Jump to solution

Why does BlueCurve parental control block way more YouTube content?

jmediajar
Grasshopper

If I turn on parental controls in BlueCurve home app, it blocks/filters much more content then what is blocked by turning on “restricted mode” in YouTube settings. Why?

This article states that when turning on BlueCurve parental control, “restricted mode” will be turned on for YouTube. BlueCurve Home FAQ - Parental Controls 

However, if I compare what’s filtered by enabling “restricted mode” In YouTube settings alone with what’s filtered by BlueCurve parental controls, BlueCurve PC blocks almost everything, almost all of my subscription content. So, it appears the “third party” mechanism Shaw is using is overriding YouTube’s definition of “restricted mode” and replacing it with its own definition. Is there a way to remedy this?  Is there a way to instruct to use the default definition of YouTube “restricted mode”?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Re: Why does BlueCurve parental control block way more YouTube content?

corbin
Shaw Squad

Nope.

What criteria does the Parental Controls feature for BlueCurve Home use to determine if content is appropriate to access?
Shaw has engaged a third-party vendor who maintains a database that maps online content to a set of over 400 categories such as social media, automotive, gambling, violence, adult content, etc. Based on industry standards, best practices and experience, our vendor has recommended which categories are generally deemed appropriate for all ages. Content deemed as appropriate generally does not include profanity, sexual content, violence, child abuse, software piracy, copyright theft, malware, spyware, depictions of alcohol, tobacco, weapons, gambling or drug use.

Content mapping is updated regularly by the vendor to help ensure a comprehensive list is maintained.

The youtube mode seems like an "also, this will be turned on".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jump to solution

corbin
Shaw Squad

Nope.

What criteria does the Parental Controls feature for BlueCurve Home use to determine if content is appropriate to access?
Shaw has engaged a third-party vendor who maintains a database that maps online content to a set of over 400 categories such as social media, automotive, gambling, violence, adult content, etc. Based on industry standards, best practices and experience, our vendor has recommended which categories are generally deemed appropriate for all ages. Content deemed as appropriate generally does not include profanity, sexual content, violence, child abuse, software piracy, copyright theft, malware, spyware, depictions of alcohol, tobacco, weapons, gambling or drug use.

Content mapping is updated regularly by the vendor to help ensure a comprehensive list is maintained.

The youtube mode seems like an "also, this will be turned on".

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

jmediajar
Grasshopper

Corbin, I was so hoping for a different answer.

Shaw folks, I know with parental controls you can't please everyone.  I get it, it's tough, I'm a developer myself, but it's like you didn't even try.

Parental Controls shouldn't have been released in its current implementation, IMHO.  You've oversold a feature not fully developed (probably against the advise of your release manager).  It maybe works for the extreme case where a person wants to militarize one client on the network and lock it down, but that's the extreme.  For the majority of us, we want at least a little bit of tuning control!  It's seems the default action when switching on Parental Controls is that this "third-party vendor" blocks all YouTube video's, and the one's we do see are by accident.

For example, turn Parental Controls on and try playing videos on wimp.com.  A large portion of the videos are blocked!  (wimp is a site that posts clean, family friendly content).

Heck, even Shaw's own imbedded YouTube "how to" video's on this site are blocked when parental controls are active.  Hilarious (eye twitch)!

How to use Bedtime Mode with BlueCurve Home 

I was so positive when, yesterday, I drove down to the local Shaw store and picked up the new BlueCurve modem.  It was going to make life hunky-dory.  Sigh, not so positive today.  I now have to pack up the new gear and drive all the way back to the Shaw store to return it.  Sure, the new modem allows me to "pause" the network when I want my kids attention, cool'ish.  But the analog version of unplugging the modem from the wall, works fine too.

It would have at least be better if I could opt-out of using the third-party option and implement an alternative solution.  For example OpenDNS.  But the BlueCurve modem no longer allows one to change/use custom DNS settings.

Any hope of a fix in coming rleases?

Afternoon rant over...

Jump to solution

shaw-tamara

Hey  

Thanks for taking the time to leave us your feedback! I've forwarded this on to the product development team so they can take a look. 

Jump to solution

Not applicable

There’s also additional ways to customize within the “approved content only” section. Parents can pick from collections of videos that are built by YouTube itself and brands like Sesame Workshop and PBS Kids WalgreensListens.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

jmediajar
Grasshopper

Do you mean you have to approve each video individually, or you mean you can approve “YouTube” domain? In other words, approve all videos from YouTube?

Jump to solution

I can not agree with jmediajar Grasshopper more than this...

dunnleaddress
Grasshopper

I can not agree with jmediajar Grasshopper more than this. I used be able to configure OpendDNS with Telus modem, now Shaw took away the right of internet where I can choose what DNS provider to use and Shaw gives us a parental control that too extreme that my kids can not learn ski tricks from youtube, we can not read youtube comments. 

Shaw please make it right by either let us change our DNS to OpenDNS or allow us to filter contents on the web with Blue Curve. Fix it so that we can prefer a friend for you.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help