Very unhappy with the switch to Ignite TV

bernardf
Grasshopper

A few weeks ago, I got a call from Rogers saying my Shaw Gateway/Portal won't work anymore with their new system, so I had to switch to Ignite TV. That was already unwelcome news, but since there was no alternative, I told them to send me the replacement boxes.

I tried to keep an open mind. I had no idea it would be so bad. 

Installation was easy, but after using Ignite TV for a few weeks, I'm getting ready to terminate my TV service.

1. Unless you explicitly record a program, it only keeps 20 minutes of live TV. The Gateway/Portal kept up to 2 hours.
  2. I can no longer flip through channels. If I switch channels, any live TV content is lost. In contrast, with my Gateway/Portal, which had 6 tuners, I could flip through up to 5 channels without losing the ability to rewind any of them. For example, I could be watching news and, during commericials, switch to another news channel, rewind it a bit, and see what I missed. Then go back to the first one.
  3. The screen saverkicks in after a few seconds on pause, and keeps showing me ads for programming. I'm not paying $2500+ per year to Rogers to get more advertisement pushed in my face. 
  4. Skipping commercials in recorded content is a pain. My Shaw Gateway/Portal allowed good control over skip and rewind. The Rogers box only has 2 options: 5 minutes and 30 seconds.
  5. Recordings are only retained for a year

Anyway, they sent me an email saying my old Gateway/Portal will completely stop working by July 29. When that date arrives, I'll probably make the switch to Telus for Internet and get my TV content exclusively through streaming. Rogers managed to finally remove all advantages that paying for cable had left over the streaming services.

Labels (2)
6 Replies

wrote: I can no longer flip through channels. Yes, you ca...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@bernardf wrote: I can no longer flip through channels.

Yes, you can. Just tap "record" before you switch away. When you flip back, you can "rewind" the recording.

Skipping commercials in recorded content is a pain. My Shaw Gateway/Portal allowed good control over skip and rewind. The Rogers box only has 2 options: 5 minutes and 30 seconds.

The Gateway PVR only had a key to skip-forward by 30 seconds.  The new box can skip-forward by 30 seconds.

0 Kudos

My personal opinion about this is that Shaw customers sho...

acarnold909
Grasshopper

My personal opinion about this is that Shaw customers should be allowed a choice of which cable equipment we can use even if it's a Motorola cable box, not everyone wants the latest ones or wireless boxes, it seems Shaw/Rogers is forcing the new latest box/wireless box on us.....my opinion anyways.

The Gateway PVR has options of 30 seconds, 3 minutes, 5 m...

bernardf
Grasshopper

@mdk wrote:

Yes, you can. Just tap "record" before you switch away. When you flip back, you can "rewind" the recording.

Which goes to my point: now I have to use awkward workarounds (recording several programs, then remembering to delete them after) for what used to be simple and should never have been removed in the first place.

@mdk wrote:

The Gateway PVR only had a key to skip-forward by 30 seconds.  The new box can skip-forward by 30 seconds.

The Gateway PVR has options of 30 seconds, 3 minutes, 5 minutes, and 15 minutes to skip forward. I'm looking at it right now. Also, it was in a nice menu, not a cryptic key combination with a big "may not be supported" disclaimer.

0 Kudos

At least you got a call. I happened to be chatting with R...

nanuuk
Grasshopper

At least you got a call. I happened to be chatting with Rogers on another issue and just before ending the session I asked if she knew when my equipment was scheduled to be retired. Answer was June 30.

After a mild panic attack I was able to arrange for a tech to come over today.

Whelp, Rogers came in and replaced my Gateway PVR and Portal TV box with two new XI6 players.

The tech arrived on time and had to do some minor trouble shooting to balance the signal from the router (which automatically updated its code to communicate with the two new tv devices) to the new boxes. The trouble shooting revolved around connections (and ends) in my basement and from where the cable enters my house.

Not as traumatic as I thought it would be.

The 'new' technology has upgraded all the channels I was previously receiving in SD, e.g. TMC, Cottage Country, Dejavu, etc., to HD and has let's me use streaming platforms I previously had on my Google Chromecast device (Disney+, Apple+,Prime Video). I am sure Crave and Netflix apps are there as well.

With the exception of Paramount+ and Pluto. They appear to not be available, but I'm on the hunt. A surprise was that Flex is available.

The functionality of the voice controlled remote control is superior to what I am used to with the Chromecast. Very effective to even change channels let alone going to a favourite program.

An added benefit is that the pass through of audio formats to my soundbar. Previously it was restricted to 5:1 only and none of the other codecs were available.

It has only been a couple of hours since the install, but I've learned to navigate using the guide and setting a recording. I haven't figured out how to skip through commercials on a recording yet (some folks have posted here that this feature is missing), but I'm sure I'll find a way.

If I don't, then Wifey will. Which is really the true litmus test of this changeover.

https://www.rogers.com/support/iptv/how-to-program-the-sk...

rstra
Grand Master
0 Kudos

It's interesting to see how the same features can be perc...

bernardf
Grasshopper

It's interesting to see how the same features can be perceived differently by different people:

• Channels changing from SD to HD: I hated that change. HD recordings take up way more space, so it means I can keep less full seasons from my favourite shows from the Fall and Winter seasons to watch in the summer (when there is nothing I like on)
  • Voice remote: both my wife an I hate it with a passion. It doesn't understand our accents, and we don't like technology listening to us anyway.
  • Integrated streaming apps: we see that as a mixed bag. On one side, it's more convenient than the Chromecast, as you pointed out; on the other side, it makes it confusing to find what's on TV vs streaming services we have vs streaming services we don't have. What do I care about what's in Crave? I don't subscribe to that.

Anyway, I'm happy for you and that you're enjoying the new experience. I still plan to cancel my TV service in the next 30 days or so.

0 Kudos