Depending on where you live you might still be able to us...

bostonbob
Grasshopper

@LoyalToTheOil wrote:

For many of us, these update issues will no longer matter by the summer. RIP Gateway https://support.shaw.ca/t5/tv-articles/about-regional-tv-box-upgrades/ta-p/32715

I’m not looking forward to replacing the Gateway system that has been relatively reliable and user friendly for the past decade.

Depending on where you live you might still be able to use your Gateway.......at least for awhile. My 3416 had a late 2021 retirement date but only for certain areas on the Regional TV Box Upgrade page on the Legacy TV Box Upgrade page it is still listed as being retired in early April. If you check the Legacy page there is no mention at all of the Gateway being retired: https://support.shaw.ca/t5/tv-articles/about-legacy-tv-box-upgrade-program/ta-p/9242#content-section... .

I would think the Gateway would stick around at least until SHAW brings out another option. I know they are really pushing the Bluecurve box but you would think they would have more than one model available for their customers. Regardless I sure am glad that I purchased both my 3416 and Gateway boxes. That's about $900 I'll never get back. 

Here’s hoping you’re right, though I figure those three m...

LoyalToTheOil
Grasshopper

Here’s hoping you’re right, though I figure those three markets identified in the article make sense to start the phase out process, given the subscriber base and infrastructure to support BlueCurve. The Legacy page appears not to list the Gateway yet, since it’s still at a ‘regional’ point.

I received a call from a Shaw rep, advising me I needed to make a hardware change within the next few months, which also sounded like I needed to make a programming change to match the current compatible package. Cost for the TV package would be pretty much the same, with the addition of a bunch of bundled SD channels which I could care less about, and they offered to bump up my Internet component by one tier for no extra charge (savings of a whopping $5). I’m going to explore my options, and probably wait for the point where I’m told the Gateway is actually no longer going to be functional. 

I'm not anti-SHAW ( or else I would have left along time...

bostonbob
Grasshopper

@LoyalToTheOil wrote:

I received a call from a Shaw rep, advising me I needed to make a hardware change within the next few months, which also sounded like I needed to make a programming change to match the current compatible package. Cost for the TV package would be pretty much the same, with the addition of a bunch of bundled SD channels which I could care less about, and they offered to bump up my Internet component by one tier for no extra charge (savings of a whopping $5). I’m going to explore my options, and probably wait for the point where I’m told the Gateway is actually no longer going to be functional. 

I'm not anti-SHAW ( or else I would have left along time ago ) but maybe you should read this thread: https://support.shaw.ca/t5/billing-account-discussions/is-it-time-to-move-my-services/td-p/47375

I still haven't made a final decision but unless SHAW calls me back ( I will not bother calling them seeing how my last call went ) it sure looks like I will be making the switch over to Telus at the end of March. Telus has been dealing with me like they actually want me as a customer instead of the " take it or leave it " attitude that I'm getting from a company that I have been with for over 20 years.

If and when Shaw retires the Gateway, will be interesting...

hjnicol
Grasshopper

If and when Shaw retires the Gateway, will be interesting for me.  I've been a Shaw customer for a very long time, but not because "well, I've always been", for the recent past ?  10 years ???  it's has been because of the Gateway. 

Telus installed fiber optic in my area a number of years ago and we were inundated (wave after wave) of sales people pushing "move to Telus, it's so much better".   It was the attributes of the Gateway that solidified our continued patronage of Shaw.

Agree, the Gateway has been the best equipment by far tha...

confusius
Grasshopper

Agree, the Gateway has been the best equipment by far that Shaw has provided (up to 6TB extender, great PQ, functional 30s skip).

With Bluecurve, Shaw is going back to a fully locked system (no extender support, no local recording going forward).

There may be one way to keep your Gateway going for longer: sign up your spouse for Internet and leave only cable tv on your account (bluecurve needs interent on same account I think).

Or, like me, you can drop "cable" TV altogether when the Gateway is done.  

0 Kudos

It wasn't so much what was being sorted by (date or title...

withheld
Grasshopper

It wasn't so much what was being sorted by (date or title), but that sorting by title groups shows of the same name together in "folders", while sorting by date used to leave them in a big list sorted by date with all recordings individual no matter what the name or how many episodes of a particular show - it looked similar to what you see now if there is only one episode of each show.  Selecting the sort by date option no longer appears to work, and it looks like the sort by title view.

I am also disappointed by the bluecurve wave coming.  From what I have seen the bluecurve boxes are not what I want (and why would I want to talk to my remote?)

I suppose we will once again lose all of anything we have recorded, when they take away our current boxes to give us an "upgrade".  Although some newer systems store your stuff somewhere in the "cloud" instead of in the box itself - maybe Shaw will get there, and allow for moving stuff from the old box to there?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help