TV Apps Not Recognizing my Credentials from MyShaw

RyanV86
Grasshopper

Hello,

I recently renewed my Total TV package for another 2-years. Historically, I've used Apple TV 4Ks on all my tvs across the house, and then I use the channel specific apps (Global, CTV, SportsNet, TSN) for content. These sites ask me to go on my phone, provide my shaw tv login info and they verify the channels I should have access to. Since renewing, these associated channels are all wrong. For example, it says I only have Sportsnet 360, when I should have West, East, Ontario, 1, etc. The Global app says I only have access to news channels.

Has anyone experienced this? Have you rectified it??

I've now spend several hours with tech support on the phone, however no one seems to fully grasp how this backend transfer of content access is handled. 

Appreciate any support this community can provide!!

20 Replies

Your cable boxes are showing those channels ok?

rstra
Grand Master

@RyanV86  Your cable boxes are showing those channels ok?

0 Kudos

Yeah, they work on my cable box and the Ignite TV app

RyanV86
Grasshopper

Yeah, they work on my cable box and the Ignite TV app

0 Kudos

--  no one seems to fully grasp how this back-end transfe...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@RyanV86 --  no one seems to fully grasp how this back-end transfer of content access is handled. 

When you enter your ID & password onto the non-Shaw site, those credentials are passed to Shaw's back-end, to first authenticate the values, and then to send your entitlements to the non-Shaw site.  

Get Shaw to "reprovision" your account, so that Shaw sends the correct entitlements.

As @rstra suggests, disconnect the electrical power from the cable-modem, wait a few seconds, and reconnect it, and let the cable-modem fully restart.  Then, check if you can still access all of the SportsNet channels.  If you can, retry on those non-Shaw web-sites.

0 Kudos

Has anyone experienced this? Have you rectified it?? I'm...

srglassw
Grasshopper

Has anyone experienced this? Have you rectified it??

I'm experiencing the same thing with accessing TSN+ live streaming. My Shaw credentials are accepted but I can nevertheless no longer access the TSN+ content. After logging in with my Shaw credentials I get a Bell Media Login/Subscribe screen for TSN+ subscription.

I haven't pursued mdk's advise regarding account reprovisioning or cable modem resetting yet. Wondering if anyone has had success with resolving this issue?

0 Kudos

Well, I followed the suggestion to disconnect the cable m...

srglassw
Grasshopper

Well, I followed the suggestion to disconnect the cable modem power (60 seconds) but this had no success.

Next, I contacted Shaw and got nowhere. See the excerpt from my chat session following:

15:25, Nov 17
Johan WSDS: Hello Ralph. So regarding logging into TSN+ with your Shaw credentials, the content offered and accessed would be managed by the TSN+ app which is beyond our scope.
15:28, Nov 17
 You: On TSN's site they refer me back to my TV provider (Shaw) for this issue. I have done some research and found some references in the Shaw TV discussion forum, such as, "When you enter your ID & password onto the non-Shaw site, those credentials are passed to Shaw's back-end, to first authenticate the values, and then to send your entitlements to the non-Shaw site. Get Shaw to "reprovision" your account, so that Shaw sends the correct entitlements". So, I am at a dead end.
15:31, Nov 17
Johan WSDS: I'll have to check with support if there is something we could do in this particular case. Bear with me as I do this.
15:31, Nov 17
You: OK, thank you
15:38, Nov 17
Johan WSDS: Ok, so I have just checked with support and indeed it is beyond our scope of support as logging into third party apps in general with Shaw credentials isn't something we can troubleshoot. In this case we would likely refer you to TSN+'s own support for further assistance.
15:40, Nov 17
You: Maybe you (Shaw) could check my account and verify what entitlements you are sending to TSN when I login with my Shaw credentials. I understand that Shaw has no control over what TSN does with my entitlements but you certainly do control what entitlements are sent to TSN.
15:43, Nov 17
Johan WSDS: The entitlements we send are just what are on your TV package which is Legacy Ignite Total TV.

0 Kudos

The equipment would have nothing to do with this problem...

rstra
Grand Master

@srglassw  The equipment would have nothing to do with this problem and I am not sure what “re-provisioning” your account would involve. I do agree that this seems like a third party app issue. Have you  tried other third party apps like Global or CTV to see if your entitlements are working on those services?

0 Kudos

The short story is that other apps have the same issue as...

srglassw
Grasshopper

@rstra The short story is that other apps have the same issue as TSN.

I tried the Global and CTV apps too. Both accepted my Shaw credentials for TV service provider login with no issues. However, it seems that most content for specialty channels such as HGTV and Discovery Velocity is not accessible even though I am subscribed to the channels and can watch them via my cable box. In the Global app, episodes of Island of Brian on HGTV for example, are labelled "Subscribe to watch". If I try to watch one of these episodes I get a message box saying that based on my TV package I have access to only Global, Global News, Lifetime and Magnolia Network. In the CTV app it says I have access to CTV, MUCH and E and for the other specialty channels to contact my TV provider to add these channels.

Looking in the View channels list on the myshaw.ca website lists all the specialty channels that are included in my Shaw TV package. It seems that whatever TV package information Shaw is sending to the third party apps is either incomplete or incorrect.

At one time I didn't have this issue. I suspect it cropped up as part of the Rogers takeover of Shaw and the changing of TV packages from Shaw Total TV to Rogers Ignite TV. It appears to me that Rogers, together with Shaw is not sending the complete/correct information to the third party apps.

0 Kudos

Try refreshing your channel listings in my.shaw.ca and cr...

rstra
Grand Master

@srglassw  Try refreshing your channel listings in my.shaw.ca and create another Shaw ID, maybe your existing one is having problems.

0 Kudos

Yes, I would say that my Shaw ID/channel listing is havin...

srglassw
Grasshopper

@rstra  Yes, I would say that my Shaw ID/channel listing is having problems for sure. But, I have already refreshed the channel list. Not sure how another ID would have any impact on Shaw back end. In any case, Shaw/Rogers only allows the primary customer to login to My Shaw. What I need is for Shaw to accept that there is in fact an issue here and seriously look into it. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help