Problems connecting my old laptop and Data queston

ChipmunkChill
Grasshopper

Hi.  I choose the network from the list, enter the password and it won't connect.  It's windows 7.  I enter the MACID manually in the Hitron and it still doesn't connect.  I had no problem before on the CISCO modem I had.  I just got the Hitron today.

With Internet 300 we are supposed to get unlimted but when logging in to look it shows the old plan limit.  Trying to figure out why that is.  Hopefully it should go away because I got the unlimited because I got a Amazon FireStick.  Which for now is on WiFi but later once I get the adapter in, I will connect to wired to keep it cooler and for faster speeds.

I'm not connecting a lot of wifi just my phone and the firestick.  So was puzzled when it wouldn't work with the laptop.  Since before all worked fine.

5 Replies

Since the laptop is running Windows 7, how old is the lap...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Since the laptop is running Windows 7, how old is the laptop? Specifically, how old is the WiFi adapter inside the computer? What protocols (G? N?) does that WiFi adapter support? Are the same protocols being broadcast by the Hitron?

Does the laptop connect to other WiFi networks (ShawOpen, Starbucks, TimHortons, public library) and what protocol is chosen?

Note that Windows 7 achieved its "sunset" over a month ago, and is no longer being supported by Microsoft.  It's time to stop using Windows 7 on the Internet -- use it only "offline", or take the free upgrade to Windows 10.

> Trying to figure out why that is.

I recommend that you make a telephone call to Shaw: 1-888-472-2222, and get Shaw to check your Internet settings.

The laptop is a Lenovo Thinkpad r61i  but I changed the C...

ChipmunkChill
Grasshopper

The laptop is a Lenovo Thinkpad r61i  but I changed the CPU in it to a T7500 and added 2G ram so it's now 4g.  It's a core duo.  I got it back around 2008 and about a year ago finally upgraded the hard drive, cpu and ram.  I'm planning on getting a tablet eventually.  It does a/n/g and was on the CISCO.  I could connect it with an ethernet cable.  I want it to connect because sometimes I'm lazy and don't feel like turning on the desktop so just use my phone or laptop.  I've turned off the Hitron's 5G because my phone doesn't do it, nor does the laptop or the firestick.  So it would be wasted to leave that on.  My phone only does up to 4G and LTE.  I'm not sure about the firestick but the laptop I don't know if it would but it did the regular wifi just find on the cisco.

I had my laptop using Linux for awhile.  Then went to put windows on it thinking I might still get the upgrade as I had windows 7 OEM disk.  But it didn't do it.  Only for my prior desktop which I've retired after getting a TC-885 EB17 during winter sales.

The laptop does connect at the other places.  I can use Shaw Open before while out.  It connects on the same default settings as what this modem has.  Not gone out and tried to connect since my service upgrade. 

If I get a tablet to replace it I plan on getting a generic deca-core 8G Ram 128 or 512G ROM with 4G(or 5 if they have it).  That would be running android which should do WPS.  I'm not sure if I download a WPS app if it would work on windows 7.  Everything else I had connected fine.  I've never had problems locking devices in before so I find it weird even if it is old.

0 Kudos

certainly odd why only your laptop is not connecting. You...

shaw-tony

@ChipmunkChill certainly odd why only your laptop is not connecting. You could try a factory pinhole reset with the steps here and see if it will reconnect (you will need to reconnect your other devices as well). Let me know how it goes!

I might try loading Linux on it again because it is old....

ChipmunkChill
Grasshopper

I might try loading Linux on it again because it is old.  Though It depends on how well I find the pricing of the cheaper non-branded tablets.  I saw them as low as $70 with Android 7 to 9 on it and DecaCore with 8G ram.  Such a thing is far above my old laptop and more modern OS of course. 

I'm also running into that the wired connection states the old modem's name.  I find that weird but maybe it's because I just switched.  I locked access by device so the laptop is the only device it's not dealing with even with a manually entered MACID.  Which tells me it might just really hate windows 7 for not being supported.  So I'll back up my stuff and try Linux unless within the next 2 weeks I find a tablet.  If I need to the laptop does seem to connect via ethernet.  But most everything would through an ethernet.  I do have the end MS Security free package on the laptop.  I should of put windows 7 on it before the free update ran out.  But it's only a 4G memory Core Duo(T7550) which I probably should recycle.

Maybe I'll fiddle a little with 5G.  So far I think everything is just on the regular.  I wasn't sure my phone or laptop could do it.  Firestick it seems mixed as to what I find online about that.  I also found that if my desktop is switched to WiFi mode it also doesn't want to connect to the network.  I turned off wifi on it normally.  I turned it on wondering if that would change the ethernet adapter network name because it's using the prior CISCO name not the Hitron.

0 Kudos

I installed ubuntu and now it connects fine. Other than...

ChipmunkChill
Grasshopper

I installed ubuntu and now it connects fine.  Other than the 2G seems to disconnect every so often.  I'm hoping to get a tablet or new laptop later this year.  Now I'm to having a problem with my phone.  I tried the AirTV app because I have an antenna and it registered fine but wouldn't log on.  Now my router says request denied so I might have to re-password it.  After I upgraded windows(desktop) it said something similar about my windows but it can still connect.  I didn't run the fix on that but if I see the message again I will. 

I also have tried AiryTV which I think is just old shows from a free provider.  As far as I know it's not regulated and it and AirTV both abide by regulations(firetv Canada) so I don't know for sure if that is why my phone isn't connecting.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help