Jump to solution

Connecting my wireless printer to my new wifi modem

Jean2
Grasshopper

My printer was working with Shaw's old modem.  I now have a new Shaw modem and need to connect my printer.  After 2 weeks of trying (shaw won't help because it's not their printer) (printer manufacture no longer supports the machine.) I have not been successful.  The printer searches for the SSID and finds a network, but not the network I am using.  Also, the printer does not have an Ethernet slot. HELP!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

I had the same issue - changed my modem/router to the Hit...

derekandjodi
Grasshopper

I had the same issue - changed my modem/router to the Hitron, and my printer (Epson Workforce 840 wifi-only) stopped working. It failed the MAC address filtering check even though no devices were showing as being filtered on the modem.

Tried allowing the printer as a managed device (didn't work), tried assigning it an IP (didn't work).

What *did* work was to change the Auth Mode under the Wireless SSID settings from WPA2-PSK to Auto (WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK) for the network the printer was on (the 2.4G one; I left the 5G one alone). This resulted in no errors on the printer side, but I had to remove and add the printer in Systems Preferences (Mac OSX High Sierra) to get my computer to recognise that the printer was idle and no longer offline.

View solution in original post

55 Replies
Jump to solution

Have you tried Shaw Support's Connect a Wireless Printer...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Have you tried Shaw Support's Connect a Wireless Printer page?

What is the make/model of your printer?

What wireless protocols (A? B? G? N? AC? 2.5 Ghz? 5.0 Ghz?) does it support?

Can you connect your smart-phone to the SSID of your network?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Every thing else works fine on wifi but when we got the n...

Susandoodle
Grasshopper

Every thing else works fine on wifi but when we got the new modem, the printer won't connect to wifi says "setup failed" MAC filtering check fail

Jump to solution

It may be due to a change in your wifi speed. This happen...

McJ
Grasshopper

It may be due to a change in your wifi speed. This happened to me when I upgraded my speed. Try connecting your printer to your computer using a USB port and then open your printer software and add your printer again. I was able to accomplish this using Printers & Scanners under Preferences (I have an iMac) because I don't have the proper software installed for my printer. I don't have the BlueCurve modem tho, just the older one.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

> the printer won't connect to WiFi says "setup failed" M...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> the printer won't connect to WiFi says "setup failed" MAC filtering check fail.

Every device (printer, computer, laptop, mobile device) with a network adapter (wired or wireless) has a unique "MAC" address -- not at all related to the "Mac" computers manufactured by Apple.

One method of adding "security" into your Shaw router is to explicitly "allow" a short list of MAC-addresses to connect to your router.  Any attempt by some "other" [unknown] device to connect to the router will then be "filtered" out, even if the correct password for the router's SSID has been specified.

So, check the configuration of your router, either to add the printer's MAC-address to the "allow" list, or to temporarily disable all MAC-filtering, and then retry to connect.

Or, check the configuration of your printer, because it may do its own "filtering", to prevent "unknown" devices from printing onto it.

Jump to solution

I had the same problem with my HP Envy 5530 printer, it d...

calgaryguy403
Grasshopper

I had the same problem with my HP Envy 5530 printer, it discovered the wifi network but would not connect to the router. 

I connected a travel router with an ethernet cable to the modem and the printer found it and worked on wifi just fine. 

So I requested a different router/modem from Shaw through chat.  They sent me a Cisco DPC3825 in two days and it works fine. The router/modem that would not work is a Hitron CGNM-2250. I did request technical support but the tech from Vancouver assured me it was a printer issue not the modem.  But it is working with the Cisco router/modem now. 

Jump to solution

I've tried to add it as a trusted device, but I got this...

lpcazacu
Grasshopper

I've tried to add it as a trusted device, but I got this error:

Host IP address isn't in LAN IP address subnet

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- Host IP address isn't in LAN IP address subnet Your pr...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@lpcazacu -- Host IP address isn't in LAN IP address subnet

Your previous router may have assigned an IP-address, of the form "192.168.0.nnn" to the printer, while your new router is using "10.0.0.mmm" for all the wired/WiFi devices connected to it.

So, on your printer, manually enter an "unused" IP-address, e.g., "10.0.0.246", into the printer's configuration, and a "gateway" IP-address of "10.0.0.1", too.  Then, try again.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Me too I bought a new Canon printer as my old printer wou...

Bigdog68
Grasshopper

Me too I bought a new Canon printer as my old printer wouldn't connect to my new Hitron. Asked Shaw for a different modem but sent me the same Hitron modem this week, still won't work but connects to my Folks Telus modem!

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- I bought a new Canon printer as my old printer wouldn'...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Bigdog68 -- I bought a new Canon printer as my old printer wouldn't connect to my new Hitron. 

A friend had a similar issue. Her Canon printer was connected, wirelessly, to her ARRIS cable-modem. Then, Shaw changed her cable-modem for a non-ARRIS cable-modem, and the Canon printer could detect the different SSID, but when she tried to connect to that SSID, the printer did not give her a chance to enter the password for the new SSID. Weird.  I'll have to ask her how she resolved it.

TALK TO US
We're here to help