Recordings cutting off early

mistiblu
Grasshopper

I have BlueCurve tv.  I've had quite a spate of recordings cutting off several minutes before the end of the show lately.  It isnt just one show or one channel.  As most shows tend to end a few minutes before the hour is up, i'm guessing that my recordings are ending at about the 54 or 55 minute mark.  I dont think I should have to set all my recordings to end several minutes late to make up for this.  I'd just like to know why this is happening as I seem to be missing the wrap up bit at the end of the shows.  Is there some general setting that is off?

50 Replies

Good question, I'm seeing this issue too but not as extre...

srglassw
Grasshopper

Good question, I'm seeing this issue too but not as extreme as the Original Poster. It seems like recordings start maybe 30 seconds before the program is scheduled to start but they only record for the length of the program. So, a recording for a program scheduled to run 30 minutes, for example, ends 30 seconds, or whatever length of time it started early, before the actual end of the program. This usually doesn't matter too much because it cuts off a commercial or the end of the credits but sometimes it cuts off the crucial last bit of a program.

I notice this too when two episodes of a program are on back to back, a half hour episode at 7:00 PM followed by another half hour episode at 7:30 PM for example. The last bit of the first episode recording get recorded again at the start of the second episode and the second episode seems to be short by the length of the overlap.

Yes I agree about the back to back programs and I also ag...

mistiblu
Grasshopper

Yes I agree about the back to back programs and I also agree that shows are starting early which then has them ending early.  Its like the system time is off.

When I PVR the CBC's "Coroner" episodes, the recording al...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

When I PVR the CBC's "Coroner" episodes, the recording always includes the last few minutes of the preceding CBC show. I think that the CBC is not giving accurate start/stop times to Shaw, i.e., CBC tells Shaw that Coroner starts at 8 PM, but the CBC broadcast of Coroner starts at 8:01 or 8:02 or 8:30 PM.

0 Kudos

Yes, two channels i've had trouble with are CBC (Murdoch...

mistiblu
Grasshopper

Yes, two channels i've had trouble with are CBC (Murdoch Mysteries always ends early cutting off the end) and MeTv. I have a bunch of recorded shows on other channels and i'm going to take note of which ones start and end early as I watch them.

0 Kudos

Intermittent instances of programs starting a minute or t...

shaw-valerie

@mistiblu Intermittent instances of programs starting a minute or two late can occur in one-off instances due to a live program running over schedule in an earlier time slot, but if you are noticing specific channels or programs where this is an ongoing trend, you can report that using the guide error form here.

To prevent missing portions of recorded content, you can also set your series and individual recordings to start early or end late in the recording settings

You say to prevent missing portions of recorded content -...

bccamper
Grasshopper

You say to prevent missing portions of recorded content - such as the last 2-3 minutes which are sometimes critical to the whole program - WELL that is unacceptable to have to set each and every program to record 5 minutes longer.  Why can't you just fix the problem on your end.

Since MeTV never has live programming, that is not the pr...

mistiblu
Grasshopper

Since MeTV never has live programming, that is not the problem.  Every single show I record off that channel includes the end credits and a bit of the prior show.  Prime time shows on CBC are also bad at cutting off early especially Murdoch Mysteries and Coroner.  So either those two channels are out of sync or the time on your end is wrong.  

0 Kudos

> So either those two channels are out of sync or the tim...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> So either those two channels are out of sync or the time on your end is wrong.  

Or, CBC is not telling the truth about the start/end times, and the Shaw Guide is being populated with incorrect times.

When I record "Coroner", I always get the final few minutes of the preceding show ("Murdoch Mysteries").

While I am seeing the same issue with recordings starting...

srglassw
Grasshopper

While I am seeing the same issue with recordings starting early and recordings ending early I have trouble believing that it is a problem with the broadcaster or the  guide. Rather I think it is an issue with the BlueCurve software. I believe this for the simple reason that the issue did not occur with my previous DCX3510-M PVR and the HD Guide. Only when I upgraded to BlueCurve TV did this issue arise.

TALK TO US
We're here to help