot 2.0 for many years, without online registration, Hotspot 2.0 setup on an Android is not yet as straightforward as it is for iOS devices. At this time, Hotspot 2.0 is limited to iOS devices. We are continuously working to further support Hotspot 2.0 and ‘ShawPasspoint’ on new devices.

The automatic passpoint for Shaw Mobile customer's are slightly different.

0 Kudos

Thanks   I understand that the setup could be different c...

mbir
Grasshopper

Thanks @shaw-tony 

I understand that the setup could be different compared to Shaw Mobile usage but figured it would be possible.  (Especially as things have evolved over time.)  As am example, given how Shaw has licensed Xfinity technology that maybe the Xfinity android app that setups the profile might be used.

Seeing that HotSpot 2.0 is more secure and the interest in security, I was trying to understand if there are any updates as the FAQ has not been updated for awhile and things have definitely changed since that document was first created.

0 Kudos

It does appear that Android has supported web-based Hotsp...

ColtonW24
Grasshopper

It does appear that Android has supported web-based Hotspot 2.0 provisioning since Android 6.0 which was released in 2015. “Android has supported Passpoint R1 since Android 6.0, allowing the provisioning of Passpoint R1 (release 1) credentials through web-based downloading of a special file that contains profile and credential information. The client automatically launches a special installer for the Wi-Fi information and allows the user to view parts of the information before accepting or declining the content.” - https://source.android.com/devices/tech/connect/wifi-passpoint

I will play devil's advocate for a moment here though. It is more difficult to implement it on Android compared to iOS, as on Android there are many different device manufacturers that put their own software layer on top of Android which results in fragmentation. Due to this, the setup process for Hotspot 2.0 can be different for each different device. This presents challenges for Shaw as they would have to provide support for setting up Hotspot 2.0 for each different Android device manufacturer and constantly ensure that their support documentation is up to date. Shaw likely hasn’t implemented Hotspot 2.0 on Android as the effort that would be required to provide support for Hotspot 2.0 on a wide variety of Android devices outweighs the benefits of providing the Hotspot 2.0 feature.

Personally, although I am not an Android user, it would great if Shaw supported Hotspot 2.0 for Android devices. But I understand why there aren’t jumping to release the feature, due to the reasons I mentioned above.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help