VPN Issues with BlueCurve Gateway modem

tschafer
Grasshopper

Anyone else having issues with their BlueCurve Gateway modem not connecting to VPN's. I recently upgraded from the advanced high speed modem to the new BlueCurve Gateway modem and now I cannot access any of my VPN's when I work from home. Keep getting the Error 806. I have contacted SHAW support and it's a complete waste of time. After talking to one guy for 20mins he asks me if I reset the modem! Really?? Anyone else having the same issue? I have no VPN issues connecting to SHAW go Wi-Fi or my network at my work office. If I cannot get this working I will need to switch back to the older style modem or switch to SaskTel. I need to connect to my clients VPN's from home. I don't want to go out and buy an expensive router either and try to bridge it. Any help would be appreciated! I added a pic of my error that I keep getting.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
42 Replies

From Speaking with my VPN provider, it seems Shaw are usi...

FuriousCustomer
Grasshopper

From Speaking with my VPN provider, it seems Shaw are using DNS hijacking to return VPN server requests back through Shaw servers. I factory reset the modem and VPN worked for about 4 hrs before they pushed through another firmware update and shut it back down. I am absolutely furious. Have been on the phone for the last hour and the tech is telling me they "Don't do DNS stuff" It seems the only way to get around this is to use BlueCurve in Bridge mode, and buy a 3rd party router. So you still have to rent their useless modem because you can'd connect directly to Shaw. Unacceptable treatment of their customers.

VPN setup is not something we support with consumer accou...

shaw-tony

@FuriousCustomer VPN setup is not something we support with consumer accounts. If you are running a VPN for business purposes, I'd recommend touching base with our Business team to better support your needs. 

0 Kudos

> VPN worked for about 4 hrs before they pushed through a...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> VPN worked for about 4 hrs before they pushed through another firmware update.

My guess is that it was not a "firmware" update. Rather, it was a DHCP-request from the Shaw router that returned many things:

1. an IP-address (on the Shaw network) for the router to use for a while;
  2. the "network-mask" (to define which IP-addresses are on your local network (compare to you in your house talking face-to-face -- without any "hardware" -- to somebody inside your house, compared to upi needing to use a "gateway" (e.g., telephone, FaceTime, Skype) to talk to somebody NOT inside your house);
  3. the IP-address of that "gateway" computer from your local network to the Internet;
  4. the number of minutes that you are allowed to use the IP-address in #1, above -- the duration of the "lease";
  5. IP-address(es) for the DNS-servers that you should use to resolve a FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Names, e.g., 'www.ibm.com') to an IP-address.

Your router should use the value in #4 to send a "renew-my-DHCP-settings" when 50% of those minutes have elapsed.

I have a somewhat different problem with my new Shaw Blue...

adms6093
Grasshopper

I have a somewhat different problem with my new Shaw Blue Curve gateway,  I have two Mac computers running on it and recently one of them could not connect with my outgoing mail server.  the other could and both received mail okay,  When investigating this I used https://whatsmyip.org and was surprised to find they had different external ip addresses, one had, I believe the external ip of my Shaw router, while the other traced to a VPN site in the USA that I had never heard of.  I don't use any VPN.

I guess I'll have to spend time with a Shaw tech tomorrow.

0 Kudos

That seems like a problem with your Mac, not Shaw. Have y...

rstra
Grand Master

That seems like a problem with your Mac, not Shaw. Have you run antivirus?

0 Kudos

I'm having a problem connecting to my client VPN as well....

cjpurnel
Grasshopper

I'm having a problem connecting to my client VPN as well. Any tips on what to do? Only happened after the Blue Curve

0 Kudos

DNS proxy is utilized for Blue Curve Internet control fro...

matt
Grasshopper

DNS proxy is utilized for Blue Curve Internet control from the app. I utilize a couple of VPN clients without any issues. Is your VPN client forcing other DNS servers?

The VPN Passthrough is not happening. I am trying to VPN...

nomadsludge
Grasshopper

The VPN Passthrough is not happening. I am trying to VPN TO my works server. This should work regardless. This is not and should not be a business only "feature". This is why we always bridge the crap Shaw router/modems for our business customers. They do weird **bleep** like this. Go back to your regular stand alone modems and let people just deal with their own tech.

Do I understand correctly that Shaw is not allowing a rem...

Cowtown63
Grasshopper

Do I understand correctly that Shaw is not allowing a remote employee to use a VPN client to access his employer’s network infrastructure?

I recently upgraded my Shaw internet to BlueCurve 300.  Before this, my VPN client worked fine with no issues.

With the BlueCurve 300, I was able to work all day yesterday with my VPN client with no issues.  This morning the VPN client connects but I cannot navigate my employer’s network now will my applications like Cisco Jabber and Microsoft Outlook will not connect.

If I read your statement, you are saying that remote employees must have a Business Account in order to be able to work remotely?  All I am using is my laptop to access resources at my employer’s data centre.

Please comment.

TALK TO US
We're here to help