Shaw Webmail

macphl
Grasshopper

I login to Webmail on my desktop using a password, and don't use an app on my phone.

My inbox shows one new message, unread, but there is no email. I have cleaned the cache many times, restarted the computer and shutdown the computer.

Prior to this error I had an email in my inbox, that was clearly spam, so I put it in my junk folder. It took several tries to delete it, each time I had an error message. (no message #). Finally I marked it as read in my junk folder, then was able to delete it..

Please assist with my problem.

Thank you.

Labels (1)
8 Replies

-- My inbox shows one new message, unread, but there is n...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@macphl -- My inbox shows one new message, unread, but there is no email.

If you have more than 50 E-mail messages, WebMail only shows 50 per page. You have to click to see the "next 50", which might contain that 1 message.

I have only 14 messages in my inbox, all have been read....

macphl
Grasshopper

I have only 14 messages in my inbox, all have been read. There is a 15th one, which doesn't display. (Phantom email). I have also tried to mark all unread, then changed back to all read. Problem persists.

0 Kudos

-- can you create a new folder that is not a sub-folder o...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@macphl -- can you create a new folder that is not a sub-folder of your "inbox" folder, and move the 14 messages into it, and then right-mouse-button-click to select to "empty" the "inbox" folder? Then, logout/login, and move the 14 messages back to the "inbox" folder.

Or, empty the "Junk" folder, and move the 14 messages into the "Junk" folder, before "emptying the inbox".

Problem Deleting Spam Emails / Emptying Junk Folder

lmacri
Grasshopper

Hi macphl :

I had a similar issue that also started last Thursday (25-Feb-2021), but it seems to have resolved itself yesterday (02-Mar-2021).

For the past few weeks my Shaw email account has been bombarded by large number of phishing emails from fake email addresses (e.g., suotvqdrvd@suotvqdrvd.suotvqdrvd, jchulexzbf@jchulexzbf.jchulexzbf, pswthwcpqh@pswthwcpqh.pswthwcpqh, etc.). Until 25-Feb-2021 I had no problem marking these phishing emails as Spam and then emptying my Junk folder. On 25-Feb-2021, I logged into my Shaw Web Mail and marked three of those phishing emails as Spam, but when I emptied my Junk folder they simply re-appeared in my Inbox as unread messages. I then tried deleting those phishing emails from my Shaw Web Mail Inbox but got an error message (I clicked a button to submit the error to Shaw). The phishing messages seemed to be deleted from my Shaw Inbox, but as soon as I opened MS Outlook 2019 they re-appeared in the Inbox - this time as a blank email message with no header, no "From" address, and no message in the body (note: for some reason, I couldn't see these blank messages in my Inbox if I logged in to my Shaw Web Mail).

I spent five days trying to stop these blank messages from showing up in my MS Outlook 2019 Inbox (e.g., creating a new email folder, moving the blank messages into the new folder from MS Outlook 2019, and then deleting the entire folder; creating email filters and adding the email addresses shown in the original message details to my Blocked Senders list, etc. in Shaw Web Mail; marking the blank messages as "read" before deleting, etc.) but they kept popping back up as blank, unread messages in my MS Outlook 2019 Inbox. I got fed up seeing I had three unread messages in my Inbox every time I opened MS Outlook 2019 and simply tried marking them as "read", but that didn't work either - the next time I opened MS Outlook 2019 and synced with the Shaw email servers (I use IMAP instead of POP3 for incoming messages) the blank messages changed from "read" back to "unread".

Shaw must have done something to fix this on their end, because these three blank unread messages mysteriously disappeared from my MS Outlook 2019 Inbox yesterday afternoon (02-Mar-2021). I'm still receiving phishing emails from these fake email addresses but they are arriving less frequently, and I can once again log in to Shaw Web Mail, mark them as Spam (or simply delete them), and then empty my Junk or Trash folder without having them reappear in my Inbox.

-------------

64-bit Win 10 Pro v2004 build 19041.804 * Firefox 86 * MS Office Home and Business 2019 v2101 Build 13628.20448 C2R

Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G 256 GB NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

-- Shaw WebMail has both "Junk" and "Trash" folders. When...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@lmacri -- Shaw WebMail has both "Junk" and "Trash" folders. When you "mark as spam", the message gets moved to the "Junk" folder. If you delete it from that folder, it is permanently deleted, and your other E-mail program (Outlook) won't see the message. So, emptying the "Trash" folder would, by itself, leave the message(s) in the "Junk" folder, where Outlook can access them.

Does this help?

0 Kudos

Problem Deleting Spam Emails / Emptying Junk Folder

lmacri
Grasshopper

Hi mdk:

No, that doesn't help. I know how the Junk and Trash folders normally work, and what was happening between 25-Feb-2021 and 01-Mar-2021 was not normal.

During that period if I flagged these three phishing emails as Spam to report them to Shaw and then emptied the Junk folder, these same three emails with identical content (i.e., having the same Subject line, From email address and text/links in the message) would re-appear in my Inbox as unread messages. If I then deleted those three phishing emails from my Inbox and then emptied the Trash folder, these three emails would re-appear in my Inbox as blank messages (i.e., all fields empty, including the Subject and From fields, no text/links displayed in the message). My Inbox would show I had 3 unread messages and these three blank emails could still be previewed or opened in MS Outlook 2019 but all the fields were empty.  There was nothing I could do to permanently delete these blank emails from my Inbox and/or Trash Folder until they finally disappeared on their own on 02-Mar-2021.
-------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v2004 build 19041.804 * Firefox 86 * MS Office Home and Business 2019 v2101 Build 13628.20448 C2R
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G 256 GB NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

0 Kudos

Hello Imacri, I encountered the same difficulty and after...

macphl
Grasshopper

Hello Imacri,

I encountered the same difficulty and after numerous tries to remove the phantom email, I decided to just leave it hoping Shaw would remedy the situation. I too signed in on 02-Mar-2021 and the email had disappeared from my inbox. Subsequent spam/junk I have been able to deal with accordingly.

Thank you sharing your post.

I contacted Shaw Help and was directed to clear my browse...

Netcarr
Grasshopper

I contacted Shaw Help and was directed to clear my browser's history and cashe. It worked!. 

0 Kudos