Constant internet issues

md0h
Grasshopper

I am just about at my whits end here and I don't know where to go from here.

I have had CONSTANT internet issues for well over a month now, at random intervals during the day, the internet will drop out completely, ranging from 5 seconds to 8 minutes. I have setup traceroutes and continuous pings to run 24/7, and when the internet drops out, I can obviously ping my internal gateway, and the external IP of the router, but the next hop and beyond is unreachable.

First they told me I had to turn off bridge mode, and disconnect my personal equipment, so OK I did, issue continued. Next I was told I needed a technician to come out to my house to check it out, which happened last weekend. He tested the coax, and said the signal seemed fine but he had heard there was issues in the community, and it should be resolved during the week, and to check back in with support, and he replaced my modem just to be safe.

I waited until near the end of the week, and contacted support who said the community issue was "resolved" and my signal to noise ratio was "much better" now. No change in my issue, still constant throughout the day... the support technician told me to try bridging my modem again, so we did that, and low and behold, issue remained. I had another technician out at my house today, who said he thinks I received another dud modem/router, so he replaced it again today and left. The issue STILL exists, and the internet has cut out 15-20 times this afternoon/evening, and although BlueSky keeps working, Netflix running on the box does not (it cuts out for the same duration as the internet).

What do I need to do to get this taken seriously and looked after once and for all? It is clear to me that the issue is somewhere between my modem and the node it connects to. 

Labels (2)
15 Replies

Just ensure you get compensation for the inconvenience es...

Solace
Grasshopper

Just ensure you get compensation for the inconvenience especially if you have tests showing disruptions. I ditched light speed communications for their incompetence after showing them explicitly the same thing but just degraded performance at their first node instead of an complete outage. 

You cant do much other than consistently complain and even then most companies barely care about issues unless its widespread or affecting VIP clients as one customer is a fraction of their overall income. Showing them where the problem is does help speed things up so if you had a reverse path to that node it makes the process easier for the company even if your not on their salary.

0 Kudos

Shaw??

md0h
Grasshopper

Shaw support, anything???

0 Kudos

I'm sorry to hear of the ongoing issues that you are enco...

shaw-valerie

@md0h I'm sorry to hear of the ongoing issues that you are encountering with your service, and that the last service appointment was not able to resolve the problem. Reach out to us via DM on Facebook or Twitter so that we can take a look at your account and see what is happening now and setup another service appointment if needed. 

0 Kudos

I had the same problem. Wifi drops constantly. Rebooted t...

Matdex
Grasshopper

I had the same problem. Wifi drops constantly. Rebooted the shaw modem, they remotely reset it, service guy came and replaced the modem, but it still keeps happening. I'm going to try bringing my own wireless router from my brother's place to try, see if it's just the wifi. 

Do you have a neighbour who also is a subscriber to Shaw...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Do you have a neighbour who also is a subscriber to Shaw Internet? Ask your neighbour if their connection drops-out at the same time as yours. If it does, then the problem is not your cable-modem, and not the coax-cable from your home to the junction-box on the nearest telephone-pole.

Presumably, you have a coax-cable "splitter" somewhere in your home (to "split" the incoming signal to your TV(s) and/or your Shaw Phone modem, and/or your cable-modem.  Can you disconnect the cable-modem, and then connect it directly to the coax line feeding-in to that splitter in your home, and connect your computer to your cable-modem at its new location?

0 Kudos

I am having the same issues for over a month. I believe t...

csteffentoma
Grasshopper

I am having the same issues for over a month. I believe they upgraded me to internet 300 which may be faster for some but it is like internet 10. No speed no connections that last, it takes forever to open anything and usually is gives you the white page which we are unable to open this. I want to throw this computer through a wall.  I contacted shaw but all I get is online articles to read. Well guess what those articles do not fix the issue with whatever they have going on. I get so sick of starting something and then have the internet fail in the middle and lost it all. I am so sick of waiting and waiting for it to recover something or open something. It is insane this company charges so much for cable and internet and they cannot ever run a decent company that works. 

0 Kudos

Hey , are you noticing this issue on just the one compute...

shaw-tony

Hey @csteffentoma, are you noticing this issue on just the one computer or on multiple devices? Are the issues over WiFi only or are direct ethernet connections to your computer showing slow speeds as well? I'd recommend running a speed test on both WiFi and direct ethernet connections on multiple devices to see where the slowdowns are.

From the online articles, what troubleshooting steps have you tried? 

0 Kudos

Once again, the issue of intermitent disconnections is wi...

Dude2Dude
Grasshopper

Once again, the issue of intermitent disconnections is widespread and seems to disproportinately affect the new XB6 modem. When it happens, the solid white light on the top of the unit starts flashing green — and the disconnection is conformed by my AirPort utility, which shows the router operation but no internet signal passing through — until it finally goes back online. This can take anywhere from two to five minutes. It's incredibly annoying, and makes it impossible for my son to actually play any online games with his pals.

This issue is referenced countless times. Do a Google search for Xb^ and dropouts or disconnection. 

0 Kudos

I see you have responded in a similar post here. Do you h...

shaw-tony

@Dude2Dude I see you have responded in a similar post here. Do you have the modem bridged with your Apple Airport connection? Can you remove the Apple Airport and run the modem unbridged to see if there are any disconnections? You may need to factory reset the modem.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help