New Bluecurve modem humming noise and very short range distance

GeoMug
Grasshopper

My new modem has a constant humming noise that is extremely annoying, does anyone else have this issue?  Also the range is very poor, I have it set in a central location on my 2nd floor.  The signal does not even reach to my downstairs kitchen of a normal size home.  A speed test on my phone cannot connect in the kitchen, but performs well right beside the modem.  Previously I use a 3rd party router, but was told this would be better.  Is this everyone's experience, or do i have a dud?

55 Replies

- My new modem has a constant humming noise that is extre...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@GeoMug - My new modem has a constant humming noise that is extremely annoying, does anyone else have this issue? 

Judging by the other reports on this forum, the BlueCurve does have a noisy fan.

Experiment #1: stand on your 2nd floor, immediately above the 1st floor kitchen, and run the Shaw SpeedTest.

Experiment #2: stand the BlueCurve on either end, repeat Experiment #1. Better? Worse?

Experiment #3: while the BlueCurve is standing on one end, try to connect from your kitchen, and run the Speed Teset. Better/worse than when the BlueCurve in its normal orientation ?

Thank for helping   I did get a replacement from shaw.  1...

GeoMug
Grasshopper

Thank for helping @mdk 

I did get a replacement from shaw.  1st off, just as noisy, guess I'll have to live with that until i go crazy.  Might still consider going back to internet 300 if this is only option.

As for speedtesting, the orientation of the modem seems to make no difference.  And the tests are completely unpredictable right now, at one point i get 2mbps in the kitchen, sometimes no signal at all, and then just now i recorded 102mbps in the exact same spot.  I'll give the new modem a few days to work out the kinks and hopefully will have some consistency.

Do you have band steering turned on? One SSID for both 2....

rstra
Grand Master

Do you have band steering turned on? One SSID for both 2.4 and 5 GHz networks,

0 Kudos

Maybe, try a different method of measuring the speed.  If...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Maybe, try a different method of measuring the speed.  If you have a second computer, use Windows Networking to "share" a folder on that computer (preferably connected via CAT-5e (or CAT-6) Ethernet cable to your modem, and put some large files into that folder. From your kitchen, try to copy those files onto your first computer, while using the "Performance" tab within the Windows "Task Manager" to view the instantaneous usage of your network connection.  This method avoids using the coaxial-cables (both inside your house and out to the nearest telephone-pole, while showing the actual performance of the WiFi adapters -- inside the modem and inside your first computer.

Also, contact Shaw (online-chat or telephone) and ask them to remotely logon to your modem, to check the signal-strength at the point where the coaxial cable enters the modem.  If there is a "last mile" problem, Shaw can dispatch a technician to work outside of your house (up the telephone-pole, or at the Shaw "demarcation" box) to test the signal-strength entering your house.

Do you have any other WiFi devices (cordless telephone? Smart-TV?) that could be generating interference?

Anybody living in an "in-law suite" inside your house, and having WiFi hardware?

0 Kudos

I am not able to select this option. Under advanced setti...

GeoMug
Grasshopper

I am not able to select this option. Under advanced settings it states that these settings are managed automatically to optimize your home network.  I cannot adjust the network or channels.

0 Kudos

The speedtest on my computer connected by ethernet hits 6...

GeoMug
Grasshopper

The speedtest on my computer connected by ethernet hits 600mbps with no trouble.  But if I stand in the same room as the modem, my iphone X registers 20 mbps right now (but I've seen up to 170 last night), and 2 rooms away cannot even connect.  Yet, last night, i was getting 50mbps in my backyard.  I do not have multiple computers to transfer files nor am I that tech savvy.  I'm using ookla speed test which a online Shaw rep sent me.

I've always used a router before on internet 300 and had no problem with internet within my entire home and backyard.

I just need to get a consistent signal and be able to connect at any time of day.

As for interference, i have 1 smart tv downstairs (nowhere near modem), cordless phone which we never use (also far from modem) and no in-lae suite.  I'm sure the neighbors all have WI-FI setups, but that goes for everyone.

0 Kudos

I switched to BlueCurve weeks ago. The modem was loud so...

SZ3
Grasshopper

I switched to BlueCurve weeks ago. The modem was loud so I contacted Shaw. They sent me a new one with same issue. I am ok with soft humming but the high-pitched sound is annoying. 

yeah i am on the 3rd one for shaw i have kinda gave up th...

wintyer
Grasshopper

yeah i am on the 3rd one for shaw i have kinda gave up they keep sending referbished units that probly had the issue in the first place. you can tell because there kinda dirty covered in fingur prints.  it is kinda of a joke.

I just went through the same thing regarding noise levels...

quartzdottir
Grasshopper

I just went through the same thing regarding noise levels. Called about how noisy the fan was, was told by the rep that he "has it sitting 3 feet from where he sits and it's whisper quiet", so he sent me a new modem.  Plugged it in, it's the same high frequency whirling noise.  I suppose some people are just more sensitive to that fan noise, like I am.  I have a white noise machine beside the modem now to try and drown out the constant frequency coming from the fan.  And the fan seems to be the noisiest when NOTHING IS USING THE INTERNET.  When I get up after midnight to grab a glass or water the modem is super warm and the fan is going full speed.  

So I feel ya, I am so close to downgrading my modem just for the silence again!  Hopefully the v2.0s get cleared through trials in Calgary soon and we can upgrade to one with a full open top, which may have better air circulation, and hopefully quieter fans.

TALK TO US
We're here to help