XG1V4 - ONE Too many Devices listed!

Lenerd
Grasshopper

Two months ago we had one of our two Shaw Blue Curve boxes exchanged, due to many problems with its recordings. To prevent any further problems, a Shaw rep updated the firmware on both of these machines. Thanks Shaw! We had renamed the replacement machine from Den to Loft to eliminate any confusion. The other box is named Kitchen. Now when we bring up our recordings and view by device, we have all three machines listed, all with recordings!! I called Shaw a few days ago with this problem and so far there has been no resolution. Our two machines named Kitchen and Loft have local hard drives are OK, unless you're watching an HD program and there's a couple of HD shows recording  at the same time, then there are some intermittent issues with the picture and audio. Would the machine which isn't physically present named Den be cloud-based then? I suspect the Phantom PVR named Den could be causing some of these issues. Has anyone else run into this problem?  If so, what was your solution? Thanks in advance. 🙂

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
22 Replies

So you have two XG1v4’s? You can go Settings/Device Setti...

rstra
Grand Master

So you have two XG1v4’s?

You can go Settings/Device Settings and click on Sync PVR to see if that helps. You could go to The My Shaw app and check the BlueCurve devices to make sure there are only two devices showing. 

Do you need the two PVR’s, or can you go with one XiD and one Xg1v4? 

I've synced PVR's on both XG1v4 boxes. just checked the m...

Lenerd
Grasshopper

I've synced PVR's on both XG1v4 boxes. just checked the mobile app, and it only shows two: Loft, Kitchen. However, when checking our XG1v4 recordings by device; show all, the list shows the XG1v4 box named Den, which is supposed to be long gone! >_<  

I cannot help but wonder IF this third phantom "Den' listing with recordings is responsible for issues when recording a couple of HD programs while watching another. I've even reduced XG1v4 resolution down to 720P, on both boxes to see if that helps. These boxes were promoted as being capable of recording up to SIX at a time! As far as the XID goes, I do not trust SHAW to provide enough bandwidth to make this cloud based PVR solution viable, until they go FULL on Fiber. The other issue is the XID is wireless, and my second TV is down a floor, two walls away totalling 50 feet. I chose these XG1v4's because they are wired into coax and have a LOCAL HDD for reliability.

0 Kudos

You are already recording to the cloud, so these recordin...

rstra
Grand Master

You are already recording to the cloud, so these recordings are probably old cloud recordings associated with the box that was replaced. 

The xid is not wireless, the xi6 is the wireless box.

0 Kudos

Thanks! Why we have XG1v4, it's 4K capable, the XID is no...

Lenerd
Grasshopper

Thanks! Why we have XG1v4, it's 4K capable, the XID is not. So what IS the HDD for then? 🤔

0 Kudos

Not really sure if the hard drive serves a purpose anymore.

rstra
Grand Master

Not really sure if the hard drive serves a purpose anymore.

0 Kudos

Thanks, things have generally been working a bit better a...

Lenerd
Grasshopper

Thanks, things have generally been working a bit better after all the work on the system locally in the last month. Perhaps we could consider a new Bluecurve , 2.0 Gateway, but ONLY when Shaw has one with ENOUGH ethernet ports! Presently running a bridged Shaw Hitron modem to my own Router. My Linksys WRT AC1900 has great range! Apparently there's a new Gateway [3.0?] coming, and will be available in a few months? Hopefully it will check all the boxes for our needs!?

In the last two nights things have gotten worse with our...

Lenerd
Grasshopper

In the last two nights things have gotten worse with our Bluecurve PVR , AGAIN! Life IS really TOO short for this! I have previously done everything suggested from this page: https://support.shaw.ca/t5/tv-articles/how-to-troubleshoot-poor-picture-quality-pixelation/ta-p/5513 .

I've worked with support numerous times. The last time I pointed out that we had THREE PVR's listed on our menus, when in fact we only have TWO! After numerous Refreshes and Resets, that is still NOT SOLVED!  I'm at a loss to know what else to try, unless it's to change providers! We TRIED to watch Global News last night, right after the broadcast, at 19:00. There was ONE other show recording during the Global news at 18:00. The picture was Pixelating & Audio kept dropping scores of times during the recording, rendering it pretty much unwatchable!!! It's FALSE advertising to promote, "up to SIX recordings at a time"!  TOO MANY DROPPED PACKETS WITH INTERNET 300!!  

After over FOUR DECADES of Loyalty to SHAW, we're JUST about ready to throw in the towel!  >_<  

0 Kudos

You are getting your tv signal over cable, your internet,...

rstra
Grand Master

You are getting your tv signal over cable, your internet, speed and packet loss have nothing to do with it.

Really weird that the extra XG1 keeps showing up. Have you had a service call yet? 

0 Kudos

No we haven't had a service call. Just DIY, changing out...

Lenerd
Grasshopper

No we haven't had a service call. Just DIY, changing out IDENTICAL splitters and reseating connections, etc. etc. These problems are almost always from recordings IN PRIME TIME, or when recording a couple of programs at a time, one on each box while watching another. I even set our primary 4K TV down to 720P, but NOTHING seems to help!  So how does this not correlate with speed or signal strength? Maybe your earlier suggestion downgrade to a XID for the second TV, which isn't 4K yet, but plan on upgrading it at the end this year, or early next. In the meantime, I would only consider it if offered a substantial rebate or discount for all the trouble and frustration these problems have caused.  >_< 

FYI: We're in a duplex townhouse unit. The SHAW van was at the adjoining unit 2 days ago, because their SHAW TV service was down. What the hell is going on in this complex of 45 units? Maybe a Local problem that NEEDS A CLOSE LOOK!  >💡

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help