Remote Control Functionality

KevinA72
Grasshopper

I fast-forward through commercials. When I see the next scenes from the show, I press Play. Rather than stopping at that point - the sensical result from pressing Play - it typically goes to a point between one and three minutes earlier. Not stopping at the point where I press Play is clearly wrong by itself. Going back an inconsistent amount seems to indicate a further design flaw. It almost seems designed to ensure the user views at least some of the commercials.

Is there a fix for these problems?

Labels (2)
11 Replies

-- I fast-forward through commercials On my Shaw Gateway...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@KevinA72 -- I fast-forward through commercials

On my Shaw Gateway PVR, I press the "skip forward 30 seconds" button a few times. A "TV time-out" during the Stanley Cup is exactly 2 minutes. So, FOUR button-pushes gets me back to the game.

0 Kudos

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, if you searc...

KevinA72
Grasshopper

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, if you search for an image of the current Blue Curve TV remote you will see that it no longer has a skip forward button..The remove for our previous PVR had one and it is necessary, especially with the way Blue Curve doesn't react properly to the Play button after fast-forwarding.

0 Kudos

Instructions here.  https://support.shaw.ca/t5/tv-artic...

rstra
Grand Master

Thank you. I hadn't come across instructions to reprogram...

KevinA72
Grasshopper

Thank you. I hadn't come across instructions to reprogram the skip forward/backward buttons, so that may address my issue.

All the same, I would appreciate a SHAW response starting with either "The program goes backward a random amount of time when you press Play because ..." or "The way to have the program stop at the exact point in the program when you press Play is ...".

-- the current Blue Curve TV remote ... no longer has a s...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@KevinA72 -- the current Blue Curve TV remote ... no longer has a skip forward button.

Hmm. @rstra linked to a document that describes how to set a button on the remote control to 30-forward/15-back, and he is never wrong. 🙂

0 Kudos

I appreciate the suggestions, although reprogramming the...

KevinA72
Grasshopper

I appreciate the suggestions, although reprogramming the +5 minute and - 5 minute buttons takes away functionality I currently use frequently.

Fundamentally, my question was why the remote reacts so poorly to pressing Play when I am fast-forwarding. I yet again am disappointed with Shaw's low level (i.e. virtually non-existent) support.

The BlueCurve tv interface skips back when you resume pla...

shaw-valerie

@KevinA72 The BlueCurve tv interface skips back when you resume playback from fast-forwarding in an attempt to correct for the delay in you seeing the content you want to view, recognizing that you wish to resume playback, and hitting the play button. Obviously everyone's reaction times are a bit different, so it's not a perfect solution, but that's the intended effect. The amount it jumps back does differ depending on the speed at which you're fast-forwarding, so it goes further back on higher speed fast-forwarding. 

Our support forums are not a direct support channel, while we do have some Shaw moderators, this space is mainly intended as a peer-to-peer forum. If you are looking for support, typically the quickest way to connect with an agent would be through Live Messaging 

0 Kudos

Thank you for the reply and explanation. AS you note, eve...

KevinA72
Grasshopper

Thank you for the reply and explanation. AS you note, everyone's reaction time is different but it is hard to imagine a reaction time so slow to justify a need to skip back three or four commercials when advancing at the third fast-forward speed. A person that wasted is unlikely to be able to operate the remote at all. I will contact Shaw through a different channel to recommend a correction to the functionality.

That link just connects to a faq. Is skip-fwd indeed not...

Adrianmic
Grasshopper

That link just connects to a faq. Is skip-fwd indeed not possible?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help